Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

External Amplified Subwoofer Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 12:45 PM
DavidIn is an unknown quantity at this point
External Amplified Subwoofer Question

I purchased an "ION Road Warrior" external speaker box to get more bass from the stereo. I has both AUX cable and Bluetooth capabilities. How do I go about playing music through both the internal 2011 4S Panamera stereo and the "ION" simultaneously?

Thank you, David

Old 07-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Victory007 is on a distinguished road
There are a few ways you could do this. One would be to turn the analog sub speaker signal into a usable RCA output using something like this :

https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl-Channel-Converter-AccuBASS-Subwoofer/dp/B00IIL0LW0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530996492&sr=1-2&keywords=audiocontrol https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl-Channel-Converter-AccuBASS-Subwoofer/dp/B00IIL0LW0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530996492&sr=1-2&keywords=audiocontrol

It would take the speaker outputs going into the stock sub and allow you to then run the outputs into your box. You'd have to splice to use both the stock sub and the external sub. Like I said there are a number of ways to do this, but this may well be the easiest way to accomplish what I think you are looking to do. Now if you're trying to get a full signal into the Ion it gets a little more complicated, but for the sub-signal only this would do.

Last edited by Victory007; 07-07-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:54 PM
This makes complete sense. What color are the wires I should splice? Because the Bose subwoofer has only 1 speaker, I am assuming it should be mono. I am thinking I would splice a Y-type lead out of each of the two wires connecting to the Bose subwoofer. The second line out of each Y-type lead would then connect to a single AUX cable, which would then connect to the ION AUX in port.

Another question is should I splice before the amplifier or after it? Splicing before seems to make more sense, but I am no expert.

The ION speaker box (ION Road Warrior) has a single AUX line in and bluetooth capability.

Any photos would be appreciated and helpful.

Respectfully, David

Old 07-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Splice at the subwoofer in the rear compartment. All the wires you need are there. Trying to splice anywhere else will cause problems. Yes, the sub output is mono so basically you would be amplifying it. Using the high-level speaker outputs is not the pristine audiophile option, but it works well with a sub-signal. I have done a similar thing. Although I went with a discrete amp and sub box.

Keep it simple and I think you will be successful. The below is a picture of the wires with the connector to the BOSE sub removed.

Last edited by Victory007; 07-08-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for.

David

Old 08-01-2018, 09:54 PM
All went well and now I can "feel" the bass!!!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 PM
Old 08-02-2018, 12:40 PM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
Not bad for the money! pls post pics of your install

Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 PM
Awesome man!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by LGARCIA
Not bad for the money! pls post pics of your install

The LC2i box is mounted in the rear battery compartment.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:24 PM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
Thank you for the pics, looks like a great solution!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:37 PM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Thanks for this, very good stuff! Sorry for resurrecting this thread guys but I'm doing the same project. I have some queries which I hope you don't mind responding to...

1. The picture did not reveal how I should wire the power for the LC2. Do I get power from the stock Bose sub (assuming the Bose stock sub is powered), straight to the battery or somewhere else?
2. Where did you tap the power wires of the ION RoadWarrior?
3. Instead of the LC2, will I be able to use "AudioControl THE EPICENTER BLACK Bass Restoration Processor", is the function the same as the LC2? This comes with the remote control while you have to buy the remote separately if I got a LC2. The Epicenter is also wider and might not fit where DAVIDIn placed the unit. However, I'd really like the way DAVIDIn's install looked like.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl-EPICENTER-Black-Restoration-Processor/dp/B01EE3Y53Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544066665&sr=8-1&keywords=audiocontrol+epicenter https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl-EPICENTER-Black-Restoration-Processor/dp/B01EE3Y53Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544066665&sr=8-1&keywords=audiocontrol+epicenter

4. Any pictures of how the ION Sub sits at the back?

Thanks, cheers!

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 12-06-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:22 AM
I apologize for the delay and was finally able to take some photographs of the install. In the previous photograph earlier in this thread, you will see the positive terminal on the battery with a small connection bolt. That is where the power is sourced.

The power line is toward the bottom of the LC2 and was wired directly to the battery and an in-line fuse was added for protection.

The is the power line that runs behind the battery.

Photo of the speaker box in the rear cargo area. Because the Aux input is at the back of the speaker box, I purchased a 90 degree elbow 3.5mm connection. While driving around, the speaker box would rest up against the rear portion of the cargo area and bend the normal type of 3.5mm connection and break it. The 90 degree elbow easily resolved this.

This is the side view to the speaker box. Because it is angled similar to the shape of the rear hatch, it is a perfect fit.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:49 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Very nice DavidIn! Thank you for the pictures. Hope you dont mind answering a few more questions.
1. Did you then wire the IONs power the same way as the LC2 (+ terminal of the battery)?
2. How about the negative wires (-), did you also connect directly to the battery or spliced from the factory sub wiring?
3. How about the remote turn on line, did you splice from the factory sub's remote turn on line for both LC2 and ION sub?
4. Considering the speaker wire from the factory sub is mono (1 ch), did you use a "Y" rca connector going to the ION sub?

Old 12-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Very nice DavidIn! Thank you for the pictures. Hope you don't mind answering a few more questions.
1. Did you then wire the IONs power the same way as the LC2 (+ terminal of the battery)?
Answer: The ION is a self-contained speaker box with an amplifier already installed inside the enclosure. It has a power cord that you can plug into the wall socket at home. Battery life has been very good with about 8 hours of hard thumping bass. It also has a wire to connect it to a cigarette lighter power supply in the back of the Panamera as well.

2. How about the negative wires (-), did you also connect directly to the battery or spliced from the factory sub wiring?
Answer: The LC2's negative wire was connected to the negative terminal on the battery.

3. How about the remote turn on line, did you splice from the factory sub's remote turn on line for both LC2 and ION sub?
Answer: Yes

4. Considering the speaker wire from the factory sub is mono (1 ch), did you use a "Y" rca connector going to the ION sub?
Answer: The signal was pulled from the output Bose amplifier by splicing into them with a 3.5mm Aux cable. For me, I just wanted the additional bass from the box. I set the volume on the box to 13, which gives me the bass without compromising clarity.

I am happy to answer any other questions. Good luck, David

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: External Amplified Subwoofer Question