Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy V6, curious on issues and years to stay away from

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 AM
X98boardwell is on a distinguished road
Looking to buy V6, curious on issues and years to stay away from

I'm looking for a Panamera for my wife and we have settled (kind of) on a V6 both for insurance but also to save some $$ on the purchase. We have a Cayenne Turbo at home so if we need the ponies we can use that. She also drives a fair amount so saving on gas is a plus and something she has been vocal about.

My questions surround the typical issues that Porsche has with some models and years to stay away from. From what I can tell the V6 started in 2010.

- Any years to stay away from, possibly first year of model run?
- How optioned can you get a V6?
- Is there an S option or does that always signify a V8?
- What is the main difference on the V6 model from the V8? Is it only the motor and most other items are the same?
- Price range? It appears as more V8's are for sale, does this mean we could potentially pay more for the V6 and not possibly save anything by choosing a V6?
- Any motor issues? I know the V6 was relatively new thing in the 2010 year and now it comes standard in all Macans but wanted to see if there are any concerns.
- Options: Is there any that are a must and on the flip side any that have caused issues with maintenance or possibly just add expense to the purchase but offer little benefit. She will not be tracking this car so performance isn't the goal.

Thanks for any help on these. I figured I would ask some owners before we start the search so we know what not to buy.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:43 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
Smile

I have a 2012 P4. It listed for $101,000 from the factory and I bought it for $58500 a year ago with 7700 miles on it. It needed new tires within 5000 miles as it had Pirrelli 20" snows and new Michelin As were $1800. You can get almost any option on a V6. Mandatory is LCA (Lane Change Assist) as rear vision is limited. After that what ever strikes your fancy. I have heated steering wheel, and seats, 14 way seats, Large fuel tank, Park Assist is real handy, Sport Chrono with air suspension, retractable luggage cover, and Bose Sound. Be careful with the full tan interior as it reflects off the inside of the windshield, the black and tan is better.

I have never used Launch Control, I get 30.3 mpg on the Interstate at steady 70 mph, computer says 850 miles range with full tank of gas when not in city due to big fuel tank. For my use, the V6 is fast enough off from stoplights, probably not as fast passing at highway speeds as V8. Any P with a S or Turbo designation is a V8. The 2010's had some problems with camshaft gears failing due to aluminum screws breaking, you want to look for the steel cam screws. Open the Oil fill cap and put a small magnet against the cam screw you see to check if it is steel or aluminum. Most comfortable seats available for long distance travel I ever sat in after 60 years of driving. I find I have to lift the air suspension up every time I park against a concrete bumper or the front bumper scrapes on it.

Enjoy if you find a choice one out there. With the new design coming this month, the price will drop some on both leftover new and used Panameras.

Last edited by 2thfxr; 01-09-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:55 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I ve read about v6 s having vibrations, not sure what years but my 15 P4 is rock solid.
Sounds like you will find the v6 has enough power for your needs. The PDK trans really makes the engine feel stronger with its firm fast shifts. I ve read that older Pana s had front end issues which can be costly. I d get the newest you can and a warranty is a must on these cars. The S will still be a v6 but turbo charged. You ll be paying less for the v6. Not sure what the above post means about any 4 being a v8? Mines not. Drive one!!!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:48 AM
X98boardwell is on a distinguished road
Guys,thanks for the help and great info! I will start looking here soon so we can narrow them down. She is excited to get out of the camry and has never had a luxury car.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:09 AM
verdugo135 is on a distinguished road
I have two 11 panameras. One is a 4s and one a base v6. The 4s I picked up with a number of front end suspension issues, which was worse in cold weather. Loud and squeaky with some clunking on potholes. Upper and low control arms, and sway bushings replaced under warranty. The v6 is not under warranty but seems to have the same issues, just not as bad. V6 has 48k. 4S has about 58k. Window switches suck, both mine came with broken switches, which I bought aftermarket on amazon and replaced myself for real cheap. Haven't come across any other major issues.