Sponsored by:

2010 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:44 PM
blackduc238 is on a distinguished road
2010 Turbo

Hey all,
Newbie question here. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 2010 Turbo. 74000km on it (about 45000miles).
I've been reading thru the threads and was wondering if there are things I should be hunting for that could expose problems. Car is at a non Porsche dealer, no records on service other than a minor accident.. Initial quick look, the car looks perfect.
So any advice on what to look at/listen for/dig around, would be a great help.
I've scheduled an extended test drive and if I'm loving it, taking it for an inspection at a respected independent shop.
Thanks

Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
High pressure fuel pump, air compressor, AOH8 recall (cam bolt adjusters) and front end suspension components. Best bet is the PPI you'll schedule after your test drive- good luck and keep us posted. I didn't due such good due diligence but seem to have gotten lucky w/ a clean example that was well kept.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:27 PM
I know what to look/listen for with the suspension. I figure the recall is something to call Porsche directly about. How would I tell fuel pump issue other than lag when I stomp it.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Those were the common problems w/ the early models and most were fixed under warranty. Does a Carfax report show anything? Any access to dealer service records?

Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 PM
I havent tried dealer yet. I've read they don't like to share info and you pretty much have to call the right dealer to get the info. I have to do some more digging on that front. Carfax didn't list service at all, just ownership changes and a minor accident

Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by blackduc238
I havent tried dealer yet. I've read they don't like to share info and you pretty much have to call the right dealer to get the info. I have to do some more digging on that front. Carfax didn't list service at all, just ownership changes and a minor accident
I called my dealer, gave them my VIN and they looked up their Porsche nationwide network and rattled off the work performed and location based on records they have. They wouldn't send it to me but I wrote it down so still captured the info. Maybe you can do something similar? Good luck!

Old 11-18-2018, 06:10 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Do PPI at porsche specializing place, not just any mechanic shop. They will have experience fixing Panameras and will know exactly where to look.
Dont assume sales place is telling you the truth. Likely they are not disclosing something and you will not know until after you bought the car. So be careful.
Also consider maintenance costs, after you buy the car. Doing yourself, air shocks, about 1500 just for parts (and you will have to change them).
Lower/upper control arms, about $600 per pair just for parts.
Brakes, about 1600 for full set with pads.
Transmission oil, about 200 for oil alone.
Gearing front/rear, about 50 for fluid itself.
Tires, range widely, but starts about 600 and goes up.
Oil changes about $100 for oil and filter.

Something to consider. Above is only for parts. All the work done yourself. If you have dealer do this, you can tack on 250/hr easy.
Indy shop will charge about 160 or so per hr.
Highly recommend getting diagnostic package, that you can use to pd when errors/issues come up.
Good luck.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by ciaka
Do PPI at porsche specializing place, not just any mechanic shop. They will have experience fixing Panameras and will know exactly where to look.
Dont assume sales place is telling you the truth. Likely they are not disclosing something and you will not know until after you bought the car. So be careful.
Also consider maintenance costs, after you buy the car. Doing yourself, air shocks, about 1500 just for parts (and you will have to change them).
Lower/upper control arms, about $600 per pair just for parts.
Brakes, about 1600 for full set with pads.
Transmission oil, about 200 for oil alone.
Gearing front/rear, about 50 for fluid itself.
Tires, range widely, but starts about 600 and goes up.
Oil changes about $100 for oil and filter.

Something to consider. Above is only for parts. All the work done yourself. If you have dealer do this, you can tack on 250/hr easy.
Indy shop will charge about 160 or so per hr.
Highly recommend getting diagnostic package, that you can use to pd when errors/issues come up.
Good luck.
Awesome info, thanks!
You mentioned a diagnostic package. I've seen mention of a few different ones. Recommendations?

I took it out for a 3 hour test drive on the weekend. HOLY **** can that thing launch! Listened for noises, and anything out of the ordinary and so far so good. Scheduled to have it taken to a known Porsche specialty shop for an inspection.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the help so far!
What diagnostic package do you have?
I did some calling around and got the complete service history from Porsche. It seems each dealer has their own history but can tell you who the previous dealership was. Then you call them and go thru the chase with them. Eventually got it all. Started with Porsche Canada and worked backward. Lucky for me almost all the service was with one dealership.
Car is getting PPI at a Porsche specialty shop.

All goes well, I should be car poor in a few days!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:22 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I have a couple porsche cars and chose to go with durametric. Others have other diags. For me durametric works great, especially that my CTT has full support from it.
Diags is the ticket for anyone who looks to do DIY stuff at all. Without it, any error is a guess work.
Congrats on car to be.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:25 AM
LouDA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blackduc238
All goes well, I should be car poor in a few days!
Know that feeling 😂

Old 11-26-2018, 08:04 AM
Well, pulled the trigger. Car was delivered on Thursday. Just in time for my hockey game, and my daughters hockey tournament on the weekend.
Goalie gear all fits in perfect. I did need to lower one of the rear seats.
WOW is the car ever smooth and quiet! Love it.
I'm sucking at parking. I had a full sized pickup truck and it was easier to park. It's going to take some practice until I get comfy I think, so for now I'm parking in the back forty!

I have some noob questions for anyone following

I'm finding most gas stations only have up to 91 fuel. Manual and cap say 93 but you can baby with 91. Whats the real world experience? I'm not tracking the car but worried about when I can't find a station with 93+

I've also noticed the car is pretty low (or feels it ) when going into parking lots, driveways, etc. Now every time I get close to turning off a road, I'm raising the suspension. Anyone else doing this? Any downside to doing this frequently?

Still figuring out how to set things the way I like them, fun so far, can't wait to get some real play time!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM
You must live in one of the CA, NY, type of states or in Canada.
With 91 octane, car adjusts but your mileage will suffer. Not sure you will notice power difference.
Car has long nose, you will have to get used to driving off driveways onto streets slowly and use the raise button too.
Down side of raise button all the time depends on state of your air suspension. If you have air leaks in it, you will see fronts and/or rears sagging. Then you will know you have a leak and will have to deal with it right then and there if you want to drive.
Typically, it will involve replacing air shocks, maybe valve block, maybe compressor/relay too. Depends on when you catch leak and what is affected.
I have DIYs on this so search by my name. Some good reading for you to assess your car suspension.
Good luck and great choice.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:39 AM
LouDA is on a distinguished road
Nice work! Still have that new car feeling of giddiness?

Old 11-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by LouDA
Nice work! Still have that new car feeling of giddiness?
Still scared of the car to be honest. My truck handled like crap and I abused it. With the long front and rear wheels being so far back the turning is totally different.
Been reading the manual as I discover new things.
I'm just outside Toronto Canada and the weather has not been nice for me. Rain or slushy mix everyday. I did notice the rear window offers little view when its raining and you're going slow.
Miffed the gps is so old. Starting to snoop around at a different unit and maybe getting the birds eye. Not sure if the Bermister will work with it, so its a summer thing. google maps on the phone will have to do the trick for now.
But yeah..lovin the car. 130kph on the highway and I'm way below 2k rpm. Car is so quiet and smooth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Turbo