996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anybody find a good single din gauge pod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 04:16 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Anybody find a good single din gauge pod?

I have thought about going with a double din stereo but, to be honest, I really wouldnt use it all that much. I have the wired hookup for my iphone coming out of the back of the stock stereo and it works quite fine as it is.

With that, I would like to have a little bit better information. The top single din is about the perfect height for gauges without clustering up around the steering wheel. Has anyone ever found a single din gauge bezel/pod that has the gauges swept towards the driver? Im fine with just two as I wanted to get an oil pressure and an IAT guage. Im running other stuff on my COBB so I would like to closely monitor those (especially IAT considering Im in AZ).

Old 06-06-2016, 11:26 PM
06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future06Turbo has a brilliant future
I can't say I have seen these in a 996 turbo but there is the typical "A" pillar aftermarket pod set up (I would think would be intrusive and create a blind spot) that you see on many "import" cars and pickup trucks that I guess do a lot of towing. And the other aftermarket option of the pod that replaces the top of the steering column (which impedes with the factory gauges)
I came across this (not in a Porsche mind you) but looks like it may be an easy fabrication. With some mind set, an OEM door triangle part, a gauge pod, and some fiberglass or even CF. it would be one of a kind and not visually intrusive I don't think.

Another (expensive option) is the Defi DIN gauge pod :

Question for you though. The wire you have coming out of the back of the radio for your iPhone, does it terminate to a USB or an iPhone connector?
I have seen a YouTube video where you tap into the blue plug on the Becker unit and eliminate the cd changer to utilize an aux port. But what I would like to do is the same "tap in" but have it as a USB port so I can either plug my iPhone or ipod (different plug ends) and the units can charge and play through the cd changer/ aux mode. Any idea what wires I would use from a USB cable in order to do that?

Last edited by 06Turbo; 06-06-2016 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Defi DIN picture