Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera front end rollover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 03:10 PM
tlcarman is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Panamera front end rollover

Hi Everyone! I have a 2016 Panamera Edition with 12,000 miles on it. Whenever I make slow, tight turns it feels like the front outside tire in the turn rolls over! It is accompanied by a rubbing sound which makes it feel like the tire is going to roll right off the wheel. It occurs turning both right & left. I notice it particularly when the tires are cold and/or the road is wet. I had the tires checked and they said it was not a tire problem. The Porsche dealership says it's normal because of the way the high performance front end is designed. I have trouble believing that! It feels like the front end is going to tear itself or the tires to shreds. Any ideas? Thanks Tim

Old 12-13-2018, 04:35 PM
cbwinters01 is on a distinguished road
Hey Tim, not sure if what you are noting is the same thing that I'm replying with here, but will throw it out anyway. I have a '16 as well and experience something similar: when cold/wet outside and in a very slow turn, it is almost like the car is pushing the tire/wheel slightly forward and it is (kind of like the sensation of skipping across the road surface) creating a rubbing/scrubbing sound (almost like the sound of slowly turning in snow).
I was told by Porsche that this is totally normal and due to the size the the tires/wheels on the front end of these cars. I believe they said when cold/wet the tire firms up...in a slow turn everything in total (size/firmness/slow turn) creates the sound. I believe they did refer to it as "tire scrub", and again noted that it was perfectly normal.
Will be interested to hear other thoughts though.
cw

Old 12-13-2018, 05:27 PM
dudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the rough
Search for "Ackerman Effect".

Old 12-13-2018, 05:47 PM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
Ackerman effect was my guess too...it was really noticeable on my 2016 corvette, I had the dealer adjust the alignment and that made it better but it was always there just skipped less.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Searching you will find many Pan owners chiming in that they notice it.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
normal.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:51 AM
Tire Scrub!

Thanks for replying to my "Tire Scrub" problem. I wish there was something I could do to stop it. Seems strange to have to put up with this on a $100,000 car.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:58 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tlcarman
Thanks for replying to my "Tire Scrub" problem. I wish there was something I could do to stop it. Seems strange to have to put up with this on a $100,000 car.
Nothing you can do. It s made for handling/performance that s why. Just a function of the design. 911 people with little car experience all ask the same question.
To make it a little less annoying (if it does annoy you) is try not to turn wheel to full turning position because the further the wheels are turned the more you ll feel it.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Thanks cerbomark. I guess I will just have to deal with it!