Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking PTT to track events

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:39 PM
feeltherush is infamous around these partsfeeltherush is infamous around these parts
Taking PTT to track events

Hey all,

I'm thinking about taking my ptt to DE events / autocross etc. and wondering what advice you might give. I see that some other people have dedicated track cars. I'd have to get one of those later, if it indeed makes sense to at all. I don't want to jack up my baby with rocks/rubber/etc against the paint/windows/headlights/etc.

So... do any of you who track your cars take your around town panamera on the track? Do you strongly recommend having a dedicated track car and you'd never take your main one out? If so, what precautions do you take to minimize exposure? Also, do you think it's a lot more likely to rack up expensive repairs, or just wear and tear items (brakes/pads/rotors/tires)?

FWIW, I took it to autocross and had a blast. Everything was fine.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
How did your PTT do against the other vehicles??

Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 AM
feeltherush is infamous around these partsfeeltherush is infamous around these parts
It wasn't competitive, it was the class. Plus I'm new. That said, I think it was one of the faster cars for sure. Lots of fun using launch control and flying off the line.

Of course, in autocross it's more about skill. So now I have to practice! There were even a bmw and vw out there! Pretty cool to see 70 p cars in a lot

Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
Most cosmetic damage is from rubber on the track, which is easy to remove. You may want to use a protective tape or film on headlight lenses. I am considering tracking my PGTS. I have read that the power steering reservoir on the '14-15's is smaller so can be a problem when the fluid heats up, but I'll have to talk to my tech to get a better idea. The '13's have a larger reservoir so maybe I have no problem with that. Definitely will chew up pads, rotors and tires given the weight of the Panamera, but that is what comes with tracking. I plan to make a decision about tracking the PGTS after the PSDS next week, as I beleive that I will get a chance to drive one at Barber. In the meantime, will plan to use the 991 TTS on track DE's. May do some autocross, but prefer track work.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Didn't know that about the reservoir, interesting. Good idea about the headlights. Someone mentioned the other day they cost 3k or so to fix.

I'm wondering if the money I'd spend buying, insuring, etc a track car would be better spent just handling wear and tear and minor fixes on the ptt.

By the way, any hot tips on fun track cars under 15k?