Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Panamera Turbo Saga

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
fahren is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bwiele
CT Audi: I really wanted to have the paddles instead of the buttons. My M5 had the SMG transmisison and the 360 the F1 transmission, so I was really used to the paddles. However, my salesperson strongly recommended that I stick with the MF steering wheel to facilitate access to all the car's electronics, especially the instrument dial just right of center which can scroll through a lot of different functions. And the MF steering wheel can be converted with the TechArt paddle kit, the three-pronged wheel with paddles can't be made into a MF wheel, so it seemed that was a sensible way to go.

I've only driven the car for a few days, but I would say this is one of the most important bits of ordering advice I got. The MF wheel is incredibly useful to have, and now I have the best of both worlds. Until Porsche makes a stock MF steering wheel with paddles (which I assume will happen at some point), I think this is the best way to go.
The original sport wheel (the one with paddles) gives you full control over the car's computer (the instrument dial right of the center you are talking about). I know for sure, I have sport wheel with paddles in Panamera, and MF wheel in Cayenne.

Sport wheel comes with a new lever on the right side that's not available with standard MF wheel. That lever allows you to fully operate computer on that special instrument dial, just like you can do with the dial on the right side of the standard MF wheel.

That lever also allows you to answer/drop calls.

You lose ability to mute and change the volume (basically what the left dial does on the MF wheel) and that's it. You retain all other functions (controlling the computer, answering/dropping the calls). Oh, and you can't order heated sport wheel.

If I was ordering my Panamera again, I would take the sport wheel again. Paddles IMO are very important..

Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
Originally Posted by falb
What is this part at the top of the steering wheel?

That's a little window that lights up for Sport, Sport Plus and I believe also when Launch Control is active (can't confirm that - haven't launched yet. Only 400 miles on the car so far!).

Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
Originally Posted by fahren
The original sport wheel (the one with paddles) gives you full control over the car's computer (the instrument dial right of the center you are talking about). I know for sure, I have sport wheel with paddles in Panamera, and MF wheel in Cayenne.

Sport wheel comes with a new lever on the right side that's not available with standard MF wheel. That lever allows you to fully operate computer on that special instrument dial, just like you can do with the dial on the right side of the standard MF wheel.

You lose ability to mute and change the volume (basically what the left dial does on the MF wheel) and that's it. You retain all other functions (controlling the computer, answering/dropping the calls). Oh, and you can't order heated sport wheel.

If I was ordering my Panamera again, I would take the sport wheel again. Paddles IMO are very important..
I totally agree the paddles are very important. Thanks for providing the additional details about the sport steering wheel (which corrects my prior post). Perhaps the controls are easier with the MF steering wheel? Can't say for sure having not had the sport wheel. The MF wheel in my car is heated, which is a shame...I'm usually too warm! Another thing I know we can all agree on...specifying these cars properly is a challenge!

BW

Last edited by bwiele; 08-22-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by falb
Absolutely stunning car!!

Great color choices and spec. I really love the way the sport design bodywork looks. The front bumper is the perfect blend of aggressive and classy style, and integrates well with the rest of the car.

You must have found the best car dealer on the planet. It sounds like they treated you very well through your trade-ins and mishap with the 2011 panny. Makes you wonder what actually happened to the other car. My guess is someone drove it off the dock or smashed it with a crane.

All great things are worth the wait and you have one great bespoke automobile. Now test out launch control and break-in that engine.
Thanks John - I really appreciate your comments in light of all the work you've done on your car!

Pepe Porsche in White Plains handled everything perfectly - I've been trying to buy a car from them for a number of years, something interfered twice before. I'm glad we got this one done. They are a smaller dealer by Porsche standards (in my estimation) but I think that's an advantage of theirs. I can endorse them without reservation for anyone in the tri-state area.

John - as an aside, I've gotten approval to join the Advisory Board too (an internal compliance approval was necessary). I'm looking forward to taking that company to the next level with you!

BW

Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
TexasJake is on a distinguished road
On my Pan S, the section lights up with "Sport" or "Sport Plus" when either of those modes are selected. I guess it is remind you what the shift/performance program you are running in without looking down at the console buttons....

Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by fahren

Can you switch radio stations from the wheel/lever, or do you need to fumble with a button on the console? For me, this is really the only problem I have with the sport wheel.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by umwolverine
Can you switch radio stations from the wheel/lever, or do you need to fumble with a button on the console? For me, this is really the only problem I have with the sport wheel.
With the MF wheel you can switch stations on the wheel without fumbling with the console. I don't know about the sport wheel.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:33 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Nice sport wheels! I PERSONALLY like them even more in black.

How are you going to solve the 5 person issue? One in the boot? =)

Old 08-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by kip
Nice sport wheels! I PERSONALLY like them even more in black.

How are you going to solve the 5 person issue? One in the boot? =)
I historically didn't like black wheels - appeared to me like a design opportunity missed. But I've started to come around on that and have started to like them, but only on light colored cars (white, silver, etc.). I think it takes something away on a dark color like my blue...

Oh, and when all 5 of us are going, we'll take the SUV.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I historically didn't like black wheels - appeared to me like a design opportunity missed. But I've started to come around on that and have started to like them, but only on light colored cars (white, silver, etc.). I think it takes something away on a dark color like my blue...

I never really got these 4 seat cars CLS etc (even though I bought one =) ) OK I get that they make cars with 4 seats, but why cant they make a 5th seat as an optional extra? Mercedes does it, because they have the E for people who want 5, with the Panamera you dont have a choice...

Old 08-23-2011, 04:48 PM
fahren is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by umwolverine
Yes, you can. Just like with normal MF wheel, you need to switch the multi-function display to the "Audio" menu and select a radio station from there. The only difference is that you use lever for that, while on the MF steering wheel you use the right rotary ****. The principle is the same.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 AM
AndyLH335 has a spectacular aura aboutAndyLH335 has a spectacular aura about

Are you sure they only look good on light colors?

Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
I agree what everyone else is saying about the sport steering wheel vs MF debate. I had the sport on my 2011 and on my 2012 CTT. I can do everything with it that the MF wheel can do, except volume control. And really, the volume **** is not THAT far over...

I also got voice control on my 2012 and that fills in the gap as well even more. VC is implemented very well with Porsche compared to previous cars (esp. BMW, Mercedes).

Congrats on the Panny Turbo! Beautiful car and colour combo!

J

Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by AndyLH335
In this case, sir, I stand corrected. That looks HOT!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
kip
Originally Posted by AndyLH335
I also liked them and would have wanted them, but they were twice the price of the turbo II wheels, and in my opinnion they were not THAT much better =)

BTW nice pic!

Last edited by kip; 08-25-2011 at 12:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Panamera Turbo Saga