997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Dguth's Forged Engine Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Nein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to behold
Love it. Nice work as always Sam!!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by trbofvr
How far do the stock MAFs read? What's the flow rating?
We got as high as 585 g/s which is quite high. So far no limitations.

Originally Posted by Nein97GT2
Love it. Nice work as always Sam!!
Thanks pal, Daniel has been great to work with!

Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Car sounds insane and those flames........ Daniel you are going to have a field day with this thing. Its moving great air, 580+ g/s! You are going to make me want to follow the same path Sam, damn you!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Appreciate all the great replies! Just can't wait to get it shipped back here. These last two weeks are going to feel like it's Christmas. Just want to get it back and drive it for a few weeks before the weather turns colder here in OH. Anxious to see how the E85 turns out. Sam's been awesome and has really took care of everything on this build.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:03 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=SamboTT@ByDesign;4663756]We got as high as 585 g/s which is quite high. So far no limitations.

I plotted your data on the MAF transfer table...you are about the to peg them . I estimate they will cap out around 600g/s however this doesn't take into account part to part variation. You are also on the steeper side, resolution isn't as good here.

Looking forward to E85 .

Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
M3 you are my man! By the way I was busting up texting over the weekend! We are ready to switch to MAFless as soon as we need to. For now I just want to see how she is doing comparatively and how she holds up.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by IMI A
Sounds amazing guys. Amazing job.

Whats the rev limit set to once its dialled in Sambo and is this engine designed to make power beyond 6750 rpm?

I'll let Sam comment but in my discussion with him, they built the engine to go to 8,000rpm, right now they have it raised to around 7,500 or 7,700...

Old 09-11-2017, 12:00 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dguth
I'll let Sam comment but in my discussion with him, they built the engine to go to 8,000rpm, right now they have it raised to around 7,500 or 7,700...

Set it as low as possible to cross the 1/4 in 4th would be an idea . Its probably around 7.5krpm putting down 700whp, dunno gotta do the math.

Dunno how many of you guys have taken engine deign classes in school but the stresses go up ^2 of speed. Though the sound at 8krpm is glorious , try not to spend too much time there unless absolutely necessary. It just shortens life...physics nothing we can do to avoid it. Best we can do is what I am assuming you guys already did which is lighten up the components.

BTW I enjoyed all my M3 engines at 8krpm every once and a while...which was necessary .

Old 09-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
Set it as low as possible to cross the 1/4 in 4th would be an idea . Its probably around 7.5krpm putting down 700whp, dunno gotta do the math.

Dunno how many of you guys have taken engine deign classes in school but the stresses go up ^2 of speed. Though the sound at 8krpm is glorious , try not to spend too much time there unless absolutely necessary. It just shortens life...physics nothing we can do to avoid it. Best we can do is what I am assuming you guys already did which is lighten up the components.

BTW I enjoyed all my M3 engines at 8krpm every once and a while...which was necessary .

I agree and good feedback. I think we will keep it around 7,500 or max it out at 7,700. I would probably rarely take it up even that high, I'm more about maximizing the daily drivability and occasional blast off

Old 09-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor
THEEEE Maestro is right. We have a 8000 set up with all the goodies. But I think we will hold her at 7700 and Daniel can visit form time to time and 7400-7500 is the sweet spot.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor
Well my friend, just have to get her cleaned up for Transport! Made it home safe and sound. All I have to say…

This car is rowdy! Leave PSM on. I mean hood just comes up and it screams. Doesn't stop pulling. We cleaned up the power band really good. I added one of the corrected graphs where it corrected to about 745 at the 4 wheels or something. Half of hour runs on ethanol she spun the tires in fourth gear on the dyno! Very clean band and very smooth pull you can feel it on the road. Delivering the car with the V8 map. Still not the greatest circulation on that dyno but it put down 771 solid on the V8 map and I'm really proud of it. Really clean and strong. We went to see what it could do just for the sake of it and version 9 did 799 to the wheels with 834 pounds of torque! Of course 799 right?! Not 801 ha ha. Not sending it to you with that one as it's literally to 11. Everything's working really great and we wanted to see what it could do. So version eight is clean, solid and runs great and you know it's not running at 11. Put the car in normal mode and your mama can drive it. It's like stock. Driving in traffic at 900 RPM even!

I hope you enjoy it safely my friend. Thanks for give me the opportunity to create this beast and see what we could do with a real solid VTG set up.

Big thanks to all involved. John is very happy with it as well I was chatting with him today.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 09-14-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the build, amazing numbers!!!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:03 PM
trbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud of
Really great numbers!! But why build the head and talk 9k rpm? Power drops before 7k in that graph? I'd slap a bigger turbo on there just seems like a waste.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by trbofvr
Really great numbers!! But why build the head and talk 9k rpm? Power drops before 7k in that graph? I'd slap a bigger turbo on there just seems like a waste.
Haha 9k whoa! On pump gas we are pulling hard all the way to 7800 which is what we talked about and are all happy with. Gonna log it on the street to verify how it does up top because the graphs were on and off with the heat. There's just no motion cooling off EGT's which we have really set up for in the recipe when the cars on the road. It was doing pretty well to about 73/7400 on E. Even 7800 with just a low hp drop. We are cool with that. You could see the turbo chargers moving from 570 up to 590 g/s of air progressively as commanded all the way up to redline and fuel trims started getting richer with higher exhaust gas temperature's. On the road this won't happen. The car is just really low with front splitter too and there was no air moving underneath it. The Dyno reads a few rpm lower. You set it to 7400 and it logs 7800+. The car is a blast and on the road she goes deep close to 8k! It's built to handle 8. Without the head work we would never have made this kind of power.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 09-14-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
That torque and power band must be a hoot in the street! How are the EGTs looking on this bad boy Sam? Easy mid 140 traps in the 1/4 with this setup.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Dguth's Forged Engine Build