Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Creaking - Parts Replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM
negb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by allroadusa
From different owners on French Panamera forum, cracking noise is mainly due to lower control arm bushings. I've got mine replaced almost 2 years ago from same reason and noise has not come back yet.
strange... on my PPTS front lower control arms bushings and ball joints were rock solid... regarding knocking noises when going over bumps Porsche dealer (and Audi dealer) were telling me that is coming from front sway bar bushings.
Few post ago I've posted photos of these old vs new bushings, but when i installed new ones they got the shape of removed old ones, so it is difficult to say if old ones were bad ....
So far what I've found bad was upper control arms bushings; all other bushings, ball joints, etc were ok.

Originally Posted by pman78
My repair report---hope this helps
... as I wrote above, upper arms bushings ...

one thing is not clear to me, even repair manual says that air suspension has to be calibrated - because of what reason if you don't turn on ignition while components are disconnected then at what point that calibration goes off regarding alignment there is no questions.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:56 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Is the air spring deflated before removing it? Maybe calibrating is nothing more than getting it to inflate after reinstallation?

Old 05-20-2017, 04:56 AM
Of course it has to be deflated for removing.
Or ... maybe could be enough pipe length, because that removing actually means just lowering.
But I suspect that this calibration has nothing to do with air, because besides air there is electrical connection to strut directly, and two more which I didn't look yet for what they are.
And one more 'besides that' - I had before Audi S8 D3 with basically +- the same air suspension, but there was no instructions about calibration after removing/disconnecting air suspension components ....

Old 05-20-2017, 05:09 AM
..... I was right !
from Porsche Panamera Service Repair Manual:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...roduction.html

Calibration must be performed if one or more of the following situations apply:
Control unit was replaced.
Level sensors were replaced.
Vehicle lies to one side after being raised. Lifting platform mode may still be activated. If this is the
case, a test drive must be carried out with the vehicle (this deactivates lifting platform mode). And
the vehicle automatically adjusts to the correct level. Only calibrate the levelling system if this does
not work.
The level sensors are calibrated by determining a correction value (corresponding to the actual height of
the vehicle) and storing it permanently in the control unit.

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2017, 11:02 PM
Siberian Bushing for Panny front upper arms

another option for front upper wishbones (arms)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Siberian Bushing Panamera front upper arms bushings.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	499459  
Old 10-23-2018, 04:07 PM
drviperdds is on a distinguished road
Amgpan, how are you removing the lower arm bushings and reinstalling them? My tech is saying he don't have the correct press to do it. I saw somewhere there is a DIY with some bolts and nuts, but couldn't find that thread. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:32 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Clunking noises - likely lower and/or upper control arms (must get alignment after changing these).
Creaking noises - likely sway bar bushings.

Did not know control arms bushings have fluid in them. They are rubber only as far as I know.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:07 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Good news is they are at SEMA and I'm attending. I'll talk to them.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:12 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Air suspension would need calibration if:
- ECU is replaced for suspension
- Level sensors or shock air sensors are replaced

other than that, calibration would not be required.

- Almost impossible to tell if upper control arms bushings are bad. Squeezed between body parts and cannot be inspected. If they are several years old, good bet something is broken/torn in them.
They can cause squeaking for sure.
- Sway bar bushings can also cause squeaking when going over bumps. Lubing them is a very limited success solution. Replacement is only way to fix.
- Air shocks must be emptied so control arms can be removed. Only way.

DO NOT FORGET: Once you disconnect any ball joints in upper/lower control arms, or tie rods, and replace parts or even connect it back again, IT IS IMPERATIVE TO DO WHEEL ALIGNMENT. you will have worn out tires before you know. Some say maybe not, but if you value your money you will do alignment. Firestone offers lifetime wheel alignment for extra $. I got it and can go back to redo it any time, unlimited, as long as I own the car.n . Just FYI.

Originally Posted by negb
strange... on my PPTS front lower control arms bushings and ball joints were rock solid... regarding knocking noises when going over bumps Porsche dealer (and Audi dealer) were telling me that is coming from front sway bar bushings.
Few post ago I've posted photos of these old vs new bushings, but when i installed new ones they got the shape of removed old ones, so it is difficult to say if old ones were bad ...

So far what I've found bad was upper control arms bushings; all other bushings, ball joints, etc were ok.

... as I wrote above, upper arms bushings ...

one thing is not clear to me, even repair manual says that air suspension has to be calibrated - because of what reason if you don't turn on ignition while components are disconnected then at what point that calibration goes off regarding alignment there is no questions.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Dark Smile is an unknown quantity at this point
Great article thanks. I am familiar with this problem and tryed to fix that but nothing came out then I found out about Tech Drive service and I just contacted with them and they fixed the problem also I call them when I need wheel balancing or wheel alignment they have excellent service

Last edited by Dark Smile; 11-23-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Dhhugdhy r rh hujf gu ung hjgrv bbn ki hjhgfc hggf gb jkrrdw2hujgj hhrv hkihtf buc

Old 11-23-2018, 04:54 PM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
... locally by my friend fitter
poly bushings should be greased otherwise they will squeak

Last edited by stealthn; 11-23-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:34 PM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pman78
My 3 week old '11 PTT had the dreaded front end creaked. Dont know how it passed CPO but unfortunately I got it out of state. Had control arms replaced this week at local Porsche dealer---what a remarkable difference. Driving around town in comfort mode is an entirely luxury experience now. Don't worry though I still gladly hit the sports + on the highway. So far the CPO process has worked out.
Any idea what it would have cost?

Old 01-28-2019, 09:00 PM
TargaTime is an unknown quantity at this point
Siberian Bushing Kit

another option for front upper wishbones (arms)
negb,
Where did you order these and did you have any success with them?
i would love to do the job once and see the issue cured rather than install the same product.

thanks for any testimonial you can give.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 AM
TargaTime is an unknown quantity at this point
Custom bushings

Any chance you can get another couple sets of those hardness 90 bushings made?
I am sure you could find a market for those based on the amount of feedback you got so far.

so.. because I have both arms removed from my car I made decision to go for some kind upgrade (that I have done on my other 'push to the limits on weekends' cars ) even when I found that those no.3 & 4 bushings are in good shape and no.4 hydromounts are from year '14....
I removed them and replaced with custom made from hardness 90 shore A polyurethane. Should last forever and without any noises !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front End Creaking - Parts Replaced