Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12' Panamera base model died on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:29 PM
darkhart is an unknown quantity at this point
12' Panamera base model died on highway

Hello all, this is NOT the post I thought would be my first one here but yet it is. After months of researching and reading up on these machines I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a used 2012 v6 rear wheel drive base model with 73k on the clock, it had only had two owners and had always been serviced at a Porsche dealership. Well I go to Arlington TX to pick up the car and proceed on my 5hr drive back to Little Rock, AR and this car drove so lovely and smooth so needless to say I was grinning all the way at this point. About 285 miles into the trip back home I'm cruising along at 75 mph listening to the stereo when all of a sudden the A/C stops blowing then the car starts losing power when the accelerator was pressed, the display shows in red to "reduce speed" of which I had no choice to cause there was no power hardly so I quickly pull over to the side medium as the car is all but dead at this point and just as I come to a complete stop the car dies. I tried to restart it but it won't, it turns over and seems to have a almost rough start before quickly dying and I notice that the radio wouldn't work completely and had the message disable due to low voltage or something close. I know I'm WISHING but would a bad battery cause this type of issue with this vehicle???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Rick

Old 09-16-2018, 03:12 PM
darkhart is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay today I installed a new battery that had no effect, still turns over but it wouldn't start so I hooked up a OBDII scanner I had and pulled two codes P12A1 and P0336. I also noticed that the volume control on the stereo no longer works which I noticed yesterday when all this started and today I also noticed the power trunk open/close isn't working either whereas it did before all this started???

Old 09-16-2018, 05:23 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
the P12A1 kind of points to the high pressure fuel pump - a thread with possible some useful info
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...181-and-p2404/

Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
MY FIRST ADVICE TO YOU: CALL DEALER TO LET THEM KNOW YOUR CAR DIED ON THE WAY HOME FROM THE DEALER PURCHASE.
Demand help and there should be warranty for x number of miles, or days. They should be helping here. IMO, I would have called from the side of highway.

As to the errors, the two codes do start pointing finger to fuel IMO.
Here is some info about the P0336 code.
The other code may affect the catalytic converter, hard to say exactly what the issue is, since system must be diagnosed thoroughly to find the issue.

My recommendation for you, at this time (since I cannot comment on your ability to diagnose this, and since you do not have proper diagnostic tools):
- You should take it to Porsche shop (not just a shop, but one that does Panamera servicing). They will have the PIWIS2 system that will tell them fast what the problem areas are, and combined with their experience in fixing these cars, will get to the issue soon.
- You should obtain proper diagnostic tools for this car if you intend to do any DIY work on it. Will save you thousands, but you have to be willing to do it.
- Be in touch with dealer who sold you the car immediately.

Update us on the work, so others can look out for similar symptoms, and can debug quicker. Thank you.

Last edited by ciaka; 09-17-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:49 PM
orangeokie is an unknown quantity at this point
My first thought was an alternator failure.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
As stated , I would throw this all right back on the selling dealer.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 PM
Bobby Buggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cerbomark
As stated , I would throw this all right back on the selling dealer.
agreed

Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Bobby Buggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Please share your results

Old 09-18-2018, 11:48 AM
ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !
Nowhere in the OP's post does he mention purchasing the vehicle from a licensed car dealer.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:14 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
If not - then SOL.

Originally Posted by ace10
Nowhere in the OP's post does he mention purchasing the vehicle from a licensed car dealer.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:53 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Check the emissions warranty info. Depending on the state, there are extended warranties on some equipment through 80k miles. Might get lucky with this.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:26 PM
panamera_lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Like a few others mentioned above, if i were you i would take this up with the person who sold you the car if its a dealer or personal seller being that you literally just purchased the car they are liable . Dont dish out your own cash trying to fix it ‘they probably sold you a lemon happens all the time .. i wouldnt even want to keep the car if something like that happened the first day of me owning it honestly just imagine what problems await in the future . but thats just my opinion others may like dishing out cash.

Last edited by panamera_lou; 09-18-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:41 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
The fuel pumps are covered for 7 years and 70k for 11 states.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:59 PM
ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by panamera_lou
Like a few others mentioned above, if i were you i would take this up with the person who sold you the car if its a dealer or personal seller being that you literally just purchased the car they are liable . Dont dish out your own cash trying to fix it ‘they probably sold you a lemon happens all the time .. i wouldnt even want to keep the car if something like that happened the first day of me owning it honestly just imagine what problems await in the future . but thats just my opinion others may like dishing out cash.
What do you think a seller would be "liable" for?

This is a six or seven year old automobile.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:27 PM
panamera_lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ace10
What do you think a seller would be "liable" for?

This is a six or seven year old automobile.
i Sell cars & if i sell a “6 year old car” customer buys a car from me today & it breaks down tomorrow they have every right to take me to court if i basically tell them your on your own .. now if it were a few months into the purchase thats another story but then again im in new york and car sales / lemon law is strict here so thats why i mentioned the seller is liable for any possibly failures the car may have

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 12' Panamera base model died on highway