Sponsored by:

iCarSoft -PORII Versus Durametric

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
iCarSoft -PORII Versus Durametric

Does anyone have experience with these?

just pulled the trigger on a 2010 4S and plan on doing as much of my own maintenance as possible (thanks to those posting the DIY stuff - hope to contribute)

the Durametric requires a PC, would the Enthusiast Kit have any features that the iCarSoft -PORII doesn't?

thanks,
-Doug

Old 06-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Small Car Lover will become famous soon enough
I have a single vin durametric that came with a tune for my 987.2. I recently bought an icarSoft PORII when I bought a 970.2 TTS. I have not been overly impressed with the Durametric in terms is ease of use, stability and how it resets the service indicator. Since my Durametric only has one vin I haven't used it with the 970. However on the 987.2 it can't distinguish between the different service levels (ie major, minor). It will only reset the indicator on a 2 year interval. The iCarSoft is much easier to use and seems to be a much more stable platform.

The Durametric does allow "looking" at most every module on the car and checking for codes associated with each module. The iCarSoft does not seem to have as comprehensive coverage. However the iCar is much easier and more flexible with service indicator resets. You can reset each service level independently to whatever date you wish.

Also of importance is the iCar allows control of the electronic parking brake. From what I could tell on the Durametric web site EPB service is not supported on the 970. I like the fact that the iCar is a self contained unit that doesn't even need batteries as it is powered through the OBDII port.

Factor in the significantly lower price of the iCar and I felt is was the better choice. I now use the iCar on my 987 rather than the Durametric because the iCar is so much easier to deal with. The iCar is not perfect. The Chinglish instructions are lacking to say the least. But overall I prefer it to the Durametric regardless of cost. I'll probably never bother with my Durametric again, and I won't miss it.

It's unfortunate there is no good tool for Porsche similar to VAGCOM for VW. My suggestion is go with the iCar unless there is a specific unique function offered by Durametric that you need at this time.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:49 PM
thank you that was very informative - one it seems the durametric has going for it for me is that fact they are located here (Bend)
I guess I need to dig deeper into the features and functions

Old 06-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
ICar here for my 991. I don’t have a pc, just Apple stuff, so easy choice. Use it for intermediate maintenance resetting and simple to use.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 AM
thanks Pmorritt, I'm a Mac guy myself, though I have to use PC's all day at work and have no problem running Windblowz on a partition of my Mac.

does anyone have an opinion on which tool would be better for diagnostics? (something I hope to not need, but better be prepared)

Old 06-16-2018, 03:10 PM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
I have never been successful in getting data stream to work with the Durametric.

The iCarSoft-PORII data stream works well and has a quite a bit of data available that is useful for diagnostics.

I just used it to read the PDK sump temperature when drain and refilling the transmission as required by the filling procedure (check fill level at 40 C.)

Both seem to reset the maintenance indicators OK.

Really like the self-contained aspect of the iCarSoft model.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Thanks Chuck, actually your excellent write up on the PDK fluid change was the primary reason for me starting this thread

Old 06-17-2018, 05:46 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I have used the duramtric for my 997 and now my 970. Does the job for me.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:01 AM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
cerbomark ....

Have you been able to read data on your 970 using the Durametric?

I was unable to and corresponded with the Durametric company and they said data streaming may come in a later update. Many of the other models have data stream support.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:11 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I don t know what data you are referring to. I can look at dozens of different sections of the 970, I can see and clear all codes, reset anything that needs to be re set (service, codes, etc). There is tons of stuff I have never went into (have not needed to) so I m no expert. I have seen moving graphs while car is running but have no idea if it s accurate. I have looked at TPMS battery life. I have a three vin unit and will have one vin left in a few months when the Pana goes back and then I ll re sell the duramtric. It has served its purpose as re setting my service indicators for years.

Last edited by cerbomark; 06-17-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM
970panamera is an unknown quantity at this point
check out this video, goes over the POR-II

Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 PM
dudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cerbomark
I don t know what data you are referring to. I can look at dozens of different sections of the 970, I can see and clear all codes, reset anything that needs to be re set (service, codes, etc). There is tons of stuff I have never went into (have not needed to) so I m no expert. I have seen moving graphs while car is running but have no idea if it s accurate. I have looked at TPMS battery life. I have a three vin unit and will have one vin left in a few months when the Pana goes back and then I ll re sell the duramtric. It has served its purpose as re setting my service indicators for years.

I believe HP41 is partly correct in that Durametric does not yet support "some" features for the 970. Specifically, I was recently looking at engine module real time data which did not work. Other features that are common across Porsche models do work, as you noted.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Maybe Durametric has some updates or updated units because mine shows the difference (and can clear whichever is selected) on the major, minor services as someone stated above that their does not.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:42 PM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Durametric has major, minor, and oil - which are the three service types for my Panamera.

On the actual values, it appears Durametric only supports specific modules and the PDK is not one of them: http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx

That being said, the Durametric so far as been a great tool for codes and service reset. I do hope they support more modules and features in the near future. It would be great if they supported suspension actual values given the number of people who have had air suspension problems, it would make troubleshooting a lot easier.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:08 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I would agree on Durametric. Using mine on Cayenne Turbo and Panamera Turbo. No issues, can reset service intervals, see codes, do diags on parts, etc.
I did notice that many features depend on sw updates. Recently ran into issues, but uninstalled the USB driver and the Durametric SW, then installed latest version from their site. No issues and all problems went away.
Sticking with Durametric for me.

Originally Posted by tallpaul
Yeah, Durametric has major, minor, and oil - which are the three service types for my Panamera.

On the actual values, it appears Durametric only supports specific modules and the PDK is not one of them: http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx

That being said, the Durametric so far as been a great tool for codes and service reset. I do hope they support more modules and features in the near future. It would be great if they supported suspension actual values given the number of people who have had air suspension problems, it would make troubleshooting a lot easier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iCarSoft -PORII Versus Durametric