997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tiptronic went dead until restart - Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 AM
997TT1911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tiptronic went dead until restart - Help!

Hello all, I have an 08 997tt cab tip.
only mods are Cobb stage 2 off the shelf 93 Oct and a Europipe EP1.

Driven it 150 miles or so since the mods and have done maybe 10 WOT runs, never without an issue. Hauls a$$ no problem and shifted smoothly.

last night I took a family member out for a spin. Sport mode on, manually shifted into first while rolling about 15mph. Pinned it and slammed the shifter to the right back into auto. When it went to shift to second, car just revved freely like it slipped into neutral.

I tried going back and forth and playing with the shift buttons but nothing happened. Luckily the road was dead and I pulled over and tried going from park to drive but drive just felt like neutral. Even on the dash it wouldn't show what gear on was in just like I was in neutral.

I put the car in park. Shut the car off, started it back up and voila it was back to normal. I tested it out a bit later and everything seemed totally fine.

anybody know what this is or why this happened ?

thanks all!

Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 AM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
Limp / safety mode, happened to me a couple times.

That's a small fault (reset by ignition), if you really stress out box it can only be reset by piwis.

My issue was tcu rpm shift point and engine shift point were incorrectly set.

Happened rarely though, on the drag strip once and once on the track.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by gofast
Limp / safety mode, happened to me a couple times.

That's a small fault (reset by ignition), if you really stress out box it can only be reset by piwis.

My issue was tcu rpm shift point and engine shift point were incorrectly set.

Happened rarely though, on the drag strip once and once on the track.
thank you for the quick response. Limp mode can't be tuned out through the cobb accessport I'm assuming?...on my GTR the accessport tuned the transmission as well so I figured the OTS maps would have done this to the tiptronics as well...

Old 05-29-2017, 01:56 AM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
Im not sure, as far as I am aware, the tcu is controlled separately and even when adjusting shift points the unit must be removed, its located below the passenger seat belt beside the seat under the carpet and pillar.

Tbh I wouldn't worry about it, its only happened to me a few times and I'm running over 700whp.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:27 AM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997TT1911
Hello all, I have an 08 997tt cab tip.
only mods are Cobb stage 2 off the shelf 93 Oct and a Europipe EP1.

Driven it 150 miles or so since the mods and have done maybe 10 WOT runs, never without an issue. Hauls a$$ no problem and shifted smoothly.

last night I took a family member out for a spin. Sport mode on, manually shifted into first while rolling about 15mph. Pinned it and slammed the shifter to the right back into auto. When it went to shift to second, car just revved freely like it slipped into neutral.

I tried going back and forth and playing with the shift buttons but nothing happened. Luckily the road was dead and I pulled over and tried going from park to drive but drive just felt like neutral. Even on the dash it wouldn't show what gear on was in just like I was in neutral.

I put the car in park. Shut the car off, started it back up and voila it was back to normal. I tested it out a bit later and everything seemed totally fine.

anybody know what this is or why this happened ?

thanks all!

Hello,

Usually happens because of different shift points in ECU vs TCU.

If you can tell which ECU version you have i can check the OTS map for you.

Regards,
Emre

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 05-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by gofast
Im not sure, as far as I am aware, the tcu is controlled separately and even when adjusting shift points the unit must be removed, its located below the passenger seat belt beside the seat under the carpet and pillar.

Tbh I wouldn't worry about it, its only happened to me a few times and I'm running over 700whp.
thank you very much for the honest advice. Good to know that the worst that could happen is I just need to restart it. Thing that scares me is if I'm on a highway on ramp and get stuck or rear ended. Maybe I should just load a stage 2 91 octane map instead of the 93 octane so that the power is turned down a little?

Originally Posted by Emre@Esmotor
Hello,

Usually happens because of different shift points in ECU vs TCU.

If you can tell which ECU version you have i can check the OTS map for you.

Regards,
Emre
emre, thank you...unfortunately my car has an aftermarket head unit so I don't know how else to figure out the ECU version. I am running the most current OTS map from cobb I believe since I just bought it brand new direct from cobb.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Muvaside is a jewel in the roughMuvaside is a jewel in the roughMuvaside is a jewel in the roughMuvaside is a jewel in the rough
thank you very much for the honest advice. Good to know that the worst that could happen is I just need to restart it. Thing that scares me is if I'm on a highway on ramp and get stuck or rear ended. Maybe I should just load a stage 2 91 octane map instead of the 93 octane so that the power is turned down a little?

emre, thank you...unfortunately my car has an aftermarket head unit so I don't know how else to figure out the ECU version. I am running the most current OTS map from cobb I believe since I just bought it brand new direct from cobb.
I don't want to spoil your party but the worst that can happen is blowing your torque converter and possibly transmission...I was lucky couple times that my trans went back to normal after restart but third time it would not go to any gear and was stuck in neutral. After my Indy shop took a look at it, my pump was out in the converter! Because I'm running more than 700whp, I ended up upgrading, building my trans and torque converter to handle 1000hp (6k$ upgrade). Just a heads up🙂

Old 05-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Muvaside
I don't want to spoil your party but the worst that can happen is blowing your torque converter and possibly transmission...I was lucky couple times that my trans went back to normal after restart but third time it would not go to any gear and was stuck in neutral. After my Indy shop took a look at it, my pump was out in the converter! Because I'm running more than 700whp, I ended up upgrading, building my trans and torque converter to handle 1000hp (6k$ upgrade). Just a heads up🙂
damn! I don't plan on building this car out like that. You think I should upload a 91 octane tune or the stage 1 to help protect the transmission? Sucks as I was hoping to just do exhaust and tune and enjoy the car as is. Already had a speed demon of a GTR and z06, been there done that with bigger power cars.

thanks

Old 05-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Muvaside is a jewel in the roughMuvaside is a jewel in the roughMuvaside is a jewel in the roughMuvaside is a jewel in the rough
You shoul be fine with stock turbos and race gas. It's when you convert to full e85 and bigger turbos is when you have to be carefull. E85 fuel is very violent however it will give you neck braking performance😎!

Old 05-30-2017, 04:23 PM
damn! I don't plan on building this car out like that. You think I should upload a 91 octane tune or the stage 1 to help protect the transmission? Sucks as I was hoping to just do exhaust and tune and enjoy the car as is. Already had a speed demon of a GTR and z06, been there done that with bigger power cars.

thanks
when I first got my car, I did exactly what you want to do. I put on a Fabspeed exhaust, Cobb tune and few other small things Y pipe, gt3 Tb, IPD plenum...etc. The car ran very different than stock and I couldn't be any happier from the performance!! Until that one gloomy day when I got my a** hand it to me from a evo where all hell broke loose😡. Bare in mind I hate losing and I loose sleep over it (call me crazy). Specially to a car that's worth 1/4 of what your car is worth. Next day my car ended up at my Indy shop for full transformation upgrade. I dropped 20k and still looking for that evo that beat me cause I know what his license plate read 🔥😡😤

Old 05-30-2017, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Muvaside
You shoul be fine with stock turbos and race gas. It's when you convert to full e85 and bigger turbos is when you have to be carefull. E85 fuel is very violent however it will give you neck braking performance😎!
thanks brother!
e85 is some bad stuff, no doubt. Had it in my GTR and it took the car to a different level. I'm just trying to chill in this car...for now...the mod bug is hard to kill lol

Old 06-01-2017, 07:25 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
OP - Did you have your traction control off?

IMHO, it is much more likely to occur when the tires brake lose in first, accompanied by a some tail wiggle. Over the course of five years that I owned a tip 997 turbo this happened once. Only mod to my car was exhaust; however, as we all have experienced...on cool day with sport on and all other things turned off the car will easily brake the tires lose from a roll once boost kicks in.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by PSTT07
OP - Did you have your traction control off?

IMHO, it is much more likely to occur when the tires brake lose in first, accompanied by a some tail wiggle. Over the course of five years that I owned a tip 997 turbo this happened once. Only mod to my car was exhaust; however, as we all have experienced...on cool day with sport on and all other things turned off the car will easily brake the tires lose from a roll once boost kicks in.
ok well I don't remember if I had tc on or off but the weather was pretty cool put and I was going around an uphill bend. With a high rpm full boost first gear roll it could have broken the tires loose for sure. This might be the reason honestly since it only happened this one time and I don't think I've done a first gear WOT run before or since then. Hopefully that was it and my torque converter isn't heading towards the junkyard.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.