Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgot to order sport exhaust - options ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:08 PM
anthem is on a distinguished road
Forgot to order sport exhaust - options ?

So, the exhaust on the PTT without the sport exhaust is like an Audi Jetta. . .

If I want to retrofit an exhaust and still have it valve based (turn on/off) - what are my options ? I know there are a few that can work with a controlled valve. Is one able to buy the switch on the Porsche console to control a 3rd party exhaust/valve ? or you have to just get use a 3rd party exhaust valve control and thats it ? Thanks

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 PM
aka_tl is on a distinguished road
I'd be interested to know as well.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota sells the OEM sport exhaust for the PTT for $3395.00

Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM
I think most dealers can get the OEM sports exhaust. The question is whether I can get the OEM sports exhaust button and control 3rd party exhausts like say Remus, Akropovic, etc - basically 3rd party exhausts that also use bypass valves. Thanks

Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Brian 1215 is on a distinguished road
i had my ptt without the PSE option either, it did sound like a jetta. I den got the techart exhaust and deleted the resonator, replaced it with x-pipe, and now its sounds way better. Unfortunately when i bought the techart i was unaware that there was a version with the valve opener. I suggest u get techart exhaust with the valve opener then delete the resonator, i think it'll sound reasonably nasty.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Brian pranoto
i had my ptt without the PSE option either, it did sound like a jetta. I den got the techart exhaust and deleted the resonator, replaced it with x-pipe, and now its sounds way better. Unfortunately when i bought the techart i was unaware that there was a version with the valve opener. I suggest u get techart exhaust with the valve opener then delete the resonator, i think it'll sound reasonably nasty.
Brian

Thanks. will look into the techart as well.. . Didn't even think about that one. Nice to add another one to the list of exhausts with valves. Just hope one of them can be cleanly controlled with an exhaust switch. I like to run them in sport mode all the time, but my wife will kill me if its always "loud" - so have to have some sort of bypass switch.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Its good that you didnt order pse if you like it on all the time. The oem turns itself off and needs to be put on every time. Check that you take one where it stays on.

Volkswagen Jetta...

Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 PM
aka_tl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kip
Its good that you didnt order pse if you like it on all the time. The oem turns itself off and needs to be put on every time. Check that you take one where it stays on.

Volkswagen Jetta...
So you have to press the button every time you start the car if you want it on?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 AM
Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, but you can pull the vacuum hoses on the exhaust flap cylinder between the muffler and the tailpipe cover to bypass the center console switch. You can just reach under the tailpipe and disconnect or reconnect the hoses, very simple.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 AM
sapaman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kip

Volkswagen Jetta...
This issue has been addressed on new models, at least for the new PGTS I have. The oem PSE setting is remembered and stays on all the time if you want.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sapaman
This issue has been addressed on new models, at least for the new PGTS I have. The oem PSE setting is remembered and stays on all the time if you want.
What about sport mode, sport + modes, do they stay on?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 AM
sapaman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kip
What about sport mode, sport + modes, do they stay on?
Suspension settings still reset back to comfort each startup

Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM
I know about the PSE setting resetting itself (and cylinder).

But here is the question - I don't have the PSE button on my console which probably means I don't have the vacuum hoses/pump(??) to control the valves either, right ?

I understand the advantages of having it on all the time, but I do need to be able to "turn it down" occasionally so I would like to know if there are 3rd party exhausts with valves that have the ability to be controlled from the center console switch ? I understand akropovic has an exhaust with valves that has their own wireless controller. Techart apparently has a valved version but I don't know if it assumes that the button to control it (as well as the hoses/pump are there already).

Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Over my head now I would talk to one of the master techs at your dealer and I am sure you can get the answers you need.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Ok - just a follow-up on more information for people who might be following.

Even if you don't get the PSE option, you still have a vacuum/host operating a valve in the exhaust. It kicks in around 3500 rpms or so.. . .

Most of the manufacturers (spoke to two) don't try and retrofit into a switch on the center console for the main reason that their installers don't want to mess around with trim pieces and wiring into the vehicle. Apparently German cars in general a(Porsche/Mercedes), it is difficult to get wiring into the cabin (firewalls generally), and most installers (outside of audio guys) don't like to work with interior trim panels. So they either use the stock valve controls or wireless valve control (a la Akro).

Also found out that anything catback (down pipe on back) generally involves very little performance gains if you are looking for that. Apparently the bulk of any performance gains are gotten from replacing the downpipes. . .

Since I'm looking mainly for auditory improvements to my VW, I'm not as concerned with the downpipe. . .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forgot to order sport exhaust - options ?