Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering Custom New vs. Not-exactly-what-you-want Used - What did you do?

Old 04-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Bleser will become famous soon enough
Arrow Ordering Custom New vs. Not-exactly-what-you-want Used - What did you do?

Hello all,

I've been spending the past few weeks familiarizing myself with the Porsche online configurator (in 3D mode it is really spectacular). I'm not going to be in the market for about four and a half years but I figured its never too early to get and idea of what I'll be purchasing. Based on my criteria, right now the Panamera is a clear top choice (and by this time it will be the second generation model). The hard part will be getting the right Panamera.

As I'm sure you all know, there are myriad of options and packages so that no two Porsches are alike. I'm sure as time goes on I'll create a 'must have' list and simply prioritize from there.

Based on what my budget will be, I'm noticing I'm going to have to choose between two basic paths:
  • Brand new, ordered exactly as I want, with either the base or possibly the S trim (RWD).
  • Try to find the perfect GTS with < 20,000 miles, and compromise on options/colors.

I feel like everyone is simply going to say go the second route - GTS at all costs - but I'm not convinced. This will be my daily driver for 7-10 years after I buy it, which will make me want to get as new as possible at time of purchase. Since I'll own it so long, I'll also have regret if I didn't get the exact color combo or interior deviated stiching I was hoping for.

How many of you went through this same dilemma - and which route did you take? Obviously the easy answer is to just order the GTS how I want it, but based on current pricing that won't be an option for my budget.

As enticing as the performance of the GTS sounds, at the end of the day I feel the second generation base Panamera (turbo V6 I'm guessing) with sport exhaust will be quite entertaining, and not paying for anything I don't want will be worth while.

Just curious on feedback and stories from owners who had to make this choice.

Cheers!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:14 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
A lot can happen in 4.5 years. Current market: I'd go for low-mileage GTS. It really is night and day from a base model when it comes to the overall experience, equipment and driving/ownership enjoyment.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Thanks. I agree that when it comes time and I go test driving it will be impossible to ignore the GTS. It'll come down to current market pricing & availability. I might have to balance ordering a new Panamera 2.2 (refresh) versus a Panamera 2.1 used GTS (pre-refresh).

Old 04-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
I went through this dilemma back in 2014.

I ended up purchasing new primarily because of color. Something like 90% of the Panameras out there are gray, black, or white. I just couldn't see spending that kind of money on a car with a bland color.

You'd think color would be a distant second to the driving experience, but it is a big part of how I feel about owning car. If I were just going functional, I'd be driving a Civic.

I can't speak for you, but I'd never be happy driving the base V6. Too slow.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks, @Gus_Smedstad!

I'm certainly early to this search since I'm a solid 4.5 years from pulling the trigger (based on current plans), but figured experiences like yours would be quite helpful when the time comes.

I hear you on color. Everything on the road is black/white/silver/gray, and as you mentioned the used market is primarily grayscale as well. So, if you limit yourself to the Sapphire Blue Metallic or Carmine Red, you're down to maybe seven cars nationwide, and then hope that they have the right interior color and options.

I am considering Jet Black Metallic if I go with the red leather interior; that combo is quite striking. And the Panamera, like most cars, does look good in black. So, this combo opens the door for the used market.

At this point I'd be between that combo and the Sapphire Blue Metallic on back leather, possibly with deviated silver stitching and seat belts (like the GTS offers). The blue is much harder to come by.

It's also hard for me to rule out the base engine in the next-generation car now as we don't know what it will be. The reviews of the current 3.6L V6 are quite good; it sounds good, loves to rev, is well-matched to the PDK, gets great fuel economy and is faster than you think (~5.0 seconds to 60 with Sport Plus according to Car and Driver). That being said, the next model will likely be a turbo and have more low-end grunt, further building its case. It'll take considerable seat time with all options to make the decision. In my current car, I was dead-set on a 328i as, on paper, it was 'fast enough' for me. But, after the first test drive I ruled it out; the noises it made were terrible. I then drove the 335i and was sold, but more from the sound than the speed.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
335i over a 328i in the F30 body style is a waste of money. I had a 328xi E90, I loved it. I didn't feel the need for the 335i because I had an M5 also.....