Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach needle erratic

Old 02-05-2014, 01:20 PM
MackSea is on a distinguished road
Tach needle erratic

Hi All - New member and new (second) owner of a 2010 4s. I've owned the car since about November and definitely enjoy driving it - when it's not in the shop (just contributed to the front end noise thread - I've been in the shop about 30 days on the same issue).

Anyway - I've got another issue that I've searched far and wide for and at least for the Pan cannot find another instance of this.

Does anyone's tach needle waiver/move around at steady state cruise. Let's say for example, you're in heavy traffic - cruising along at 50mph in 7th, so what maybe 1300-1400 revs? My tach needle will waiver around - maybe 25-50 RPM up and down, sometimes as much as 100. And I swear, my butt-o-meter is starting to feel some surging at the same time. No check engine light - nothing on the dash, the car was serviced at 20k (28k now - getting near time for plugs?). Sometimes when I accelerate in standard mode, I swear the car feels stumbly. Does not matter what gear it's in though I did not notice it when I revved and held at 1400 in neutral.

Anyone seen this or have any thoughts? It's very wet and damp here today and I swear the car felt extra stumbly but I would think if it were misfiring it would set a code/dash light?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 PM
RED HORSE is on a distinguished road
My 2009 997.2 C2S PDK has done it sine I took delivery in November 2008.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:21 AM
MackSea is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RED HORSE
My 2009 997.2 C2S PDK has done it sine I took delivery in November 2008.
Did you accept it as "normal" or discuss with the dealer?

The more I drive mine, the more I feel like there is a misfire in there. I would expect a check engine light since the car sets a code when my one year old fills his diaper.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:23 PM
RED HORSE is on a distinguished road
Back in 2008/09 when the 997.2 came out several of us posted about this and no actual problems were ever found to be associated with this movement of the tach needle. Mine has 40,000 miles and it still does it but runs fine. My advice is relax and enjoy.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Back in 2008/09 when the 997.2 came out several of us posted about this and no actual problems were ever found to be associated with this movement of the tach needle. Mine has 40,000 miles and it still does it but runs fine. My advice is relax and enjoy.
Sorry but I disagree, When They Say Something not Normal is normal=They don't know How To fix it and the the Car is Still moving and There Are no error codes. This is not Normal in 997 nor is it Normal in Panamera. Probably wiring problem.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 AM
PP4s is on a distinguished road
Mine started out like that, now a few months later in goes into limp mode above 5k revs with big surges. Had it on the dyno this week and it makes only 141kw at the wheels. Was at the dealer the most of January and they can’t find the fault.
They changed the coils and plugs and few other things with no resolution. They can’t even notice that it’s down on power and says it feels fine to them.

Only solution is to try and get rid of it.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:26 AM
verdugo135 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MackSea
Hi All - New member and new (second) owner of a 2010 4s. I've owned the car since about November and definitely enjoy driving it - when it's not in the shop (just contributed to the front end noise thread - I've been in the shop about 30 days on the same issue).

Anyway - I've got another issue that I've searched far and wide for and at least for the Pan cannot find another instance of this.

Does anyone's tach needle waiver/move around at steady state cruise. Let's say for example, you're in heavy traffic - cruising along at 50mph in 7th, so what maybe 1300-1400 revs? My tach needle will waiver around - maybe 25-50 RPM up and down, sometimes as much as 100. And I swear, my butt-o-meter is starting to feel some surging at the same time. No check engine light - nothing on the dash, the car was serviced at 20k (28k now - getting near time for plugs?). Sometimes when I accelerate in standard mode, I swear the car feels stumbly. Does not matter what gear it's in though I did not notice it when I revved and held at 1400 in neutral.

Anyone seen this or have any thoughts? It's very wet and damp here today and I swear the car felt extra stumbly but I would think if it were misfiring it would set a code/dash light?

Thanks!
Sorry for the thread revival. Did you ever figure this problem out? My car (11 4s) is doing the exact same thing. Needle "wiggles" up and down will at steady cruise. I honestly don't feel a surge but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:18 PM
negb is on a distinguished road
I do see exactly the same on my Panny, and no engine surging, nothing; I even forgot to ask/mention that to service technicians....

Old 11-14-2016, 11:18 PM
cheetos72 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by negb
I do see exactly the same on my Panny, and no engine surging, nothing; I even forgot to ask/mention that to service technicians....
I also have the same and have confirmed with the iCarSoft reader the fluctuation in rpm.(not just the tach needle)

I'm.wondering would a minor air leak.on the intake side cause this as the computer attempts to adjust the mixture? I believe the plenum is only sealed with an o-ring around the throttle body.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:27 AM
verdugo135 is on a distinguished road
So I posted back in Nov. Head technician at local dealer couldn't find anything and noted it off as normal (though we confirmed that the fluctuations were evident in the live readings when car was plugged into obd scanner). Just picked up a v6 which seems to have the same issues. They both run perfect so I'll just keep an eye on it

Old 01-12-2017, 09:11 AM
cheetos72 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by verdugo135
So I posted back in Nov. Head technician at local dealer couldn't find anything and noted it off as normal (though we confirmed that the fluctuations were evident in the live readings when car was plugged into obd scanner). Just picked up a v6 which seems to have the same issues. They both run perfect so I'll just keep an eye on it
I heard the same from my visit to the dealership. Noticed but nothing abnormal being cause from it so considered it normal. I wonder when these were new if they did the same.