Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro-hopefully ordering GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 PM
RattleItHome is on a distinguished road
Intro-hopefully ordering GTS

Hi All, new to forum. I've been driving a 2005 Range Rover HSE the past 100k miles and it's time to pass it to my daughter. That means it's time for Dad to get a new car.

It's tempting to go for the 510hp direct replacement of the Rangie, but geez I've heard nothing but bad news, and the dealer in my area stinks too. My wife drives an '06 Cayenne S that has been great, and the Porsche service department actually seems to know what they are doing.

Bottom line is I'd much rather own another Porsche than another Range Rover. My RR never even touched gravel. Ridiculous. I'm going to err in the other direction this time with the Panamera GTS, which will never see a race track! I'm such a boring driver.

I've done the build a million times and am pretty stuck on yachting blue with the two-tone leather in black/cream and the mahogany package with steering wheel and gear selector.

The only hiccup could be if the Maserati dealer can sell a Quattoporte GTS for similar/same as the Panamera GTS. That'd be a tough call.

It's great to see so many people enjoying their Panameras It's another story on the forth generation Range Rover boards.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Are the new RR's having all sorts of problems?

I've owned 2 of the last generation ( 06 and 08 supercharged) and they've given me all sorts of dumb problems after 40k.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 PM
KBahn is on a distinguished road
Kinda different ride between the Rangie and Panny.... But as 'her indoors' has the natural replacement in the Cayenne for when you want to lug loads, you won't go far wrong with the Panny GTS for your personal gratification. 4WD system will do you just fine for the WA winters and when the sun comes out and the roads get dry...... Vrooooom...!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 PM
super50 has a spectacular aura aboutsuper50 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fkim011
Are the new RR's having all sorts of problems?

I've owned 2 of the last generation ( 06 and 08 supercharged) and they've given me all sorts of dumb problems after 40k.
+1 I had no idea the RRs were having so many problems…my wife wanted one, but it would be 8 months if ordered today…none available in the dealerships…suggests high demand.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Long waits for the RR due to artificial demand created by production. The dealer in my town is selling one on the lot at $10k over MSRP. Probably sold by now. The bad part for new RR owners is that if (when) something goes wrong, parts are non-existent. Apparently the shift dial that pops up likes to get stuck down and while in drive. A $0.37 part takes 3 weeks, and the $100+k vehicle sits... the usual air suspension problems... the worst IMHO is body panels so poorly gapped that the doors and tailgate are known to actually rub and wear the paint. If you get into an accident in a 2014 RR you are truly, truly FUBAR. A Porsche is an engineering masterpiece compared to a Range Rover.

I have over 20 speed bumps a day of the huge variety... will a Panny GTS bruise my kidneys?

My dealer has a 2014 GTS and 2 2013 GTSs that just arrived. Going to check them out. Maybe get a 24 hour test drive to try those speed bumps. Guys' Lambos have to take them with the nose raised and at an angle.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by RattleItHome
Long waits for the RR due to artificial demand created by production. The dealer in my town is selling one on the lot at $10k over MSRP. Probably sold by now. The bad part for new RR owners is that if (when) something goes wrong, parts are non-existent. Apparently the shift dial that pops up likes to get stuck down and while in drive. A $0.37 part takes 3 weeks, and the $100+k vehicle sits... the usual air suspension problems... the worst IMHO is body panels so poorly gapped that the doors and tailgate are known to actually rub and wear the paint. If you get into an accident in a 2014 RR you are truly, truly FUBAR. A Porsche is an engineering masterpiece compared to a Range Rover.

I have over 20 speed bumps a day of the huge variety... will a Panny GTS bruise my kidneys?

My dealer has a 2014 GTS and 2 2013 GTSs that just arrived. Going to check them out. Maybe get a 24 hour test drive to try those speed bumps. Guys' Lambos have to take them with the nose raised and at an angle.
Will they let you take the car home for 24 hours? That would be cool.
No dealer around me has any new - they are all usually spoken for!
And the used ones are still $$$$

Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 PM
I was just at the dealer this morning gazing at a 2014 black on black GTS. Sales guy was surprised it hadn't sold in the week they have had it. He also showed me their build allocation, and it looks like I'm in trouble. No allocations until at least August, with delivery 90 days thereafter. OOOORRRR.... quickly change the build on a GTS they already have ordered but will be locked in within a couple days, with delivery April 25. That means I'd have to act fast, i.e. come up with a miracle sales pitch to the wife. We'll see, but I think my timeline is all messed up.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Nwills is on a distinguished road
Funny enough I just took delivery of both the 2014 Panny GTS and a 2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

Obviously these two vehicles are not comparable...

The Panny GTS is one of the finest and greatest driving vehicle I've ever owned! My last sedan was a 2013 BMW 650 Gran Coupe xDrive and the Panny is leaps and bounds superior to the Bimmer.

The handling, drivability, comfort and overall engineering on the Panny is as good as it gets.

I cannot agree with your experience with the Range Rover. This is my first RRS and so far it's great! The quality is not quite on par with a Porsche but it remains a very special vehicle. I've only put 2000 miles on it so I can't speak on long term reliability but I do enjoy the drive and finish of this truck.

Having said that, if I had to choose between the two...hands down the Panny!!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:58 AM
I was just at the dealer this morning gazing at a 2014 black on black GTS. Sales guy was surprised it hadn't sold in the week they have had it. He also showed me their build allocation, and it looks like I'm in trouble. No allocations until at least August, with delivery 90 days thereafter. OOOORRRR.... quickly change the build on a GTS they already have ordered but will be locked in within a couple days, with delivery April 25. That means I'd have to act fast, i.e. come up with a miracle sales pitch to the wife. We'll see, but I think my timeline is all messed up.
You should go for it...order one exactly how you want it. April is just around the corner! If you are going to spend 125K, the car should be exactly how you want it in color, options etc. I am sure your wife will love it.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:53 PM
tguerino is on a distinguished road
Discounts on Maserati Quatttraporte....

I saw your initial post said you were thinking of a Maserati Quattraporte also. There is (or was) serious factory money to dealer to sweeten the deal on the GTS. Last week I bought a 2014 Quattraporte Sport GTS (with the 523 hp V8 engine) for nearly $40k off the MSRP. I went to dealership to look at the V6 model and ended up buying the more expensive V8 GTS model after dealer informed me there was $30k factory money available to dealer to help move the V8's.

That factory money, combined with the dealers discount, netted me nearly $40k off the MSRP. I ended up getting the V8 for less money than the V6 would have cost me so it was a no-brainer. Unfortunately my wife loves the looks of the Maserati and is trying to take it over as her daily driver so looks like I need to get the Panamera GTS for me....just thought you should know there is crazy money available to discount the Maserati if you are considering it.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i love that yatching blue - i specked a totally loaded white GTS this time last year but when my spouse saw it in white she said no - if i had just done it in yatching blue it would have been a go.

i like that wood combo on the black/brown interior

Old 01-15-2014, 05:51 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i love that yatching blue - i specked a totally loaded white GTS this time last year but when my spouse saw it in white she said no - if i had just done it in yatching blue it would have been a go.

i like that wood combo on the black/brown interior
So true. We were looking at all the colors but when my wife saw the yachting blue she immediately said that was the one.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
That Maserati is simply not a good looking car unfort....from numerous angles, it looks like a Toyota Avalon. Plus, my buddy just got the new one, and he has nothing but mechanical issues.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Lovegts is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tguerino
I saw your initial post said you were thinking of a Maserati Quattraporte also. There is (or was) serious factory money to dealer to sweeten the deal on the GTS. Last week I bought a 2014 Quattraporte Sport GTS (with the 523 hp V8 engine) for nearly $40k off the MSRP. I went to dealership to look at the V6 model and ended up buying the more expensive V8 GTS model after dealer informed me there was $30k factory money available to dealer to help move the V8's.

That factory money, combined with the dealers discount, netted me nearly $40k off the MSRP. I ended up getting the V8 for less money than the V6 would have cost me so it was a no-brainer. Unfortunately my wife loves the looks of the Maserati and is trying to take it over as her daily driver so looks like I need to get the Panamera GTS for me....just thought you should know there is crazy money available to discount the Maserati if you are considering it.
Sadly can't ever imagine that happening with a Porsche.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 PM
I had it in the palm of my hand and let it fly away. I got the, "If you really feel strongly..." rebuttal from the wife and I knew to save my strength for another day. We really didn't want to feel rushed. I can't believe that if I come in with dollars in hand they won't be able to sell me a car.

On a new front, my wife LOVES the Maserati GTS. I think partially because she's obstinent but also because they really are kind of cool in a strange euro-ish way I am not familiar with. Could I learn to love it? Lots to choose from at local dealership.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intro-hopefully ordering GTS