Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Spring Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 05:02 AM
jzchen is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DogWood
Nope, just pulled the air line off and let it leak out. this car is so old there isn't any N2 left in it (system is not sealed and eventually is completely air) Yves did the same thing last year when we did his car. worked fine.
I looked at the Siberian bushings and they are made the same way as the stock, they might last longer but I suspect they will fail the same way.
I’m glad to read the workaround worked for you without burning out the pump/compressor, and without having to pay for a PIWIS unit! If the system is never sealed at some point in operation it would never keep the pressure, IIRC 17 BAR. There may be valves and/or vents to atmosphere but the system tries to keep the N2 as long as there are no leaks. That’s (I guess) why the PIWIS can transfer one strut’s air, (at a time), to the accumulator (supposedly) without any loss.

I’m barely beginning to learn some of the abbreviations/acronyms, like PDCC. I opened up a hydraulic fluid reservoir yesterday wondering what it’s for, to find it a little low. There was a lot of crud on top and I finally cleaned/scraped it off. Luckily there were two part numbers on the reservoir, one for the reservoir and the other for the fluid. I had some CHS11 leftover from my wife’s ex BMW E90 so I added some.

Thanks for sharing that this stuff is doable....

Old 05-20-2020, 07:55 AM
DogWood is infamous around these partsDogWood is infamous around these parts
Side note, I was able to remove the upper arm without completely taking the air strut out, just compressed it an moved it tot he side a bit. For some reason the passenger side was giving me a hard time when I tried to pull it out, I then realized it really didn't need to come all the way out.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:57 AM
jzchen, the PDCC reservoir needs to be changed out at 60k miles - just another thing to add to your already huge list

Old 05-20-2020, 04:46 PM
Day 5, Short day
First thing, change the brake fluid

Wheels mounted

Car supporting its own weight once again! once we got it lowe enough to re-enable the suspension it filled up quickly and quietly
No chassis failure alerts or anything

Drove it to the end of the driveway - notice a rubbing sound coming from front right - turns out we mounted the tires on the wrong end -front in back, back in front DOH!!

Oil change

next was the rear differential oil, getting to the fill plug is a bit tricky, you need to move the air compressor out of the way

the mounting of the compressor is done by bolts and springs, but even though they parts are the same front and rear, how they go together is different between the front and rear of the compressor
(hard lesson learned last year when Yves did his car)

Old 05-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
OK, I was the one who screwed up with the tires. My turbos are staggered with an 80mm difference between front and back. This looked more like my Cayenne, which comes with 4 identical sizes. The difference on the Pannie 4S seems to be 20mm, hardly noticeable for a retarded , I mean recently retired person.

Last edited by Yves; 05-20-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Took yesterday off, and a slow day today, did the front diff fluid, cleaned up the engine bay(got all the trim back in place) got the wheels properly mounted and took it for a short shake down.
Then took the front off in prep for the thermostat housing and replacing the air filter

Old 05-22-2020, 08:10 PM
LouDA is infamous around these parts
Looking good! How was the shakedown? Also, are you replacing the waterpump gasket when doing the thermostat?

Old 05-22-2020, 08:59 PM
shakedown went well, felt great.
Yes plan on changing the water-pump gasket, I do believe there is something like 3 gaskets in that area that need replaced

Oh, and no PCM issues

Old 05-22-2020, 09:08 PM
Id be interested to hear what the other gaskets are? Valve covers perhaps? Great news on it feeling good man!

Old 05-22-2020, 11:02 PM
I was thinking of the thermostat gaskets, there are a couple on there that need replaced and the one pump.
the intake manifold has a gasket at each intake port - I plan on replacing them (8) as well, Yves is going to try and reuse his

Old 05-31-2020, 08:02 PM
I used Ciaka's excellent write up on his starter replacement for the initial phase of replacing my thermostat housing, there are some important differences between Turbo and an NA car like mine (mostly my car was much simpler )
this is what my thermostat housing looked like, you can clearly see the signs of an imminent failure!

this literally took very little effort to pop out, just a slight tug!

old dried coolant leaks

Getting the fuel rail out wasn't too bad, one tricky bit is the connector there in the middle, you can't see the squeeze release as it is on the backside

stuck my phone under there to see what is was, clearly shows a squeeze tab

Fuel rail out, the other tricky bit is pulling it out after removing the support bolts, you need to loosen the nut holding the starter wires so you can maneuver the support under and then lift and twist the rail out

you need to remove the water pump so you can pull out the thermostat, it is in there pretty good, found a pry-bar to the back near the housing did wonders

the housing it self needs to be lifted and tilted forward to be able to get the pipe that goes into the back out

all cleaned up and ready for re-assembly

note the new updated bolt in water pipes! Assembly is pretty simple and just the reverse of disassembly it's a whole lot easier on a NA car then a Turbo

Old 05-31-2020, 09:38 PM
Youre doing great work man! I assume you didnt need to go that far just to do the thermostat though, right? Youre just trying to be thorough?

Old 06-13-2020, 07:52 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Awesome work here...how are those new bushings holding up? I'm sure I'm due at 65K but interested in how they feel and are holding up.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:18 PM
So far they are holding up great, they feel nice and crisp. Will be putting 800 miles on them this Wednesday, good solid shake down

Old 06-13-2020, 08:24 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DogWood
So far they are holding up great, they feel nice and crisp. Will be putting 800 miles on them this Wednesday, good solid shake down
Looking forward to that feedback, what is the current mileage on your 4S?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Big Spring Service