Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12' Panamera base model died on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 04:33 PM
panamera_lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Since this new porsche owner stated they only had the car for a day or so ‘Seller would be Liable for any mechanical problems in the car, unless the car was sold and the problems were mentioned , Now if the buyer had any cosmetic damage problems thats 100% the buyers fault .

Old 09-18-2018, 04:45 PM
ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by panamera_lou
i Sell cars & if i sell a “6 year old car” customer buys a car from me today & it breaks down tomorrow they have every right to take me to court if i basically tell them your on your own .. now if it were a few months into the purchase thats another story but then again im in new york and car sales / lemon law is strict here so thats why i mentioned the seller is liable for any possibly failures the car may have
Originally Posted by panamera_lou
Since this new porsche owner stated they only had the car for a day or so ‘Seller would be Liable for any mechanical problems in the car, unless the car was sold and the problems were mentioned , Now if the buyer had any cosmetic damage problems thats 100% the buyers fault .
New York consumer protection laws don't apply to a resident of Arkansas purchasing a car in Texas.

Texas does not have a "Lemon Law" for vehicles which are beyond the manufacturer's warranty period.
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law

Arkansas tells its residents that they are on their own, as well.
https://arkansasag.gov/consumer-prot...used-vehicles/

Purchasing a used car has risks. And that risk is generally reflected in the market value and agreed-upon selling price.
Consumers should go into any purchase with eyes wide open.
They should certainly demand a PPI and determine if an aftermarket warranty suits their tolerance/appetite for incurring potentially costly and disruptive repair costs.

The Panamera is a six figure, incredibly complicated automobile. Plan accordingly.

Last edited by ace10; 09-18-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:54 PM
panamera_lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ace10
New York consumer protection laws don't apply to a resident of Arkansas purchasing a car in Texas.

Texas does not have a "Lemon Law" for vehicles which are beyond the manufacturer's warranty period.
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law

Arkansas tells its residents that they are on their own, as well.
https://arkansasag.gov/consumer-prot...used-vehicles/

Purchasing a used car has risks. And that risk is generally reflected in the market value and agreed-upon selling price.
Oh ok i was speaking on behalf of experience but like you just mentioned different states, different laws ‘ so disregard my comment ... well i hope you(owner of the post) figure out whats wrong with the panamera and have it fixed and keep us posted

Old 09-19-2018, 04:42 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
What's happening? We like to hear the update from @darkhart - Rick. SAD ...

Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
he posted over on rennlist, cars at a independent shop getting checked out - nothing definite yet

Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
That is SAD ... I would bring to Porsche dealer for the total health check up, LOL ... hope DarkHart had a sweet deal on the car to upset the cost of the repair.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 PM
yeah, it's a real bummer, can hardly imagine -I would be sick to my stomach

Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
FWIW, and for those considering purchase of any car that is not brand new, from dealer or private:

I picked up my PTT on West Coast, San Diego area. Drove to Tx in one shot non stop drive, about 18 hrs.
From what I researched and from personal experience, I made sure that I:
- see the vehicle in person before final signature
- do inspection on car (I paid about $450 for my PPI, at a reputable Porsche service center, not at dealer - made sure the shop regularly services Porsche and Panamera)
- made sure to ask shop what items they will check and verified with dealer what type of stuff I would like to have checked
- Played with every option before driving off, including on test drive, etc
- Made sure to drive the car in highest performance mode, at high rpm while in test drive
- know exactly what my options are if car breaks on way home, or few days after (some offer warranty, some include it, some do not provide anything, just be aware of what you have)
- Do final walk through and make sure your gut is telling you yes. You would be surprised how many times your gut feeling turns out to be a very true alarm.
- After you buy, do not look back...you already have the car, looking back will make you resent it...worst place you can be in.

Hope we get updates, i am curious what happened. My guess is fuel pump or cats/emissions related.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:50 PM
darkhart is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay everyone here's the update...…
Fuel pump in the gas tank took a dump on me. I did call the dealership I purchased it from soon as it happened and the wanted me to just bring it back to them cause they thought I was still in the Dallas area but I was already 285 or so miles away so they told me to have it towed to my indy and checked out of which I did. My guy called me yesterday afternoon to tell me what the issue was and the repair would be $935.00 total so I called the dealership and they paid for the repair over the phone and I picked up my baby a little after noon today and all is right in the world again lol.....
I would like to address a few statements that was made above if I may, I really do appreciate all the help and advice that was given thank you all. As far as dealers being responsible for used vehicles and their repairs, having spent 10 yrs in the car business I can definitively tell you that is based purely on the state you buy in, Texas as well as Arkansas which is both the states I bought in and live in states that a used car is purchased AS IS with NO WARRANTY unless there is still manufactures warranty or the dealership/seller offers one in writing otherwise there is nothing. This is why I took my time searching for the right car and when I found it the dealer offered for me to take it and have it checked out which is what I did over the course of two separate trips to Arlington and it received a clean bill of health so yes I was pretty sure of my purchase. I'm not a mechanic thus I don't know if there was a test that could have been preformed to spot the failing fuel pump cause she sure didn't drive like it was having a issue with fuel but non the less it's repaired and time for me to start enjoying her that is after all the rain goes away......

Last edited by darkhart; 09-21-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:04 PM
Glad to hear it was taken care of quickly, $935 is not a bad price (even if you didn't have to pay for it) - and I doubt there is anyway yo know when a fuel pump is going to take a dump short of it making some ungodly racket that you would have heard before leaving the dealer.

enjoy your car, they are fantastic rides :-)

Old 09-21-2018, 11:24 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Fuel pump failing is often signalled by trouble starting the car. Car turns over several times before you start. The longer you take before repairs, the longer it will take car to start. Eventually you turn the key, car turns over but no start.
If you know your plugs, started are decent (which it would be by attempting to start), you deduce fuel delivery system, thus fuel pump.
Looking into it, fuel pump located under back seats. similar to Cayenne. Good to do when fuel tank is very low on gas (so draining is a good idea, or driving until very little left). Move seats folding them over, access bottom of floor, there is a cutout in carpet you have to cut through, get to the fuel opening covers (flanges), use large flat screwdriver and hammer to gently unscrew each cover, disconnect all connectors, twist failing pump out quarter rotation to ccw direction. IMO I would replace both once you are there. Make sure you note which pipe goes to which connection, etc. Take a pic. Fittings are quick connect and different sizes, so not too hard to keep track of what connections are.
Once you have old pump out, you insert new one, make sure your connections are proper, cover flanges and use screwdriver to tap back into place. Put some dual carpet tape on top of flanges, place cut out carpet pieces on tape to adhere to floor. Put seats back and you have your car back.

Definitely a DIY (I think I actually have one for Cayenne, not sure if posted or not). The difficulty in your situation is that you were away from home and had to tow it. That part sucked I bet.
Good thing it is all done. Enjoy and good thing the dealer was standing behind their product.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:36 AM
i am happy for you, your car is under control now and you start to enjoy your panamera. The good thing is your dealer took care the repair cost. Give them a good note for doing a right thing.