Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Panamera Owner - a few questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 PM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
New Panamera Owner - a few questions...

Hello all. Been lurking on this board for quite some time. During this past week, I traded out of my 2009 Quattroporte for a Panamera S. I am thrilled to say the least. What an awesome car. By way of background, I've been a Bimmer driver for the best part of 18 years, all 5's and 7's including the E65 and E60. I had never been a P car lover as I've always needed 4 seats. When I test drove a 4S, my reaction was that it handles great, but from a start, it needed alot of effort, almost like stop and go was on, but not equipped on that car. Settled for an S, and couldn't be happier (maybe a turbo in the future).. I have a couple of initial questions, hope to get some clarity:

1. PDK sometimes, from a start, shutters just a drop. Nothing alarming, but not nearly as smooth as other gears.. is this normal? is there a software update for this?
2. Wheels/tires - got the Turbo I 19" with Michelin PS2. Nice. thinking of going 20" turbo II, but don't want to compromise ride quality the way it is. thoughts?
3. car equipped with Front/Rear Park sensors, but no camera.. this is one option I wanted.. hoping to retrofit it in. I have to imagine it's already prewired and PCM 3.1 is capable, just buy the camera, install, and perhaps have dealer reprogram car?
4. Bose stereo is perfectly fine. It is much better than the QP Bose, and a tad better than the BMW premium Logic 7. Burmester would have been overkill for me.
5. Looking for a proper ECU tune when available. Evomsit should have something soon, but looks like Porsche threw 'em all for a loop with the new ECU..
6. Tire pressure - label says 37 F / 43 R.. these are the Michelin PS2 19". sound right?
7. anything else you guys can offer as feedback or ideas, or suggestions to fully enjoy the experience?

Basalt Black
Cognac natural leather

NO air suspension, NO PDCC, No sport chrono.. I'm not tracking.

Did I mention I love the car?!!!!

I will be posting this exact message on other Porsche forums in the hopes of full coverage, pardon the dupes...

thanks -

Andy

Last edited by wassy; 05-30-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 AM
dan993 is on a distinguished road
"PDK sometimes, from a start, shutters just a drop. Nothing alarming, but not nearly as smooth as other gears.. is this normal? is there a software update for this?"

You don't mention when this happens.There is a warm-up program map that raises the gear changing points and aids in heating the cats to operating temperatures. This program map is activated if the engine coolant temp is below 68 F and is deavtivated when the temp reaches 86 F. This map may be what you are describing as a shutter from start, as the shift points change and the tranny warms up. I have noticed this on cool nights and early mornings, where PDK feels a little different for a few seconds.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 AM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dan993
"PDK sometimes, from a start, shutters just a drop. Nothing alarming, but not nearly as smooth as other gears.. is this normal? is there a software update for this?"

You don't mention when this happens.There is a warm-up program map that raises the gear changing points and aids in heating the cats to operating temperatures. This program map is activated if the engine coolant temp is below 68 F and is deavtivated when the temp reaches 86 F. This map may be what you are describing as a shutter from start, as the shift points change and the tranny warms up. I have noticed this on cool nights and early mornings, where PDK feels a little different for a few seconds.
happens after starting car, I'm in S. Florida, so hot hot hot.. occassionally, it happens from a light, after warm. Again, it isn't bad, and something I can used to being PDK and not tiptronic, just want to make sure nothing wrong. rest of tranny is smooth as freaking silk.

Also thinking of trading my Turbo I 19" for Turbo II. However, they all seem to come with Pirelli PZero Rosso's, which I had on my QP. tires are soft as heck, and wear out before you leave the shop.. any opinions on the Pirelli's for the 20" Turbo II?

regarding the 20"... I've read about some ride compromise, speed compromise, etc. especially with the lower profile. any thoughts on this?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:47 AM
dan993 is on a distinguished road
I have the Spyder 20s with PZeros. They look great, are quiet, and perform well as expected.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 AM
P4S2010 is on a distinguished road
Hey Andy -

Welcome to the group. I believe we traded a few email on the QP discussion group. I landed up getting a 4S a few months back. Love the car.

D.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi D. Thanks for the welcome. I'm lovin it too. Much better for
me than the QP.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:43 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wassy
happens after starting car, I'm in S. Florida, so hot hot hot.. occassionally, it happens from a light, after warm. Again, it isn't bad, and something I can used to being PDK and not tiptronic, just want to make sure nothing wrong. rest of tranny is smooth as freaking silk.

Also thinking of trading my Turbo I 19" for Turbo II. However, they all seem to come with Pirelli PZero Rosso's, which I had on my QP. tires are soft as heck, and wear out before you leave the shop.. any opinions on the Pirelli's for the 20" Turbo II?

regarding the 20"... I've read about some ride compromise, speed compromise, etc. especially with the lower profile. any thoughts on this?
I agree on the Pirelli's. I made sure mine came with the Michelin PS2's.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
I was a four door sports car, Bimmer owner, for many years as well. Hopped in the Panamera and fell in love.

The PDK acts differently depending on the sport setting. The normal mode it rides the clutch for a while and starts in second. To me this annoying but it should be smooth. I like to start in first from a stop. You may just want to let the car break in first. Tire pressures seem correct. 20 inch wheels ride fine since the car was designed around that size and there is plenty of sidewall.

Enjoy your new ride!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
every dual clutch car i have driven has a stutter at that point of engage not engage. just picture what your feet would be doing in those cases if you had a manual and i think you can picture the idea.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:13 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
I prefer PS2s but the PZeros have worked great for me and I would be happy with either.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 PM
CorruptedSanity is on a distinguished road
mine are on Pirelli Pzeros. First time in 5 years I drive anything thats not Michelin PS2.
Cannot really compare noise & ride comfort between my P4s and 997 TT.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok. Well then I guess if I find a set of turbo II with Pirelli's, I should jump. Thanks.

I hear you guys on the PDK. Let's give it some more miles

Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
From a stop? You sure it's not a shift? Unless it's in sport or sport +, mine has shifted into fourth before it's out of the driveway (just slightly overstated). As far the tires, probably a toss up between the PS2s and the PZeros; both work very well and neither will last that long if you are doing it right. None of the OEM spec'd tires are going to let you down.