Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VR tune on a 970TT - anyone? looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:57 AM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
VR tune on a 970TT - anyone? looking for feedback

with VR's recent advertised sale prices for their panamera tune, i'm definitely thinking about this upgrade. i've gone through all the content online and have reviewed several videos, but i'm now hoping to get some real world feedback from people who have performed this upgrade on a V8TT or maybe even some other models. the quoted gains at the sale price are certainly reasonable and, based on their statements, i think their 575hp figure could be conservative. on their mustang dyno, they actually pulled a 21% improvement at whp figures - the site states 380whp to 460whp on the dyno. so, who here has the tune and what are your impressions??

Old 11-13-2018, 03:35 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
just as a follow up, i've done a little comparison shopping (and come across a couple older 6SO threads) and it's interesting to see the numbers and pricing.

VR - 575hp, 605tq, $1050 sale price (+ $250 for DimSport)
GIAC - 593hp, 598tq, $3000
Softronic - 590hp, 605tq, $1495
Fabspeed - 590hp, 586tq, $1595
FVD - 590hp, 575tq, $1095 with the DimSport included

FVD is looking like the clear value of the 5, but i'm curious why their tq figure is the lowest. Anyone running the FVD or any other tune?

Old 11-13-2018, 04:08 PM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
I have the VR tune and the IPD plenum and couldn't be happier - not sure about the HP figures as it's not been dyno'd but there is a substantial increase in power and virtual elimination of the turbo lag. I'm sure there are many good options out there - keep us posted on what you end up with.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:16 PM
the IPD plenum would be the other item to add based on performance value. i'd love to know what you are dyno'ing at with the VR tune and IPD plenum. i'm sure they (the plenum and tune) offset their numbers a good bit, but estimates would say you must be north of 600hp with a nice power curve. any chance you have a data instrument for a launch control pull? that would be another interesting footnote.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:03 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by C4Sbeebe
the IPD plenum would be the other item to add based on performance value. i'd love to know what you are dyno'ing at with the VR tune and IPD plenum. i'm sure they (the plenum and tune) offset their numbers a good bit, but estimates would say you must be north of 600hp with a nice power curve. any chance you have a data instrument for a launch control pull? that would be another interesting footnote.
No, I don't have a data recorder and I don't do launch control on my car (just not my thing) - you might want to check w/ the guys at Vivid as they may have power figures associated w/ their tune.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:36 PM
well, i guess this thread will die, but after looking into all the options more, i think i'm currently leaning towards the FVD offering.
thanks for your thoughts, ski.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
I have FVD flashes on both a Pannie Turbo S and a 996TT.
I'm really satisfied with the FVD products : there are noticeable power gains, still while not putting your vehicle or engine at risk,
Power gains on the 2 vehicles are different : the Pannie TTS has some initial lag compared to the 996TT, but then gains speed at an exponential clip. The car is stupid fast and might break the 200mph barrier.
The 996TT is like a go cart on steroids with an immediate hit which seems to want to pull the wheels out of their wells.
Different cars, different kicks.

In full disclosure, the 996TT has zero clearance aftermarket turbos and GT2 intercoolers, which may contribute to getting more of a direct hit and less lag. I am thinking of removing some of the flow constraints on the Pannie, but for that I will need it on a lift and be able to lower the engine.Quite some work for which I currently do not have the time.

Last edited by Yves; 11-14-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:01 AM
appreciate the feedback, Yves. rather certain the FVD software is my choice at this point.
the next item to attack is the exhaust - need to hear this car more. i really want to swap out the cats for 200s, but that's a bit down the road. h-pipe first.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:26 PM
stanspan is an unknown quantity at this point
I did my 2010 Panamera TT, It is very fast now, you feel it immediately , I did not do VR, but they all make improvements. burns all 4 tires off the line. Im sure it will do 200mph, I have done 170 and its a lot of fun now

Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 PM
pwc6t3 is on a distinguished road
I have the VR tune and the IPD plenum also. No regrets getting the tune. Comfort feels like sport, sport feels like sport plus, and sport plus is FUN.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 AM
amgpan is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the VR Tune on my TT & the IPD plenum

Made a huge difference.

Though their after sales service was questionable.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:28 AM
thanks for the latest feedback, stanspan, pwc6t3, and amgpan.

i'm pretty sure the IPD will come shortly after the tune, but your feedback on your various tunes sounds very promising. the idea of near-600hp is too tempting to pass up - especially for less than a grand!!

Old 11-20-2018, 09:48 AM
now, softronic has come into the picture with their black friday type 'GOBBLE' sale. very respectable numbers (590hp, 610tq) and 20% their list price. that puts softronic within $100 of FVD sale price and softronic shows the strongest torque figures out of everyone. FVD torque is listed at 575tq.

anyone using the softronic tune?

Old 11-22-2018, 03:31 PM
ruderob is an unknown quantity at this point
Same Boat on ECU tune

Did you decide on a vendor for your ECU upgrade? I want to take advantage of the holiday discounts as well but I cannot find enough feedback or owner data to make a solid decision. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Old 11-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the above options. Nor do I think you're going to feel the difference between 575tq and 600tq, as long as you go with a reputable company who won't put your engine at risk. Just do it !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VR tune on a 970TT - anyone? looking for feedback