Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera 60K Interval PDK Fluid Change DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:57 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
My assumption is that (after speaking to dealers especially), Porsche copies parts of manuals between different cars. To be safe they include the temperature in the process they define for one car, and disseminate this to all other PDK manuals. Thanks for updates though, 2wd quanities are important and hope this will complete the set of info for PDK.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:37 PM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
The fill plug is in between the exhaust pipes. I don't have much room I may burn my arms or something. Have the car up on Rhino Ramps but (it's not recommended to raise all four corners on them). Hmm....

Old 06-07-2021, 08:56 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
nah you wont burn your arms - unless you're careless.

I don't understand he second part, because the car need to be level when you fill it - which requires raising all four corners.....

Old 06-07-2021, 09:23 PM
Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Yeah. I've been suffering writing broken English and just overall poor writing.

FloTool Rhino Ramps are really popular. About 6 months ago I purchased a second set to work on our Prius suspension:

So, the packaging says an impressive 16K pounds capacity. If you read the fine print it's 16K pounds gross vehicle weight. That means instead of the implied 8K pounds per ramp it's actually 4K pounds per ramp. That's fine, drove the front up, jacked up the rear, and put all four corners down on four ramps. There is the other limitation that the Panamera exceeds:. Maximum tire width of 9.5", which Google tells me is 241.3 mm. I've driven the front up before on these and the 255 do fit barely. Then instructions say in bold NOT TO BE USED TO SIMULTANEOUSLY support both ends or one side of the vehicle.

So as pictured I've done a no-no in two too many ways. Hence the jacks to hopefully save me in case of catastrophic failure. Also keep my cellphone within reach and family to keep an ear/eye out on me...

Last edited by jzchen; 06-07-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:36 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Rofl

Old 06-08-2021, 09:42 PM
Spilled Lots of $20/L Motul DCTF!

Well, I'm here typing so I survived. Thank you again for the confidence boost! My original thought was to do the cold fill then drive it to a shop to do the final fill. Then I thought I would carefully measure what I drained out then put back exactly that amount. (Yes I figured I would take the front off the ramps and tilt the front downwards to make more room cold. Would have worked because I was using a brand new drain pan with no residual from prior changes. I started filling the Porsche/VW special filling tool, basically a GIANT syringe, I spill some. There goes my accurate measurement. Every time I would fill the darn thing (apparently the wrong way I would spill some amount of the $20/L Motul DCTF)! I keep spilling then started worrying the 10 L would not be enough. Finally I realized due to asymmetrical shape of the Motul bottle I could insert the tip into the bottle and submerge the end and suck it up like a needle! Of course I had to knock over the open bottle once for another good puddle! Argh.
Filled the DCT up cold. Closed the filler hole with the original plug. Started her up and do the slow shifting three times. Leave in D with Foxwell NT510 Elite watching actual fluid temp and sump temp. When both reached 45 C. I shift back to P and turn off the engine. Get my pair of newly acquired (from local store closing Bed Bath and Beyond) All-Clad oven mitts. I slide them on dive under and loosened the fill plug, *instructions say wait two minutes before opening*. As I am getting ready to add some I notice fluid starts dripping out! It's already full, I plug the hole with a new plug and torque to spec. Haha my forearm still managed to contact the hot intermediate muffler but it wasn't hot enough to cause a burn.

Hopefully tomorrow I can do the brake fluid....

Last edited by jzchen; 06-08-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:07 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Good Job, I have Porsche did my PDK fluid change last year for $570 total with Discount. Ah the brake flush, I screwed up I got air in the system. LOL ... Crazy I had to tow my pan4 to porsche, cost me $260. The mistake I made was I used the Motive to push air and refilled the brake fluid reservoir when it was low. So I forgot to refill the brake fluid on time and the air got into the system from Motive bump. I just did the brake flush on my Cayenne recently, I had no problem by fill the brake fluid in the Motive tank. So it is all good. I need to take the wheel off to bleed 2 valves on the caliber. That's the pain.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:47 PM
Clumsy Me! Brake Fluid Tool.

Seeing how clumsy I can be I was researching what type of brake bleeder to buy back in 2015. At that time I hadn't heard of Motive Products yet. I ended up buying a Branick G300 off eBay military surplus for $225.79 my email receipt says. (Seems can't find them that cheap now sadly). Then I got a set of adapters from another company for various brands. The rest I rigged up with Harbor Freight air compressor, air pressure regulator, and air hose. The good thing about the Branick unit is once you bleed out the air there is zero chance you'll get air into your brake system because of the design/bladder. When/If you run out of brake fluid it just stops pumping brake fluid through.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:36 AM
Nikita4Ever is an unknown quantity at this point
You are constantly fixing one thing or another. Get a Quick Jack. BTW, your driveway is slanted.🤔😬

Old 06-10-2021, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Nikita4Ever
You are constantly fixing one thing or another. Get a Quick Jack. BTW, your driveway is slanted.🤔😬
​​​​​​Good eye!

I left the suspension on, I was hoping the self leveling would take care of itself. So far so good but haven't driven it much. (I should send a thank @NormalFellow for recommending the Motul it feels smoother than the old fluid. Same with the LubriMoly that he recommended for engine oil).

Lifting the rear end and placing it down on the Rhino Ramps causes a sideways strain on them that they were deformed inwards on the outside walls. It was quite frightening I would lift one rear corner to relieve the strain then the opposite corner would indent....

Last edited by jzchen; 06-10-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:34 AM
GemCity970_4S is on a distinguished road
Great share! I am picking up a 2010 4S this week that has 67K on the odometer. Porsche dealer it was serviced at has stated that this has not been done on the car. Should this be a "right away" procedure, or have my local shop advise?

Old 05-18-2022, 11:48 PM
Check the small maintenance book. I can't remember what exactly but things come at yr 4 and yr 8. I'd just follow it. It's 2022 so from 2010 that would make it yr 4 if I'm not mistaken, '14 4 yrs, '18 8 yrs, '22 4 yrs...

Old 05-19-2022, 04:19 AM
GemCity970_4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jzchen
Check the small maintenance book. I can't remember what exactly but things come at yr 4 and yr 8. I'd just follow it. It's 2022 so from 2010 that would make it yr 4 if I'm not mistaken, '14 4 yrs, '18 8 yrs, '22 4 yrs...
Thank you, I never would have thought of that redundancy. Thank you!

Old 06-14-2022, 10:58 PM
newporsche is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't drive the car much how often should the pdk oil be changed?

Old 06-14-2022, 11:35 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Fsm says every 4 years or at mileage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera 60K Interval PDK Fluid Change DIY