Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20" vs 19" rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:09 PM
carsnob is on a distinguished road
20" vs 19" rims

I'm guessing not a big difference, but nothing like your voices of experience...
Presently riding on 19's on a 4S and was considering keeping them for winter tires and using 20's for summer.
Question: with 20" rims, there's less tire between the rim and the road so is it a harder rides on less than smooth paved roads, and you hit the bumps harder? Of course the tires are pricier as well.
Any comments from those who have switched?
Thanks!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by carsnob
I'm guessing not a big difference, but nothing like your voices of experience...
Presently riding on 19's on a 4S and was considering keeping them for winter tires and using 20's for summer.
Question: with 20" rims, there's less tire between the rim and the road so is it a harder rides on less than smooth paved roads, and you hit the bumps harder? Of course the tires are pricier as well.
Thanks!
If you put Michelin Pilot Sports on the 20" wheels, the ride is superb. Not so much with the Pirellis.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by umwolverine
If you put Michelin Pilot Sports on the 20" wheels, the ride is superb. Not so much with the Pirellis.
Interesting! Michelins are a bit pricier... what is the difference?
Quieter? Better shock absorption?
The Pirelli P Zeros are generally pretty good as winter tires though...

Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Interesting! Michelins are a bit pricier... what is the difference?
Quieter? Better shock absorption?
The Pirelli P Zeros are generally pretty good as winter tires though...
Both, P Zero's are loud, I test drove a Cayman S with 20" with P Zero's and couldn't stand all the noise. I have Michellin PS2 on 20"s and they are a lot more comfortable and quiet. Tires obviously makes a huge difference. I have 19"s on Nitto's and my 20"s feels more comfortable.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ynot
Both, P Zero's are loud, I test drove a Cayman S with 20" with P Zero's and couldn't stand all the noise. I have Michellin PS2 on 20"s and they are a lot more comfortable and quiet. Tires obviously makes a huge difference. I have 19"s on Nitto's and my 20"s feels more comfortable.
Good to know! thanks!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
Funny to hear the different opinions....

My 2010 4S came with 20 inch Pirelli P Zeros, which I loved...but they wore out real fast. I got separate 18 inch Pirelli winter tires which rule and have a fantastic ride. Decided to go out on a limb and try Michelin Pilot Super Sports 20 inch for my new summer tires...cheaper and supposed to last longer. Can't comment on the latter yet, but they sure seem harsh compared to the Pirellis! Don't know how much of that is the tire vs the size; all I can say now is when these wear out I'm going back to Pirelli, and my next car years in the future I'm going with 19 inch rims.

Oh, and whoever said P Zeros were good in the winter must have meant the Pirelli winter tire...the Sottozero, just looked it up on TireRack.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Thanks!
20's will ride perfectly. use the 19's for winter and go to 20's I think the car will look and handle better without any ride compromise
the ride is more affected by the suspension setting than 19 vs 20 in wheels. as you can see on my car there is plenty of tire there. 22's are a different story!!

Attached Images   

Last edited by tom kerr; 05-16-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 AM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
One of the most important factors in tire performance is air pressure. If you're running a high pressure (45+ psi), you'll notice a much harsher ride. I set the cold tire pressures around 36-38 (depending on winter/summer) to get a hot pressure of around 41. Much nicer ride and the car will stick better as well.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:07 PM
hummerchine is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice um...I was thinking of trying lower pressure!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
mapcar is on a distinguished road
Thanks!
I do the same thing - use the 19" wheels with snows for winter and 20" for summer. I think the ride is great with Pilot Sport 2s, and the roads are certainly not great here in MA. Turn in is better too. My OEM 19's were cast but the Tubro IIs are forged, so the weight is about the same. In fact, I got some HRE 20' wheels and have listed my OEM Turbo IIs with PS2s in the For Sale forum. They were used about 1600 miles and are as new. If you have any interest, let me know., but I think you'll be fine with 20s.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I had 20" Michelin Pilots on my M6 and I can concur that they are fantastic tires...quiet, very grippy, and superb handling. The only problems I experienced with them was wear...they're soft treads and won't last much under aggressive driving...usually about 8K miles under "normal" driving.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:30 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
I have 2016 Pan4 Adaptive Air Suspension incl. PASM with 19" classic wheels https://s3.amazonaws.com/rp-part-ima...d029c50b5a.gif similar to turbo II 20" wheel. The original Continental tires need to replace in the summer. I am in Califonia Bay area, so I like to use Michelin all season tires.
I am thinking to get 20" classic turbo https://s3.amazonaws.com/rp-part-ima...46d460271b.gif for comfort and better handling. Still consider this option, LOL ... I would appreciate for your feedback from owners who have 20" wheels

Thank you

Old 03-24-2018, 05:32 PM
orangeokie is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks!
I would guess that all of the negatives you mention are true. Only reason to go to 20's is for aesthetics if you like it.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:50 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
LOL ... Thank you for your honest feedback. That is $ expensive for 20's aesthetics look. I just went to American Tire to rebalance the wheels and also checked out Mich All Season 20” tires. They are $1,625 not including Tax and Installation. OK, Stay with Original 19" the classic rims, they are actually very nice for my PAN4 Black metallic. The 19" Mich All Season Tires are $1.2K OOD.

Thank You