Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Panny S Hybrid questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:45 AM
Pieter97 is infamous around these parts
2012 Panny S Hybrid questions

I have been looking for quite a while at buying a pre owned GTS but I have a hard time justifying the $90k for a nice one.

This week a 2012 Panamera S Hybrid with 25k miles showed up in my area and this car is loaded, had a $125k sticker and can be purchased for a good price / >50% depreciation.

Are there any owners of gen 1 Hybrid panny's out there that can comment on the car and reliability? This one is under factory warranty till Jan 2016, then I would probably go after market warranty.

any feedback is appreciated.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:47 AM
EmmHolla is infamous around these parts
There are some Hybrid folks around these parts that haven't had good experiences with thier Hybrid Panamera.. If you're willing to go 2012 Hybrid S.. Why not a loaded 4S?.. It's almost the same as a GTS...

Old 05-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Gus_Smedstad is infamous around these parts
I wouldn't read to much into Ace's experiences. It's a sample of one, and it's not even the same car, since he has a 2014 e Hybrid. He's had a really bad time, and he's justifiably angry about it, particularly since his dealership didn't repair his charge port correctly and should never have let it leave the shop with a visible defect, but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the car Pieter is looking at.

There's a guy here who had a Turbo with a bad PDK that didn't get repaired properly by the dealer because it didn't show an error code in the shop, but that doesn't have people saying "stay away from all Panamera Turbos."

As for "why not a 4S" - I'd guess price. If I do a nationwide search on Autotrader, restricting it to S, S Hybrid, 4S, or GTS, 2012 or newer, under $80k, under 15,000 miles, there are 6 S Hybrids starting from $60k, 6 S's starring from $65k, and one 4S for $73k.

I didn't run down the options, since that would require sifting through the details of every entry, but if you want more than the base V6, a used S hybrid is the least expensive way to go.

The main argument against isn't reliability, it's 8-speed ZF transmission vs. PDK. Mine seems responsive enough as long as I go into Sport and let the car do the shifting. Manual shifting with the paddles, not so much. I'm not sure what it's like with a PDK since I've never test driven one, let alone really pushed it enough that the I'd know how responsive it is when you're asking for real performance.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 AM
mickey6 is infamous around these parts
Not the first generation e-hybrid. The second generation is not bad at all. I have not had issues except the alarm going off randomly but that was fixed early on. Pretty solid and better performance than a regular or a panamera-S. Every car I have owned has had its quirks.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Pieter97 is infamous around these parts
Thank you Forum for your advise.

I thought it would be more important to drive a Panamera now than to wait for it.
I picked up a 2012 Panny S Hybrid with 27k miles for just under $53k, one year left on OEM warranty
Original sticker price was $125k, special order, fully loaded.

Dark Blue Metallic
Espresso Natural Leather
Extended Range Fuel Tank
All-SeasnTrsFor19inAlloyWheels
Heated Seats Front and Rear
Adaptive sport seats left (18 ways)
Adaptive sport seats right (18 ways)
19" Panamera Design Wheels
Adaptive Cruise Control
Ln-Chge-Asst/Blnd-Spt-Detect
Four-Zone Climate Control
Rooflining in Alcantara(R)
Porsche Entry & Drive
Int Light Pkg for Rear Compart
ParkAssist (F&R) w/ Rev Camera
Sport Chrono Package Plus
Electronic Logbook
SAT-receiverXM(R) w/HDreceiver
8-way Power Seats w/Adapt Sprt
3-spk Sport SW w/Shift Paddles
Elec Roll-up Shade-RearSideWin
Elec Rollup Shade-Rear Compart
Soundproof / Heat-Resist Glass
Inter Package in Nat Leath
Dark Blue Metallic
Espresso Natural Leather
Comfort Plus Package
Adapt Sport Sts w/Comf Mem Pkg
Blck Bi-Xenon(TM)LightsW/ PDLS

Great drive, now I can save up to trade towards a GTS next spring

Old 05-07-2015, 02:43 PM
First, congratulations on your new car. That looks like a fine purchase. While there are some cosmetic options in there, there are also all the ones I'd personally want - rear camera, lane change sensors, adaptive cruise control, sport chrono, entry and drive, and the upgraded seats. I didn't spring for all of those on my own order, since I had a hard time convincing my wife that $100k for a car was acceptable as it was.

That said, I'd personally advise you to hang on to the car for more than a year. Frictional costs from buying & selling are significant, and I think you'll find that the Hybrid S gives you most of what you'd want from the GTS. You're missing all wheel drive, but you're in Florida, so it's mostly a little extra traction at launch. You're missing the engine note and a PDK transmission, but that may not prove as important as you might think.

Keep the car in Sport (or Sport+ since you have the Chrono), and I suspect the car will make you as happy as a GTS unless you're a very vigorous driver. The difference in raw HP isn't that large, and the electric motor gives you even more low-end torque than you get from a naturally aspirated engine (428 ft-lb pretty much from 0 vs. 383 ft-lb at 3500 rpm).

Old 05-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Gus,

Personally if I were to choose ONE option I could not live without is the 360 degree camera. With a car this size and lack of visibility (front back and sides), parallel and regular parking is so much easier. I now rely on it more than any other gadget or option. Backup camera and the sensors are nice but the 360 view takes it to a different level.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by mickey6
Personally if I were to choose ONE option I could not live without is the 360 degree camera. With a car this size and lack of visibility (front back and sides), parallel and regular parking is so much easier.
Oh, I agree. I have it, and think it's great. It's kind of tough finding it on used Panameras though - you practically have to order a car to get it.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:52 PM
I got lucky and found it on my CPO. It has almost every option that I wanted. It's a 2014 CPO so Porsche extended the warranty to 2020 and I got a great deal!! Cant complain