Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove the "base" 3.6l V-6 today, all I got to say is....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Drove the "base" 3.6l V-6 today, all I got to say is....

WOW, what a great engine!! Powerful, great torque, smooth power band.

I cant believe how well this car drives for its size with this engine!

Honestly, for 99% of panny owners I cant see why you would ever want or need anything more??

(people on this forum dont count!!)

Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
wow....seriously Tom? that is impressive... I have not driven any variant other than the GTS, but it is so intoxicating, I cannot imagine being happy with anything other than this one, or the PTS baby!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I completely agree with you Tom.

I would go out on the limb and say, if you were to do a blind sampling test between the V6 and the NA V8, it would be hard to differentiate the difference between them.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
I cant believe how well this car drives for its size with this engine!
I do agree with this statement, however...

When first looking at the Panamera I originally drove the V6 and thought it was impressive for a V6, but not great overall. It could move reasonably fast but it felt like it was at its limit doing so. Then I tried out a GTS and found the performance I would expect for that type of car. I bought a GTS.

My GTS has been in the shop for a week and I have a V6 loaner. I still find a very big difference in their performance. I notice the V6 laboring at going up hills and doing things like making a quick left turn before oncoming traffic that I would never even notice in the GTS.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cole328
wow....seriously Tom? that is impressive... I have not driven any variant other than the GTS, but it is so intoxicating, I cannot imagine being happy with anything other than this one, or the PTS baby!
yeah, ah you dont count, you would be crushed with the V-6, totally quiet. I was trying to give Porsche kudos cause I was surprised at how proficient the engine really was. Darn close to V-8 I agree.

no were close to the visceral feel of the GTS or the sterile power of a turbo but come on guys it still for 99% pretty darn good!

just a thought

Old 08-01-2013, 04:27 PM
donfenn is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the post.. You have a baseline of experience in a higher performance Panamera, so your opinion is valued

I am one who went from a 2011 S to the 2013 V6 Platinum... I was hesitant going from the V8 to the V6, but I am actually very satisfied with the V6 after driving it for a six weeks.

For 90% of my daily driving the V6 is perfect... Its a great power band for city driving, and it is smooth and responsive, although from time to time I might miss just a bit of the V8's grunt when I am doing a highway passing drill. My mileage is about 5 mpg better with the V6, and I also think it handles as well -- or even better than my S because its a bit lighter in the front end (note that both of my cars had same 20" wheels)

By the way, the 2013 version of the tranny has a better balanced gearing than the 2011 version that I drove when I first leased my Panamera S.. I did not like the V6 as much at that time---but the 2013 feels more responsive.

I should also comment that most people do not even notice I changed cars... The only folks who know the difference are Porsche owners and a few enthusiasts.

By the way, the base V6 in the 2014 is supposed to gain 10 HP and get even quicker.....

Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 PM
disden will become famous soon enough
I agree that for highway driving and simple daily driving around town the V6 is great. If you had no experience driving any other flavor of panamera it would more the suffice. I had one as a loaner recently, it was nice. Certainly I like my GTS better, but V6 is good car; just needs 20s though.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM
2thDoctor is on a distinguished road
When I bought my V6 I purposely only test drove this first....if I was happy with it I was not even going to tease myself with trying out any other the higher models bc it was out of my budget. Only problem was as they were putting on my new plate on the lot, this GTS starts his car up right beside me....drool!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by 2thDoctor
When I bought my V6 I purposely only test drove this first....if I was happy with it I was not even going to tease myself with trying out any other the higher models bc it was out of my budget. Only problem was as they were putting on my new plate on the lot, this GTS starts his car up right beside me....drool!

you are still ok swap out your mufflers

Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Originally Posted by Fkim011
I completely agree with you Tom.

I would go out on the limb and say, if you were to do a blind sampling test between the V6 and the NA V8, it would be hard to differentiate the difference between them.
Uh. I have done a back to back and u can definitely feel a diff. But the base car is more than enough to have fun and enjoy. Extremely competent. And given its not a sports car, why do you need more? If its going to be your only P car, then get the S or IMO the GTS is the best car in the platform. But if you have another sports car not sure why you would NEED more. Now if money is not object well.....

Old 08-02-2013, 07:40 AM
2thDoctor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tom kerr
you are still ok swap out your mufflers
Any recommendations on which mufflers to get that won't burn a hole in the pocket. Getting married soon and wedding costs are holding me down...scared that after the wedding I'm going to have the chains on ...haha

Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Any recommendations on which mufflers to get that won't burn a hole in the pocket. Getting married soon and wedding costs are holding me down...scared that after the wedding I'm going to have the chains on ...haha
dont want to blow your wedding money. I would keep an eye out on ebay they pop up all the time. as for make, honestly yours is so quite and restrictive any major brand name would be a HUGE difference in sound.

for cheap you could delete the resonator pipe and replace it with Fabspeeds X pipe, they also have a good V-6 muffler. Vivid has some nice choices also.

good luck with the car and marriage!!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Spend like there is no tomorrow as marriage indeed bringeth the handcuffs for the wallet. Upgrade your wheels, flash your ECU get carbon fiber hood before its too late!!! Lol. Jk. Congrats. I think tubi is the best balance of tone and quality

Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I was also impressed by the base model when I drove my first Panamera... The trick is to not drive the others, and live in the bliss. lol!

Once you're tainted by the GTS, Turbo, or Executive, etc..., it's game over.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 AM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
Best advice that I can give you is to either DO IT NOW BEFORE or have a stash money somewhere AFTER and use it wisely stupid (wisely as exhaust, ECU, wheels, body kits, etc... not the other wise )

Good luck with your plans and have a happily ever married life (or try to)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove the "base" 3.6l V-6 today, all I got to say is....