Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Capt. Obvious is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Filter Location

Anyone know where the oil filter is located on a 2018 Panamera 4S? When I peek under the engine cove I see what looks like the oil filter cap. I can't remove the engine cover to gain access to it because of the sway bar that goes across it. Maybe I'm mistaken? Looked everywhere else.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:02 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I ll guess from previous models and say front passengers underside of engine.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:17 PM
thanks

Old 12-03-2018, 09:02 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
You have to remove the lower engine shield. The, you will need the oil filter wrench like
this one this one
It is located in front of passenger foot well area.
Search for my user name and find panamera oil change video, one of my many DIY threads.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:10 AM
Thanks

Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Looks like my plan for DYI oil changes is put on hod for now. The oil filter is located on the top of the engine under the cover. Problem is you can't get the cover off for access due the large bar going across the top of the engine. Even if you could get the cover off, that bar is in the way.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
show us a pic.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 PM

In the first pic you can see the bar going across the engine cover. In the second pic you can see the cover for the oil filter. Had to place the phone under the cover to get the picture. The third shows the bolt holding the bar in place. a 16 mm socket fits but there is not enough room to for the socket and the head of the wrench on. There is a nut on the backside of the bolt. Can get a box or open ended wrench on the head of the bolt on the front but the there is no access to the nut on the back side for one of those.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 AM
First, I would recommend you look at vids for other DIYs of oil change on panamera, and decide if this is something you want to tackle, and if you feel confident to do it all the way through without quitting mid way. If you have doubts, go to a shop.
IMO, do not look at how much work and time it will take to do a job, but look at how awesome it will be to have it all completed. That will give you more confidence to do things on your own. Once you do few times, you will be glad you do them all.

I would strongly advise, before anyone starts doing DIY stuff on Porsche cars in general, to obtain the following:
- good service manual (FSM - Field service manual)
- diagnostic tool (I dont know what you can get for 2018 panamera - my '11 is good to go with Durametric - you have to research for your car on forums, not just this one)
Not having these is like working without lights, feeling your way around. Will waste a lot of time, and a lot of money guessing. So do it right, get them first.

Have you looked to purchase a service manual for this car? I did a quick check and see some download manuals for panamera 2018. Most of them cover all models, base, 4, 4s, gts, turbo, turbo s, hybrid, etc.
Buy one, download and search for oil change. Mine is a PTT, and oil filter is down low in front of passenger leg space. I have to put car on ramps, remove lower engine shield, remove oil cap, then access drain bolt to drain the oil, then remove oil filter housing with a 36mm oil filter socket.

For you, looks like you will have to remove the engine cross brace by removing the bolts. Looks like head of bolts is hex, so get metric socket set (harbor freight sells 8mm to 22mm for 12 bucks). I would get regular size, not tall, from 8mm, to 26mm, then 32mm, 36mm, and 12 point sockets 22mm, 26mm for various Panamera work.
Once you get the cross brace out, you will look at the plastic covers, and usually they have plastic trim clips to remove while some pop off with gentle tug on them. I dont know your car, so you will have to try gently.

Recommend you look at this video for 2010-2016 panamera V8. If you do not feel comfortable doing some of this type of stuff, you should take it to a shop to change (dealer will charge you a lot more than a good independent porsche/german car repair shop, something to keep in mind).

Items to buy:
- buy drain plug gasket or washer (ebay or dealer - ebay cheaper so buy 10 for future)
- buy drain plug (if yours is aluminum, the 8mm hex key needed to loosen it will eventually make the hole stripped a bit, making tricky to remove later, so changing is much easier and costs about 12 bucks imo.
- buy oil filter oem (ebay or dealer)
- buy oil - I use Castrol syntec edge 5W40 all year round (Tx) 10L + another 5 L for later top ups (on turbo models)
- buy 36mm oil filter housing wrench (maybe 20 bucks off ebay)
- buy 2 pack of scotts shop towels (wallyworld 4 bucks)

Useful tools for Panamera:
- metric sockets - 8mm to 26mm, 32mm, 36mm
- Torx sockets T10-T60
- External Torx (get typical set E8-E20)
- Allen keys (set, 2mm through 15mm or so), oil change needs 8mm on most porsches
- Wrenches 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, with extensions (short and long)
- Triple square set (including M8, M10, M12 commonly used)
- plastic pry tools for trim removal, etc
- ramps
- car jacks (2 is optimal), and/or stands

Once plastic is off in area of oil filter, I would:
- have car on ramps then disable air suspension if you have one
- remove lower engine shield
- locate oil drain plug (will be in the oil pan, which looks different from transmission pan that will have fins on the pan for cooling)
- remove drain plug (feel how much force was needed to remove, and apply similar to new plug when installing), and catch into oil container (walmart has them for 3 bucks for small plastic pans, or you can spend 20 bucks for enclosed ones that fit 15L (for larger jobs like transmission fluid, oil changes on panamera, mine takes 10L oil)
- let oil drain all the way
- install new drain plug with new washer, and tighten (careful not to be too hard, aluminum plug may strip and you will have to get that out for another job itself (dremel tool with cut disc, cut groove into plug stub, use large screwdriver to remove - a very fast summary) - SO DONT OVERTIGHTEN DRAIN PLUG.
- get funnel with long tube, so that it can go all the way down to bottom of car
- loosen but do not remove oil filter housing
- place funnel under the oil filter area, fitted with shop towels or rags around it to absorb spills
- unscrew oil filter housing and gently move out of the way while you catch oil into oil drain pan
- put new filter int housing
- replace gasket on filter housing
- install oil filter housing with new filter in it, back onto car (tight as old was to remove - specific torques available in FSM when you buy)
- clean area up with degreaser if you get it dirty
- put plastics back on
- put cross brace back on
- use diagnostic tool to reset service interval and you are done.

Last edited by ciaka; 01-28-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 PM
What is the exact year and model of your Panamera? May have something to help you.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:36 PM
You can go online and download your year/model parts catalog to get idea of how parts fit together.
Go HERE, choose your car, click DISPLAY button and save the PDF file to your PC.
Below are pages related to your engine covers and oil filter/pan, etc. Once you know exact model of car you can correlate to diagram and you will know how to replace the oil, filter, plug/gasket for your car.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:32 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
I agree with Ciaka's dedicated suggestion. I was looking at 2017/18 Panamera. The problem to reset is quite a bit of $ investment on the Computer. Durametric and other computer tools won't be able to reset the service interval since new Porsche 2017/2018 has a new authentication process. So the tool manufacture must pay $ to Porsche to license the code. having said that you have to buy the expensive computer around $3k to reset the service interval and other. Unless your local porsche dealer can help you out with reset. There is an article on renlist and this forum talking about the computer to reset the service interval. My durametric can only reset the service interval 1, 2 and 3 for 2016 model. I was not able to read code for any other features. I had issue with my driver seat I could not access it and reset. End up, I brought my 2016 pan4 to my Fletcher jones Porsche in Fremont to reset it, $0 cost.
Because of the service reset issue and cost to maintenance the new Porsche, I decided to buy another 2016 CPO Pan hybrid. I know the reset service interval work, just tested even though I have 9K miles interval left.

If you decide to DIY, please post the process so we all learn from you for future reference.
Go for it if you feel comfortable to tackle the oil change.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
please try Autotel 906TS to see if it works for your 2018 pan interval reset. Somebody mentioned that this will work for porsche pan 2017 up.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:52 PM
thanks to all for your help and suggestions. will keep you updated as I tackle this issue

Old 01-17-2023, 11:37 PM
gcdnevadacity is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,
Were you successful with your oil change? I'm going to try on my 2018. I'm stuck on the cross bar removal nut...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Location