Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am dumb... please help with eHybrid question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:17 PM
pishter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by robkat
It's just weird how this is not something Porsche spells out to consumers. The dealers (who are clueless) ask the service departments, who seem to be making it up. Porsche should have documentation that says, "listen, here is how this works, and what to expect..."
So whatever happened with this?

I feel like it's happening to my car now.

Usually, upon start up, the car will start in e-Power mode. In the dash, the there will be a blue e circle icon. If the car can't stay in the e-Power mode (because of oil temp or recent fill up at the gas station), it'll at least start in the mode and then computer tells the car that it doesn't meet the requirements and then ICE will turn on. But the e-power light on the center console will stay lit red, in the dash the e circle will disappear but the center console light will stay red. That's how the car normally runs.

This weekend, the car just wouldn't start in e-power mode. No red light in the center console, no e circle of any kind (blue or grey) in the dash.

The car is charged to 100%.

Robkat, this sounds exactly like what was happening with you. Whatever happened to your issue?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:24 AM
robkat is an unknown quantity at this point
@pishter The dealer had my car a month, replaced the e-hybrid controller twice (first time they replaced it, the same thing happened to the tech they said, so they thought the unit was bad). I've had the car back now about 30-45 days and no problems (fingers crossed).

The bigger issue I felt was that the dealerships are not made aware of how to really dig in and fix these. I know its a complex car, but I had to really press the service department, telling them I wont come and pick the car up until it's fixed and then getting Porsche North America involved. Then they said it has an open bulletin, began ordering parts, et.

So, my advice is, hang in there, the car is great, and this is something that happens. Once fixed, you shouldnt have any future problems.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Problem is they replaced the hybrid system computer two months ago because of a hybrid system failure.

I will contact the dealer today. At least the car will allow me to drive it. For now.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Posting the findings in case it might be helpful to others.

The hybrid control computer was fine. (It better be because it was just replaced a few months ago.)

Dealer found out that hybrid system has went into a ‘Safe Mode’ due to a fault in the brake booster vacuum pressure sensor.

The tech found a stuck one-way valve for the vacuum system in his diagnosis.

There is a technical bulletin regarding this concern and it directs them to replace all three vacuum lines. In addition because the pump has overran trying to compensate for the stuck valve, they will replace the pump and the relay that controls it as well.

Hoping to get the car back next week because the pump needs to be ordered.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:23 PM
SRQ-Porsche is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for taking the time to update us on this. I have been considering a panny hybrid so I've been reading and following these threads. It is really amazing the amount of information one can find on these boards. Kudos and best of luck.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:42 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Hi @pishter,
my 2016 pan hybrid 44k miles had so many problems since 2020 to now with many engine light problems, probably 6 times. i did not drive much for entire 2020 year. Porsche Fremont took care all the issues. My warranty was out this march. Porsche took care 2 issues on April, 1 I have to pay 50%, $1.5K after %50 for chiller. Now I have brake issue, I just ran diagnostic with basic durametric tool, it indicated booster issue, , reduce power engine light on right now. I have an appointment to bring my car in for this issue. I own 3 Porsche. Hybrid is the worst. my wife 2014 Pan4 is rock solid.

Was your car under warranty?
>>
due to "There is a technical bulletin regarding this concern and it directs them to replace all three vacuum lines. In addition because the pump has overran trying to compensate for the stuck valve, they will replace the pump and the relay that controls it as well.
>>

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by dougcayenne
Hi @pishter,
my 2016 pan hybrid 44k miles had so many problems since 2020 to now with many engine light problems, probably 6 times. i did not drive much for entire 2020 year. Porsche Fremont took care all the issues. My warranty was out this march. Porsche took care 2 issues on April, 1 I have to pay 50%, $1.5K after %50 for chiller. Now I have brake issue, I just ran diagnostic with basic durametric tool, it indicated booster issue, , reduce power engine light on right now. I have an appointment to bring my car in for this issue. I own 3 Porsche. Hybrid is the worst. my wife 2014 Pan4 is rock solid.

Was your car under warranty?
>>
due to "There is a technical bulletin regarding this concern and it directs them to replace all three vacuum lines. In addition because the pump has overran trying to compensate for the stuck valve, they will replace the pump and the relay that controls it as well.
>>

Thanks.

It fortunately was under warranty.

Got rid of the car about 2 years ago. Just wasn't reliable enough. Too much technology for it's own good.

Old 04-21-2024, 02:35 PM
sora72 is an unknown quantity at this point
E-Power Not Available

Hey guys! Sorry I’m late to the thread. But I read through all of the responses and have some additional info on this particular error I get on my 2016 S e-Hybrid. I’m bought mine in 2022 with 36K miles. I was hesitant to buy this model due to the many dreaded hybrid system failure stories people have posted. However, since the hybrid system was replaced under warranty in 2019 by the previous owner, I thought I’d take a chance. If anything happens while I have it, the replacement warranty will cover it until at least 2027. Anyway, I started getting the E-Power Not Available randomly since owning it. My cheap scanner tool consistently shows an EVAP error code (eval emissions vacuum issue). The E-Power issue goes away immediately when I clear the code and all goes back to normal. Since owning the car, I’ve only had to clear that code once/twice/thrice per year. I’ll figure out the underlying EVAP error at some point. For now, the car is perfect. Hope that helps!

Old 04-21-2024, 04:11 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Yes, I'm sorry to hear. I had a 2016 hybrid. I sold it in 2021 due to many issues at 45K miles. Unfortunately, I had this issue. You must bring your car to a Porsche dealer for further diagnostics and to fix the problem. This car will go to the shop often. You can't DIY or bring it to the Indy guys to work on.

Good luck ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.