Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the Panamera come with a spare tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RobertM
no you might not change the tire yourself, but AAA will.
Good point. Both my 997 have no spare, so I've learned to live without it (while crossing my fingers).

The Panamera trunk is already very small to start with. No room under the carpet. If you put a small spare in the trunk, then most of the space is gone.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:37 AM
vkvmd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by falb
I cant believe this conversation is happening
Unfortunately, some of us have jobs that require us to go in the middle of the night. Have had 2 flats while driving in for an emergency. That's why I love my run flats for a DD car like on my outgoing Bimmer. East coast cities are riddled with potholes after winter. When I ordered the P4S, didn't even think about the spare tire.....

Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vkvmd
Unfortunately, some of us have jobs that require us to go in the middle of the night. Have had 2 flats while driving in for an emergency. That's why I love my run flats for a DD car like on my outgoing Bimmer. East coast cities are riddled with potholes after winter. When I ordered the P4S, didn't even think about the spare tire.....
I wonder if there is runflats that will fit our Panamera?

If you're on call with a senior resident, then you don't need to go in at night.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:13 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
I dont see myself changing a damn flat on the side of the road anyway...

Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
I dont see myself changing a damn flat on the side of the road anyway...
agree, but if you read one of my post above you will see and hopefully agree. It is nice to have a spare that can be changed so you can continue on your way. CALL AAA or Porsche service, you dont need to change it but have a spare for someone to.

I have had several flats and the sidewall was gone and I was very very close to riding on the rim. Since there was NO sidewall left, there is NO way to keep in air. I called Mercedes and they came and changed the wheel for me.

I did not have run flats and they were 20" wheels on my DD Benz e-class.

If I got a panni, I would end up installing 21 or 22" wheels. It is just a real pain in the ... to have a tow truck come and get you and then what . . . where does the car go late at night ??? Also pulling a car on a flat bed with a flat will make a very expensive day if you have a wheel that needs to be repaired as well as a new tire.

Just makes NO sense for a DD not to have a spare. Who cares about the weight, really ??? these are street cars and NOT track cars.

again just my opinion, but not having a spare might be a good reason for me not to get a Panni

Old 03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
the puncture goo works great. i used it once on my M Coupe with Miche PS2's. i literally forgot about it and drove on it for 9 months without a hitch.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Clint Eastwood is on a distinguished road
i understand wanting a spare in your DD. however, i think most here will agree that its this philosophy of porsche of performance that makes it a car we want to own. i realize that the spare alone wont change the performance/weight of the car enough to matter on a car used as a daily driver, but if porsche took the opposite approach in general, it would become a mercedes with worse styling.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:57 PM
TheAntiCrust is on a distinguished road
to Falb (with the MP4-12C)...I can't believe that YOU "cant believe this conversation is happening"...dang, nothing like hitting the open highway with the thought that you're going to have a tire shred on you after a damage incident. Porsches do tend to be driven enthusiastically and not as like Bruce Willis in the original Die Hard, where he carefully stepped onto glass, but still ended up cutting his feet. I do not have a Panamera yet, however I do plan on acquiring one as my next car. About one of my current cars, a 2006 Boxster S, did not come with TPMS, (before TPMS became standard/required) nor did it come with the spare. So I have a car that I fear driving on longer trips. Even if it did have a spare tire (available on EBay or dealer) there is nowhere to put the damaged tire and rim. I suppose I could bring a chain and a lock, and lock it to say...an Oak tree, something someone would not cut down (endangered species???), or I could just leave my passenger behind on the side of the road, and look for a tire shop that would give me the full "Deliverance" treatment....Actually, I think that some tire manufacturer would step forth and make some run-flat tires for people who wish to use them on trips, of course I know that the performance and the noise of these tires would suffer, but at least one could make the trip without having to consume massive amounts of Valium, to relieve the stress of "what if...I get a tire problem"... I know why I have only 7000 miles on my 2006 Boxster S...and I know that I will always take my Mercedes on road trips...my Boxster S, is well rested. When I buy a Panamera (GTS)...I will at least have TPMS, and who knows, maybe enough room to throw a new extra tire in the backseat...because podunk towns may take a few days to get the right sized tire.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Some countries require a spare. Porsche makes spares for that market. They intrude on the luggage space. They are not required in the US. This opens up a lot of freedom of design for the engineers. The amplifier for the stereo goes where you would normally hide a spare tire. Do you want to give up the high-powered stereos for a spare you probably will never use for the life of the car? You could raise the floor in that area and give up luggage and storage height. Would you do that? You could do away with the rear differential and go front wheel drive just to have a spare? Maybe you would like to raise the car (and its center of gravity) regardless of the handling deterioration just to have a spare. You could then put it underneath like a pickup truck does.

The spare, the tire tools and the jack weigh enough that the deletion of those items is significant. The sealant and air pump work in at least 60% of the situations where a spare would be needed. I haven't had a disabling flat in 20 years and I know the odds are against it with modern tires and modern roads. If I was planning a high-risk excursion into the boondocks I would carry a spare in the luggage area (well tied down, of course) and if I couldn't give up that storage space, I would put on a roof rack and mount a spare up there. If I was overly paranoid I'd carry two (or three). After all, what if you have more than one flat?

Seriously guys, there are a lot of cars without spares. Another is the 911. Even if you had a spacesaver spare in a 911, you'd never get the large flat tire in the luggage compartment of the interior unless you have a cabriolet and put the top down. Or ask your passenger to get out and walk.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM
E63911K12 has a spectacular aura aboutE63911K12 has a spectacular aura about
How ironic in that 27 years of 911 ownership I've never had a flat, but within two years with my PTT, I've had to break out the repair kit (right front P Zero). This happened at night but fortunately I was near a country store with a lamp post. I decided I'd rather do the repair than wait for roadside assistance. I was a little worried about the repair but it held up fine.

The next day, I ordered new tires. The nearest shop with new Michelins was over two hours away so I kept a constant eye on the tire pressure display but it made it fine. Luckily it happened at about 19k, so I needed new tires anyway.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 PM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
I no longer have my panamera, but had a couple of flats and lucky for me I had a spare tire. I purchased it from Suncoast and it came as a kit I would HIGHLY recommend it.

If you live in an area where there is construction, you will most likely pick up a nail from the trucks that leave the construction site.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 AM
TheAntiCrust is on a distinguished road
The people that walk on water do not need spare tires....

Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 AM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Most of you probably already know this but the cayenne spare will fit on a PTT. I have 2012 CS and have used the spare on my 2012 PTT. if you are going on a road trip and don't need the trunk space I would defiantly get a 958 cayenne spare.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 AM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
I understand that the "tire goop" ruins the TPMS and makes it tough to change out the tire - any experience with this?
I have Pirelli all season on the car now - wondering how they will hold up

Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 PM
forgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really niceforgeahead is just really nice
Yes, the goop will muck up the TPMS sensor and will need to be replaced. The sealing properties works quite well. My tire guys were a bit perturbed about the mess incurred with changing!
Originally Posted by bobolouie
I understand that the "tire goop" ruins the TPMS and makes it tough to change out the tire - any experience with this?
I have Pirelli all season on the car now - wondering how they will hold up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does the Panamera come with a spare tire