Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

1997 Porsche Boxster 5spd For Sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 10:53 PM
jdi
jdi is a jewel in the roughjdi is a jewel in the roughjdi is a jewel in the rough
1997 Porsche Boxster 5spd For Sale

As the title states- Running and driving 1997 Boxster, 2.5, 5 speed.

153,xxx miles. Rebuilt Louisiana title.

To be clear, the car runs and drives, a friend and i just drove it from Eastern Oregon to where it resides now, West Monroe, LA.

I would consider it a beater, a base for a track / autocross car, a “Safari” build? Or, fix everything, and make a nice Boxster out of it? I personally wouldn’t go that route, as you could just buy a nice boxster, if that’s your thing.

Current issues - These have all been present since leaving Oregon, driving across the country

-SAI related CEL. The car sounds like it has a vacuum leak on cold start, and the pump works. It will sometimes die on hot idle coming down from higher (4k+) RPM. It always fires right back up, with no issue.

-The lower plastic base of the accelerator pedal is broken, and the pedal feels loose. I’ve gotten used to it.

- The A/C and heat work great. When they want to. The blower randomly works, and I honestly think it’s related to the wonky ignition switch. I have a new switch, and will install it if it’s a make or break. I’ve owned others 996/986 chassis that have done the same thing.

-The steering wheel and shift **** are pretty rough, the leather is smoked.

-The front suspension is worn, not to the point of shredding tires up, not hard/dangerous to drive, but just 150k miles of a hard life. Feels bouncy.

-Convertible top is in great shape, but the electrical portion doesn’t work. I don’t even think it’s installed, some parts are in the trunk. I just used it manually.

-Driver window microswitch acts funny? Both windows go up and down fine.

-Door locks don’t work from the outside tumbler, and the key is “gutted”. It’s just the key blade and the little transmitter pill in there. I never investigated the locks.

-Various body and interior flaws. The car took a nice hit (sideswipe) to the driver side in 2016 at 130k miles. I found the Copart photos, happy to send them to interested buyers. It was repaired, not an excellent job, but it passes at first glance from a ways back. Looks like the drivetrain / suspension was untouched.

-Paint on the hood is peeling, front bumper is chipped, rear is cracked. Decent elsewhere.

-Radio is missing

-Tires are OK, maybe 5k miles left on them.

-No spare

-Zero paperwork. None. Mystery car. I can write you up a nice little list of the things I have done, if you’d like.

For the positives -

​​- Runs great. Good power, no smoke, no real oil consumption to speak of. Oil changed ~2k miles ago. Has smoked a little on very cold start up twice?

-Trans feels great. Feels good in every gear, and the clutch engagement is great. No funky T/O Bearing noises, no flywheel chatter.

-Just changed Water pump and Thermostat ~2k miles ago due to the water pump dripping. It’s a “dry” car I guess you could say, doesn’t leak anything.

-I changed the seats out to some 8-way power leather bolstered seats from a 2003 Boxster with 80k miles. The original seats were trashed.

-The dash itself is decent, along with the door panels. Interior isn’t a terrible place to be, I kind of cleaned the carpets when I had the seats out.

That’s all I can think. This is a running and driving boxster project, come and get it. $5200, located in West Monroe LA. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2023, 04:04 PM
jdi
jdi is a jewel in the roughjdi is a jewel in the roughjdi is a jewel in the rough
Bump. $4,400 takes it!

Old 11-17-2023, 10:32 AM
jdi
Sold.