Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS... Only one complaint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
GTS... Only one complaint

6500 miles, and a smile on my face every single time I start it up. Comfortable commuting DD in sport mode. Sports+ for the reverse commute home, and holy smokes.., the car just has a new personality.

That said, first gear on this car is annoyinfly( very annoyingly) short...like you need to shift second gear almost instantly ( in manual mode ). Any one more car savvy than me have any idea why Porsche would do this?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:20 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
They did it for the 0-60 time
You need a gear ratio like that for initial acceleration not so much for daily driving

Old 11-27-2013, 04:58 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Tom....that makes complete sense. In "sport mode," even though more aggressive than comfort, still starts in "second" gear, likely for the reason you mention. SO, when I drove in sports+ mode, with paddles, I generally shift to 2nd pretty quickly, as there is still so much power in that second gear, that it pushes me back in my seat.

Curious, does the Turbo S (and presumably the Turbo) have essentially the same 1st gear issue?, or not so much given the turbos?

Old 11-27-2013, 06:05 AM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
my previous 2010 turbo and my current 2013 turbo s has the same issue - sport plus is really a track only mode in my opinion. Every time I try to drive it hard in sport plus and manually shift it, I inevitably screw it up because it's at the rev limiter so quickly. I find if I'm going to put in sport plus it's best to leave it in auto and let the car do the shifting, it holds the gears really well on it;s own.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cole328
Thanks Tom....that makes complete sense. In "sport mode," even though more aggressive than comfort, still starts in "second" gear, likely for the reason you mention. SO, when I drove in sports+ mode, with paddles, I generally shift to 2nd pretty quickly, as there is still so much power in that second gear, that it pushes me back in my seat.

Curious, does the Turbo S (and presumably the Turbo) have essentially the same 1st gear issue?, or not so much given the turbos?
yes and really the sport plus is a race track mode it makes my PTTS and my 991 like a caged tiger on the street!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 AM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cvprez
my previous 2010 turbo and my current 2013 turbo s has the same issue - sport plus is really a track only mode in my opinion. Every time I try to drive it hard in sport plus and manually shift it, I inevitably screw it up because it's at the rev limiter so quickly. I find if I'm going to put in sport plus it's best to leave it in auto and let the car do the shifting, it holds the gears really well on it;s own.
As mentioned, leaving the car do the shifting is the advisable way to really take advantage of the PDK. In "manual" mode it lags and the rev limiter is hit more often. For pleasure and "fun" do manual, for real performance the TCU is faster in AUTO.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Good feedback... Shifting in manual is sooo darn fun tho... Especially that crazy " blip" on downshifts. I love being able to control that part. What fun cars

Old 11-27-2013, 01:18 PM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
+1, my car only sees stays in AUTO when my daughter is in the car, or I'm going to work.

Coming back from work is "manual" as well as on spirited driving.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Old 12-01-2013, 12:43 PM
carsnob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cole328
6500 miles, and a smile on my face every single time I start it up. Comfortable commuting DD in sport mode. Sports+ for the reverse commute home, and holy smokes.., the car just has a new personality.

That said, first gear on this car is annoyinfly( very annoyingly) short...like you need to shift second gear almost instantly ( in manual mode ). Any one more car savvy than me have any idea why Porsche would do this?
Cole;
I agree that 1st gear in manual mode is annoying. So much so that I just hit the shifter back to auto in many cases. It seems pointless to have to shift out of 1st so soon. Too bad they didn't come up with a "comfort / sport" option to bypass this. (In my Mercedes S 600 the comfort mode setting starts off in a higher gear). In manual mode you should be able to start off in 2nd if you chose to since we're not racing at every stop...