997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

20" wheel issues???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:54 PM
Rebel Lee is infamous around these parts
20" wheel issues???

So I was talking to a friend, telling him I think I want to put 20" rims on my turbo. He said that sounded like a bad idea. I said the 19'
s don't fill the wheel well enough. He said that's because I haven't lowered it yet. Thoughts? Experiences? Will the speedo be able to be calibrated to the 20's? Any other foreseeable problems with this?

Old 04-01-2017, 04:55 AM
TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !TighTT Is a GOD !
Absolutely no issues with 20's. And these bad boys (fully forged) are for sale too!!

Old 04-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Thx Tight TT, looking for matte BLK though

Originally Posted by TighTT
Absolutely no issues with 20's. And these bad boys (fully forged) are for sale too!!

those are sweet, but I'm looking for something in matte blk

Old 04-01-2017, 02:56 PM
djillusion has a spectacular aura aboutdjillusion has a spectacular aura about
No issues what-so-ever with my 20" HRE 590RS.

Name:  image2%202.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  199.2 KB

Old 04-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
I run a set of 19's and a set of 20's - both look great lowered. No issues with either set.

Get whatever makes you happiest - the car rides a bit better on the 19's with the bigger sidewall.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
My 20" wheels with 245/30R20 and 325/25R20 tires have the exact same diameter as factory wheel and tire. They're also lighter and have absolutely no problems.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:47 AM
zmw
zmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to beholdzmw is a splendid one to behold
basically your "buddy" is uhhhh... let's just call it wrong.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Rebel Lee
So I was talking to a friend, telling him I think I want to put 20" rims on my turbo. He said that sounded like a bad idea. I said the 19'
s don't fill the wheel well enough. He said that's because I haven't lowered it yet. Thoughts? Experiences? Will the speedo be able to be calibrated to the 20's? Any other foreseeable problems with this?
When you increase the wheel diameter you must decrease the tire diameter in conjunction with that. The rule of thumb is to no deviate more than 3% from the OEM wheel/tire diameter. If you follow this rule then you are in fact eliminating hardly any fender gap. He is correct that the only true way to get rid of the fender gap is to lower the car. If you try to get a bigger wheel AND a bigger tire ingoring the 3% rule just to fill in the fender gap then you risk absolutely destroying your transmission and the very sensitive Porsche AWD system.

If you need help in choosing the correct wheels & tires for your beautiful Turbo let me know. As you can see here we have tons of experience - http://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/po...s/porsche-997/

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Got it!

Thank you everyone! I'll let you know what I decide and with pics.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:18 PM
MickeyMouseTT is infamous around these partsMickeyMouseTT is infamous around these parts
The 20's do look real nice on the car for sure

Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 AM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by WheelB
When you increase the wheel diameter you must decrease the tire diameter in conjunction with that. The rule of thumb is to no deviate more than 3% from the OEM wheel/tire diameter. If you follow this rule then you are in fact eliminating hardly any fender gap. He is correct that the only true way to get rid of the fender gap is to lower the car. If you try to get a bigger wheel AND a bigger tire ingoring the 3% rule just to fill in the fender gap then you risk absolutely destroying your transmission and the very sensitive Porsche AWD system.

If you need help in choosing the correct wheels & tires for your beautiful Turbo let me know. As you can see here we have tons of experience - http://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/po...s/porsche-997/

^^ This 100%, and why I had them setup my 997.1, and other cars.

I'm running 20's with H&R, and TPC module. Zero issues.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Got it

ok, think I'll stick with stock then. Just for the sidewall strength on the streets of San Francisco.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.