Sponsored by:

chipped windshield question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
chipped windshield question

Hey guys,

P4S with a chip in windshield which seems to be sort of palpable on exterior but most of the damage is within the glass. Any suggestions? Is this covered by the warranty at all?

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 PM
super50 has a spectacular aura aboutsuper50 has a spectacular aura about
Doubt it. Insurance claim most likely for windshield repair or replacement.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by super50
Doubt it. Insurance claim most likely for windshield repair or replacement.
+1...no way on earth warranty covers that. I would claim it and get it fixed. Windshield chips/cracks make me nervous at speed.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
SoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to beholdSoCalPamTurbo is a splendid one to behold
I had a chip in my glass the size of a dime. My insurance company covers fixes on the windshield via Safelite Autoglass. They have a mobile service vehicle that came to my company parking lot to fix it. To make the story short, I wouldn't recommend them. They didn't do a good job.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:10 PM
super50 has a spectacular aura aboutsuper50 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SoCalPamTurbo
I had a chip in my glass the size of a dime. My insurance company covers fixes on the windshield via Safelite Autoglass. They have a mobile service vehicle that came to my company parking lot to fix it. To make the story short, I wouldn't recommend them. They didn't do a good job.
I was under the impression that the replacement OEM glass is expensive and can take some time to arrive....Safelite prob uses a generic replacement.

Either ways, the replacement glass can never be as good a fit as the one the car comes with..

Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 PM
2thDoctor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SoCalPamTurbo
I second that....they came out twice....horrible job. Complained to the GM and he was useless too. Charlotte, NC ....stay away.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:02 AM
pgeoph is on a distinguished road
As of yet there are no replacement options just OEM from Germany. New glass is around $700 + installation. I've gone through 4 windshields in 2 years, mostly due to construction on my commuting route. All were covered by the supplemental policy that they sold me when I purchased the car. Have another 1" crack now on the newest (Dec 20) glass. Will get it sealed and cross my fingers!