Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter replacement questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 06:20 PM
NormalFellow will become famous soon enough
you'll see two lugs on the beam right there....

Old 10-27-2019, 06:24 PM
double check starter Relay and fuse

Old 10-27-2019, 08:37 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Thanks Alex. I will look at both straps once I get new starter in, before I connect to batt.
Will be easier to have no mess and cleaner.

Can you do me huge favor and take a shot of the relay and fuse for the pana turbo? I thought I checked per fsm and user manual but reading again, they sounded kind of confusing to me.
If you can it would be so awesome. Want to verify per others so I can be sure I got right ones. None of my fuses were out. ALl checked out good one by one.
Thank you again. I wont get to the car til the vent line comes in. mid week likely. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:54 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Hey Alex, when you took the starter out, did you do it gears end (pointed end) first? Meaning, clear the gearing slot by pushing out towards front of car, then lift rear pointy end and push towards rear of car?
or did you lift the front facing part of starter to clear the coolant pipe first?

Old 10-27-2019, 09:59 PM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
I watch with fascination the things you guys know and can do! ciaka has inspired me to do my own cabin and air filters and my front and rear brakes. I don't even know what you guys are talking about on this thread but I'm watchling closely to see how this ends... My next job in an oil change! Good luck guys and please update this thread!

Old 10-27-2019, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by ciaka
Hey Alex, when you took the starter out, did you do it gears end (pointed end) first? Meaning, clear the gearing slot by pushing out towards front of car, then lift rear pointy end and push towards rear of car?
or did you lift the front facing part of starter to clear the coolant pipe first?

Yes! Pull towards the radiator and then liftup towards the hood on thhat pointy end. Make Sure you get one of those mirrors on a stick so that you can check the clearance under the starter. There might be a wire clip right there... I'll post up pics for ya in 15 minutes....

Old 10-27-2019, 10:22 PM
Also, in your case since the starter clearly arc'd... You might have a little bit of a tough time pulling out the starter compared to the usual way.... Make sure you wiggle from side to side and pull out at the same time. If it feels like its still stuck, then we may have to energize the solenoid on the starter so that it pushes the gear out. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:52 PM
My starter separated from gears already. Trying to find space to pull sucker out.
After my helper cracked the lines, I stopped.
Will clean throttle tomorrow, wait for line. Remove old one.
How did you avoid breaking all those other vacuum lines in the valley? Man, they origami'd this car.
Yes, will love to do this together.
By seeing the starter arced like this makes me confident that was the issue when car wouldn't start.
Thanks buddy.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:55 PM
A porsche mechanic is nothing more than a human with info on how to fix porsches .
You are already human. Once you have fsm, and desire to try, you Will succeed. Most fail because they talk themselves out of doing it. Fear of unknown. Keep going, before you know, you will do it all too.
Great ti hear you're progressing. I will make DIY on starter replace once I'm done.

Originally Posted by vkb123
I watch with fascination the things you guys know and can do! ciaka has inspired me to do my own cabin and air filters and my front and rear brakes. I don't even know what you guys are talking about on this thread but I'm watchling closely to see how this ends... My next job in an oil change! Good luck guys and please update this thread!

Old 10-27-2019, 11:13 PM
Ciaka, I got a lot of info for you coming up... With pictures and with some extra suggested materials to protect from heat... Also, i ordered all those vaccum lines ahead o ftime already knowing theres a high chance of breaking them as well as a big Porsche O-ring set... the key to not breaking the vacuum hoses is to relieve all anchor or connector points. If there is a length of vacuum tube, I always make sure i disconnect both ends and then remove any of the plastic straps that hold it in place.. That way when you accidentally grab onto a vacuum hose on accident, it doesnt break at the nearest point of pressure.. rather, it is spread throughtout the tubiing and giving some "compliance" to work around the other stuff.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:26 AM
Im sure youve seen this other DIY, but thought Id paste it here just in case... https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Replacment.htm

Old 10-28-2019, 07:15 AM
..yeah saw it, but looked little deceiving since in Panamera there are some valves in way of starter, and starter is pointy with housing inserted into the gearing, making it different to remove. Thanks though. All other parts similar.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:23 AM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
What runs in that whitish line that looks like it got charred? Is it coolant? Then I'd change it if it hasn't been changed in a while. Maybe it's become conductive with age because looks like the tube got fried.

(Wondering if the original starter is still okay)...

Old 10-28-2019, 08:47 AM
That whitish line you refer to, is not a coolant line but an electrical connection between the solenoid and the starter itself. The whitish stuff on it is a thin layer of some residue, oxidation I assume.
My guess is the starter was shorting out somehow and the arcing did it in. Let me know if my reasoning not good.
Really want to make sure all is ok before I start driving that car when replacement done.

This would likely explain few weeks ago, stopped the car near autozone, can could not start. Tried multiple times, and used ignition in quick sequence to try start, then smelled some electrical plastic, turned it all off.
Then, autozone could not start car with their booster. Then they dragged a 1000cc battery to the car, hooked up and it started, but still smelled melting plastic briefly.
All was good until I stopped car in garage. then could not restart and here we are.

Originally Posted by jzchen
What runs in that whitish line that looks like it got charred? Is it coolant? Then I'd change it if it hasn't been changed in a while. Maybe it's become conductive with age because looks like the tube got fried.

(Wondering if the original starter is still okay)...

Last edited by ciaka; 10-28-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
Yes, sounds like a roasted starter. They do not like low voltage/weak batteries, nor do they like being run for extended periods.

If you're still stuck pulling the starter out I'd try that $15 subscription and try to get all the relevant instructions. I don't personally have it because each time I'm lucky if I get all the relevant ones I'm looking for. Might be good to get the fuel rail info also so you can prime the system properly, (if necessary).

Thanks for sharing your experience!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starter replacement questions