Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire kit or run flats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:23 AM
TestnDoc is on a distinguished road
Spare tire kit or run flats?

Has anyone been able to find a spare tire kit for the Panamera? I’ve had run flat tires on a lot of my cars in the past. Has anyone tried them on the Panamera? I drive a lot in very desolate areas, so a flat with no spare would be a big headache. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:28 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
Old 09-24-2017, 02:59 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
$1400 for a spare tire!!!

Old 09-25-2017, 02:34 PM
echristie is on a distinguished road
Old 07-11-2019, 03:12 AM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
Wow, that's A LOT for a spare!!! (I thought Mercedes parts were expensive...) Looks like it takes up cargo space, which is a bummer.

I'm afraid I could not find a run flat option for the rear size, 295/35R20, at least not yet, or at least not in the US...

Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Kirkman is on a distinguished road
Recent experience required driving about 430 miles on a mini-spare mounted on a Hyundai Equus, which is about 500 lb heavier than average Panamera. First, made sure air pressure was at required 80psi and then drove the distance at 50mph. No problems whatsoever; and no noticeable wear on the mini spare.

Porsche wheel pattern is 5-130mm, which is an odd-ball pattern not used by many. It is used on the VW Toureg, which is closely related to Porsche. Mini spares in new condition can be found on eBay for about $90. I bought one; and it is being shipped as I write this. I will check fitment and report back to this forum.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
I had this concern when planning my 3,000 mile family ski trip to Canada this past winter and obviously couldn't afford to sacrifice my storage space. So I got a tire repair kit and keep it tucked away in the unfortunate event of a flat. If you get a blowout or major sidewall damage, there aren't many options beyond a tow truck.

Check for uneven tire wear - my PTT is wearing the insides of the rear tires to the extent that cords are exposed and they had to be replaced even though there was plenty of tread left on the tires. Going in for an alignment next week w/ 60k service.

Best of luck avoiding a surprise flat in the middle of nowhere - and hoping you at least can get a cell signal.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Skiracer13,
When you do the alignment suggest you align to the most conservative Porsche spec - less negative camber. Excessive tire wear to inside of rear tires is largely due to negative camber. Porsche wants their cars to understeer and to this end they spec a lot of negative rear tire camber.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:25 PM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kirkman
Skiracer13,
When you do the alignment suggest you align to the most conservative Porsche spec - less negative camber. Excessive tire wear to inside of rear tires is largely due to negative camber. Porsche wants their cars to understeer and to this end they spec a lot of negative rear tire camber.
Thanks for the great advice, Kirkman - the car certainly handles very well and is neutral but I don't need to be replacing tires prematurely.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:52 PM
c4racer is an unknown quantity at this point
tire flat repair kit and a AAA card and cell phone is good enough for me.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Chedman13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by c4racer
tire flat repair kit and a AAA card and cell phone is good enough for me.
Same here. My Porsche Panamera came with a flat tire repair kit from the factory and my tech replaces the slime with it becomes outdated. When I go on long trips, I throw in an extra Fix-a-flat (https://www.fixaflat.com/collections...at-tire-repair).

I also sometimes even throw in a spare air compressor (https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...power-inflator).

I have the AAA Premier which is good for 1 200 mile tow.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:27 AM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the information everyone!

My wife had leased a demo/service loaner BMW 5 Series GT in the past. Everything was great (regarding the tires) until about 6 months prior to return, when the local tire shop found the inside edges, in particular the rear if I recall correctly, worn down. Our neighbor down the street is a shop foreman for a BMW dealer so we asked for his advice. He said inside edge wear is most likely caused by toe, (I forget now toe-in or toe out). I had mentioned negative camber but he did not agree. I guess the flexibility of the sidewalls compensates for camber, but toe really does a number on the edges over time.

Alignment at my trusted shop is on the to do list, just took the car home yesterday afternoon. The wheels all to some degree have some curb rash. One is moderately bad, and I’m planning on having at least that one repaired at the local Wheels America. Anyone have an opinion, alignment first, or wheel repair first?

I usually carry a tire plug kit, rubber cement for tire plugs, along with a small 12V compressor in cars without spare tires, if the compressor that comes with the car will not work without the goo. (I found that interesting detail when my (bought used) Scion iQ had a tire pressure warning light and I found the goo had all been used, the compressor would not work). I have yet to figure that out in this car.

I have a more pressing matter regarding issue with adjusting the driver side rear view mirror. Seller said he’d take care of it, checked it, and said nothing wrong. The other thing was the hood pad was worn down in an area. The seller agreed to replace it, but I don’t want it to just wear a hole again. I will try to search and if I can’t find relevant threads I will open them.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:39 AM
I think the underlying point of this discussion is that rear tires can wear unevenly; and it is best to get down on one's knees to examine the insides of rear tires as part of travel preparations.
Run flat tires may be fine for urban driving where tire stores are nearby. But if your have a flat on the road, your driving range is limited to about 50+miles. Even then most run flat tires cannot be repaired. Rural tire stores often have very limited selections. You can get overnight delivery from TireRack, but...
I'm an 80 year old geezer who still drives long distances. It is fun for me. Being retired, I have the time, and usually travel about 20K road miles a year. Flat tires from road debris/nails have become quite rare. I've never had to use "tire slime", and am not sure I trust it. I used a "plugs" on a motorcycle tire, and now carry a simple plug kit in my Panamera.
I used to tour on motorcycles and had several flat tires over many years. It was always the rear tire; and the lore amongst riders was that the front tire kicked up a road nail for the rear tire. Perhaps this is also true with autos. Last summer had a nail flat in my Jaguar XK in rural S. Dakota, and it was in the rear tire. I hadn't had such a flat since the 60s.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Chedman13 is on a distinguished road
There is also the danger of changing a tire near a road, and we have far too many people die from being hit by drivers not paying attention.

AAA flatbed is the preferred option when available.

I've toyed with a roof mounted tire/wheel carrier on my SUV and minivan, and even a tow hitch wheel carrier. The additional probably is I always run aftermarket setups that have slight tire diameters (but all diameters are the same to not mess with AWD system) and also varying offsets - so a spare wheel is not that valuable to me as that would mean buying a 5th wheel and depending on the wheel can get expensive quick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.