Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

HELP CAYENNE Shut off when driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:00 AM
Johnnny B is on a distinguished road
HELP CAYENNE Shut off when driving

Hello, So yesterday I was driving, drove fine running a bit rough but not enough to be concerned about. After getting to my destination I parked and let it sit for about 45 minutes- to an hour. Went to go start it and it sounded like it didn't want to kick over, it did though but it started to run rough and then cut out with out any warning when in park. No lights on dash whats so ever.... I took the key out and tried to restart it. Same thing, but this time It didn't cut out. Drove it to get food, when I came back out it did the same thing and cut out. Restarted it and it was normal. Drove all the way home until a half a block from my house, it cut out when DRIVING this time! No warning at ALL! I glided the car to the side of the road, took the key out tried to restart same thing. So I did it again, it started and I floored it home. Got home and now I don't know what to do. I'm at a loss. No Check engine, nothing! My shifter does do the thing when it say's "put in Park" But I'm 95% sure thats just a loose cable. Could it be a fuel pump? It now says I need gas, and Im getting 4.1 MPG, but thats what it said after I started it this morning.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:25 AM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
hmm, strange. I think it may be a fuel pump?

Old 02-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Thanks Porscheman, I heard this almost like a cd turning/spinning sound coming from the rear seats, it can be heard from the outside of the truck also its loud. Would that second that it may be a fuel pump of some sort?

Old 02-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Isolate one fuel pump at a time by pulling the applicable fuse in the engine bay.
Start the engine. If it is still rough, turn the engine off and put back that fuse and pull the other one.
Restart the engine.
Hopefully you will find out which pump is bad by using this procedure.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:59 AM
DLF
DLF is on a distinguished road
Check Fault codes, could be the crankshaft position sensor. I had problems with mine over a long period, but eventually led to stalling with no warning . The ECU cuts the fuel pumps when it thinks the engine has stopped due to the faulty signal from the crank sensor.

You need to check fault codes as you will have fault codes stored even if there are no warning lights.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 AM
Former Vendor
AZN Optics is on a distinguished road
Had the exact thing happen to me in my cayenne. Had to have my HPFP replaced.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Bigbuzuki
Isolate one fuel pump at a time by pulling the applicable fuse in the engine bay.
Start the engine. If it is still rough, turn the engine off and put back that fuse and pull the other one.
Restart the engine.
Hopefully you will find out which pump is bad by using this procedure.
Fuse number 13 and 14 right?
Originally Posted by DLF
Check Fault codes, could be the crankshaft position sensor. I had problems with mine over a long period, but eventually led to stalling with no warning . The ECU cuts the fuel pumps when it thinks the engine has stopped due to the faulty signal from the crank sensor.

You need to check fault codes as you will have fault codes stored even if there are no warning lights.
Interesting, would that be an easy fix? I'm taking it in this week to have it looked at.
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Had the exact thing happen to me in my cayenne. Had to have my HPFP replaced.
Dam, its scary to have happen. I'll tell them to check the HPFP also. I just hope I can pin point the problem because I really want to drive my truck. But it's a little hard when you think it may break down...

Old 02-29-2016, 04:05 AM
Fuse 13 and 14 is correct.
Your 04 Cayenne doesn't have the HPFP fitted. It was installed in the 4.8 litre versions.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:19 PM
I'm bring it in tommrow to a local shop, I'll keep you guys updated. Hopefully we can find the source!

Old 03-03-2016, 04:35 PM
So it was the fuel pump, from what the shop said. Replacing both so this doesn't happen again (Nock wood) Parts are ordered and should be coming in on monday. Install shouldn't take that long. So I guess I'm out of a truck till next week... LOL, worth it if it's fixed...

Old 03-04-2016, 04:43 AM
Good idea to be changing both.
Will give you another 100,000 miles trouble free.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:31 PM
So got the truck back a few hours ago, seams to drive nice. But they ran it out of fuel and it wouldn't start when I went to pick it up -__-. Drove fine home. Put gas from my fuel tank and it started poorly and shut down. Started it back up, ran fine. Restarted sounded like it was having trouble but it revved it self back up and ran fine. Going out soon to get more gas in it because the gas light is still on. We shall see how it runs after. I'm thinking the gas wasn't enough to get to the fuel pumps? Drove much better then it did before, no jerking or anything also no sound. So maybe the pumps need to be primed with gas? If that makes any sense. Idk I hope it works out after I get gas and drive it a bit. My shop told me that he took it down to the beach and it drove fine no problem.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:58 PM
This ****ing truck just cranks now,Not starting fulling. It shuts its self down. WTF?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:46 PM
So got more gas, in a gas tank. Still the ***** only cranks. Two brand new fuel pumps and this now? Must have not installed them right? Idk even know what the **** to think.

When I turn the key I don't need to keep holding it, it cranks by its self after one turn fully.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
Sounds like your kind of mad. LOL? I think you may need to take it back to the shop you had it worked on..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP CAYENNE Shut off when driving