Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from Panamera S to a Panamera 6 Cylinder???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 AM
donfenn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by disden
It seems like you drive a lot, so one can assume its mostly highway mileage. If that's the case then V6 vs V8 shouldn't matter much. I had a V6 loaner recently when my GTS was getting its 10k service; it was a great daily driver/highway cruiser. It certainly isn't quick, but for long commutes I could easily live with it, as long as it had Turbo II wheels!

Not sure what I am going to do, but this morning my check engine light is on so I will be going by the dealer again later... I will test drive a V6 again and will see how much they really want to deal...

Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by donfenn
I have a 2011 S which is way over on miles under lease...its also almost due for brakes and a 40,000 service will happen within the next 4 months.. I have another 10 months on my lease but its likely that I will be over allotted miles by 9000 or more. In other words I am upside down, and have a black hole ahead with respect to cost of this car

Meanwhile, my dealer told me that they can take me out of my Panamera S early, with Porsche paying the balance of the lease-- and any excess mileage on the lease would be waived if I stay under the 36,000 mile allowance of the total lease.

They have offered me a new well equipped Panamera Platinum Edition for less than my old lease---this would get me out from the excessive extra costs that I am facing soon. I would love to wait for the updated 2014 version, but the economies of the switch will not work out as well next fall when the 2014 cars arrive--and any Porsche assistance to get out of lease without mileage penalties will end shortly,

I drove the 2013 6 cylinder and found it pretty responsive for city driving.. It does not have the grunt of the 8 cylinder during higher speed highway situations, but it feels pretty good. I think I could live with it, but I am curious if others have made the switch from an S to a V-6..?

Who else has gone from an Panamer S to a V-6 --- and how has it worked out for you??
Just bought a v6 panamera and love it. but i didnt need power as i have a Bentley CGT LoL

Cliff

Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
If you do not plan to track it, then the V6 is more than adequate for street and highway use. Just make sure to drive with the sport button pressed.

I have driven S, 4S and turbo. I actually gets frustrated driving the turbo around town as I can hardly use its power.

The V6 is actually as fast as my ex-993 tiptronic. You will not go wrong with the V6.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have a 700 Hp Turbo , an M3 , and a highly speced V6 Cayenne . I do not feel like I am missing one thing in the Cayenne . It's a street SUV and with 300 Hp it's not a Turbo (but neither is a v8 BTW) but it's just fine . In fact the light engine , decent mileage , and all the comfort features make it a completely practical vehicle.

You'll love the V6.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:04 AM
donfenn is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice and input. I was totally undecided, but ended up making the switch after another unscheduled trip to the dealer due to a "reduced engine power" light on my S. They gave me a V-6 loaner for the day and it was surprisingly nice.... so I made a deal on a nicely equipped V-6 which saved me money, and helped me avoid about $6000 or more in upcoming cost liabilities.. It made economic sense..

No question that the grunt of the V-8 is missing in certain situations, but the general performance for day to day city driving is responsive. This is a my daily driver in L.A. and the V-6 covers that ground pretty well around town.

IMO, the car actually handles better in some driving situations. I took it out for a handling workout last last night on L.A.'s Mulholland drive and I was actually able to throw it around a bit quicker through some of the curvy sections than I did with my S. It feels just a bit lighter and might be better balanced on twisty roads at high speed. (by the way, I can only imagine how great the new 2014 S is going to feel with the lighter twin turbo engine and more power in the Panamera)

By the way, I love a few of the subtle upgrades on the 2013 over my 2011... Getting door lock buttons on the doors fixes my biggest complaint about my Panamera. It's also nice to have a readable clock, a hard drive in the sound system and some PCM updates.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice and input. I was totally undecided, but ended up making the switch after another unscheduled trip to the dealer due to a "reduced engine power" light on my S. They gave me a V-6 loaner for the day and it was surprisingly nice.... so I made a deal on a nicely equipped V-6 which saved me money, and helped me avoid about $6000 or more in upcoming cost liabilities.. It made economic sense..

No question that the grunt of the V-8 is missing in certain situations, but the general performance for day to day city driving is responsive. This is a my daily driver in L.A. and the V-6 covers that ground pretty well around town.

IMO, the car actually handles better in some driving situations. I took it out for a handling workout last last night on L.A.'s Mulholland drive and I was actually able to throw it around a bit quicker through some of the curvy sections than I did with my S. It feels just a bit lighter and might be better balanced on twisty roads at high speed. (by the way, I can only imagine how great the new 2014 S is going to feel with the lighter twin turbo engine and more power in the Panamera)

By the way, I love a few of the subtle upgrades on the 2013 over my 2011... Getting door lock buttons on the doors fixes my biggest complaint about my Panamera. It's also nice to have a readable clock, a hard drive in the sound system and some PCM updates.
Just did my first road trip from NO to FL IN MY V6 love it.

Cliff

Old 05-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Ryan9095 is on a distinguished road

Congrats! I'm glad you decided to go through it. It's a beautiful car and is more than adequate for daily driving needs. Plus, you were able to save $; always a good thing!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Congratulations! It sounds like you're pleased and that's all that matters!