996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT - Bilstein PSS10+GT3 Sways - Floaty feeling - Correct Setup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:30 AM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
996TT - Bilstein PSS10+GT3 Sways - Floaty feeling - Correct Setup?

Hi,

My 996TT have installed bilstein PSS10 and GT3 Sway Bars.

When I drive the car at winding road it feels to floaty.

What is the best setup to reduce the floaty (PSS10+GT3 Sways)?

I would like to feel the car more firm.

Actual Setup:
GT3 Sways Bars:
Front - Midle hole
Rear - Second hole front the finnish

Bilstein PSS10:
Front - 5
Rear - 6

Thanks,
VS

Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey bud! Alignment settings have the most to do with this. However it could also be your ride height. Do you have pictures from the side? Also if you can take one from the back looking down the side so we can see the wheel offsets unless you have the actual numbers. It will get better!

Old 05-02-2016, 09:17 AM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey bud! Alignment settings have the most to do with this. However it could also be your ride height. Do you have pictures from the side? Also if you can take one from the back looking down the side so we can see the wheel offsets unless you have the actual numbers. It will get better!

Hi Sam,

I sent you an email.

Thanks,
VS

Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !

I'd be curious in the pic as well. My car came with PSS10's and i'm mixed about them, but they've all i've experienced. I actually have it on the softest setting most the time.

But I'd like to go lower, but am nervous cause everyone says don't go to low on them.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
I'd be curious in the pic as well. My car came with PSS10's and i'm mixed about them, but they've all i've experienced. I actually have it on the softest setting most the time.

But I'd like to go lower, but am nervous cause everyone says don't go to low on them.
Mine isnīt It lowered.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Enclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to behold
If playing with the comp/rebound settings or the sway bars dont work, perhaps you have a blown shock? If not, you might look to get stiffer springs. I believe Bilstein will revalve for you with stiffer springs.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Got it V.

Looks like you have the offset with spacers I would suggest. Ride height looks good. Too low and you ride on the bump-stops with these. I had these with RUF spec on my 996TT and set properly I liked them for all-around use. I sent them in and saw that the difference was not too far from FVD and the regular PSS. Try the shocks on 4 F/R on the street and 1 or 2 on the track. The sways you can set in the middle or leave them and then adjust from there so you aren't doing too much at once.

The most important thing next in my opinion is alignment to get he best out of the PSS for all-around use. Do you have those specs?

Old 05-02-2016, 02:16 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Thats weird, cause with the dampers set to 5 and 6, the car should be rock hard. Ride height on my car is set to bilstein instructions. Lower than stock but just a little. I drive 1 front and 1 rear on daily bases cause the roads here can be horrible sometimes. For trackuse u going to go stiffer for sure.
My Sway bars are h&r set so soft in the front and middle at the rear.
I do not have much neg camber just -0,3 in the front and -1,2 at the rear.
For the track i set the car to gt2 standards. Thats ok for me and my driving.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 AM
Got it V.

Looks like you have the offset with spacers I would suggest. Ride height looks good. Too low and you ride on the bump-stops with these. I had these with RUF spec on my 996TT and set properly I liked them for all-around use. I sent them in and saw that the difference was not too far from FVD and the regular PSS. Try the shocks on 4 F/R on the street and 1 or 2 on the track. The sways you can set in the middle or leave them and then adjust from there so you aren't doing too much at once.

The most important thing next in my opinion is alignment to get he best out of the PSS for all-around use. Do you have those specs?
Hi Sam,

Yes, I have 12mm spacers in front and 3mm at rear. I like theI look of the car with the spacers. Should I remove the spacers to gainstability?

If I setup the PSS10 to 4 F/R (now I have F=5/R=6) the car be less Stiff / Firm, correct? Less stiff reduce the floaty effect?

And for trackday 1 or 2 – this values are for more comfortable!I have the PSS10 (1 = Soft 10 = Hard). Please check your suggestion.

Alignment specs:

The camber values are: Front (-1°20') and Rear (-1° 50')

The Toe are: Front (-0°04') and Rear (0° 03')

The castor is: Front (7° 30')

K.P.I. is: Front (18° 30')

Included Angle is: Front (17°24')

The cross camber are: Front (-0°26') and Rear (0° -14')

Thanks,
VS

Last edited by vshugo996; 05-03-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:38 AM
JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !
I have been through all this just last year.
You have to stick within Bilsteins height range, if you're out of this range it will affect how they perform including floaty feeling. Read the instructions manual front section for fronts and rear section for rears, see below. There is only a very small adjustment range, 10mm range front and only 5mm rear.
Stiffer sways made a huge difference and works really well with these coilovers. The sways seemed to dramatically reduce the floaty feel. I have Eibachs, full stiff front and middle rear. I also noticed factory tire pressure specs or higher helps in a big way.

Edit; I also have them set at 5 front and 6 rear.

Last edited by JimTT; 05-03-2016 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:32 AM
Olemiss540 is infamous around these parts
I would recommend setting your swaybars in the middle range until you are done fiddling with your suspension. Make tweaks to your bars once the shocks settle in and you are happy.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Former Vendor
Sorry my bad, I mixed up with the PSS9 where the #'s are backwards. It would be like running 6 or 7. Spacers are fine and a wider front track is more stable. The car didn't look too low in the pics but check them to Jim's reference b cause this is important.

What are your toe settings?

Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Sorry my bad, I mixed up with the PSS9 where the #'s are backwards. It would be like running 6 or 7. Spacers are fine and a wider front track is more stable. The car didn't look too low in the pics but check them to Jim's reference b cause this is important.

What are your toe settings?
Correct alignment specs:

The camber values are: Front (-1°20') and Rear (-1° 50')

The Toe are: Front (-0°04') and Rear (0° 03')

The castor is: Front (7° 30')

K.P.I. is: Front (18° 30')

Included Angle is: Front (17°24')

The cross camber are: Front (-0°26') and Rear (0° -14')

The car isnīt lowered.

Thanks

Last edited by vshugo996; 05-03-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:56 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Your toe is completely jacked, especially in the rear

Old 05-04-2016, 02:56 AM
Please, tell me a good alignment specs for street use.

Thanks,
VS

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT - Bilstein PSS10+GT3 Sways - Floaty feeling - Correct Setup?