Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

panamera tt test drive - diappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 PM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
panamera tt test drive - diappointed

Took a panamera tt for a test drive tody as I thought I would trade my 2011 cayenne tubo for this and I was somewhat disappointed.This is my third leased cayenne turbo (2011 cayenne is great but I think I am bored with another suv).I am looking for a daily driver that is as fun as my 911 4S. I thought the steering was tighter in the cayenne and the sport exhaust was to quiet. The car was not as engaging as I hoped it would be. It did not have the torque vectoring or servatronic steering ,would this make the difference? Did I miss something?

Old 10-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Zymi is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what you test drove......Panamera or Cayenne, but I'm not surprised that the 911 4s is tighter and more fun. It's just as expected I guess ;o)

Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 AM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
CTT vs PTT

Prior to purchasing CTT, I test drove the PTT & 2011 CTT back to back. I picked the CTT for similar reasons i.e. tigher steering, feels faster than it is due to height, PDCC is more noticable again due to preexisting expectation of body roll in SUV, etc.

The problem is my heart was glued to the Panamera due to the looks. I started thinking about the PTT again this week but your post has helped remind me why got the CTT and not the PTT in the first place

Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 AM
borderless is on a distinguished road
I have a different opinion... I have a 2010 C4S and because of some back problems was looking to get into a Panamera or Cayenne.

I was excited to drive the 2011 Cayenne Turbo with PTV and PDCC. I was very disappointed. The ride was so buffered it felt like I was in a boat. It's certainly fast but it doesn't feel fast. And the handling was not tight enough for me.

I then borrowed a Panamera 4S with Sport Chrono+ and Sports Exhaust. I loved it. It's much tighter and feels much more connected (because it's lower to the ground than the Cayenne?) But definitely want it to be a bit faster so am in the process of getting a Panamera Turbo. I think the sports exhaust is perfect for the intended audience. I love the difference in sound and really wouldn't want it any louder.

For whatever it's worth, neither Cayenne or Panamera is going to touch the raw feel of the C4S we have. It took me some time to come to grips with that but it's a matter of physics. I'm trading some handling and "road feel" for a smoother ride for my long commute.. it's a very reasonable sacrifice for me.. but maybe not for everyone.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 AM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bgluckdo
Took a panamera tt for a test drive tody as I thought I would trade my 2011 cayenne tubo for this and I was somewhat disappointed.This is my third leased cayenne turbo (2011 cayenne is great but I think I am bored with another suv).I am looking for a daily driver that is as fun as my 911 4S. I thought the steering was tighter in the cayenne and the sport exhaust was to quiet. The car was not as engaging as I hoped it would be. It did not have the torque vectoring or servatronic steering ,would this make the difference? Did I miss something?

I think it is relative to what you are comparing it too. Expecting it to replace a C4S?! No way will it be an equal replacement. I traded my C4S in on a P4S and you are right, not as engaging especially without my 6spd. Go drive an Audi/BMW/Mercedes a model you think is comparable.

I really like the P4S for what it is, a big GT car!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:02 PM
RichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the roughRichS2010 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cfgtts
I think it is relative to what you are comparing it too. Expecting it to replace a C4S?! No way will it be an equal replacement. I traded my C4S in on a P4S and you are right, not as engaging especially without my 6spd. Go drive an Audi/BMW/Mercedes a model you think is comparable.

I really like the P4S for what it is, a big GT car!
Ditto....and at almost 1,000 lbs. heavier it will never feel and handle like my C4S (also a 6spd). However, in my opinion, the Panamera's "road handling" characteristics are superior to it's competition - MB CLS63, BMW M5 & 750i. I simply enjoy it for what it is.

Last edited by RichS2010; 10-24-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 PM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 03LX470
Prior to purchasing CTT, I test drove the PTT & 2011 CTT back to back. I picked the CTT for similar reasons i.e. tigher steering, feels faster than it is due to height, PDCC is more noticable again due to preexisting expectation of body roll in SUV, etc.

The problem is my heart was glued to the Panamera due to the looks. I started thinking about the PTT again this week but your post has helped remind me why got the CTT and not the PTT in the first place
I felt the opposite. The 2011 CTT felt quick but not significantly faster than my 09 cayenne s with modes. alot of body roll with PDCC and in sports mode.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Botox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura about
The panamera turbo has significantly better handling and acceleration. For a sedan, I liked it better than the e55, m5 I used to own, as well as audi rs6. The cayenne offers great utility and performance, I love mine. The panamera is a good compromise between a 911 and a cayenne. Can't wait for my panamera turbo, should be on a ship soon.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:24 PM
ajb_unc is on a distinguished road
I would have to agree that the panamera is a good blend between a 911 and a cayenne. I can't wait to see what future revisions look like!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 PM
DoMyDeal is on a distinguished road
I had an 08 CTT and just traded it in for the PTT with a tubi exhaust and looking at getting the TechArt performance upgrade. I love the PTT it doesnt have PDCC but is still a blast to drive even at the champion track event this past weekend it handled the turns well.

Not sure which one you drove but I'm a huge fan.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
if u have a Cayenne already why would u need a Panamera? get another 911 instead.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Botox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura aboutBotox has a spectacular aura about
I'm getting the panamera for my daily driver, the Cayenne will be my wife's car, and our mountain car for skiiing. 911 turbo is my toy...

Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Zymi is on a distinguished road
Great ;o)