996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

COBB tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up COBB tuning

Is mafless tune available with cobb? Launch control? Meth controller? Anybody with one of these maybe give a brief review as to the effectiveness? I’m thinking of doing it. Which tuners do you use? Thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Yes, I'm running a MAFless Cobb tune done by Sam @ Bydesign. Car works like normal. No issues.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
No LC

Old 11-15-2017, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems to be a better idea than just a reflag as I plan, in the very near future to get some bigger turbos Again.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
With a custom tune on the Accessport, it is certainly possible to go the route of bigger turbos and MAFless. Sam would certainly be a great tuner to get you squared away with that!

For LC and Meth, you would need separate controllers. For meth, you may want to look into Aquamist.

-Charles

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Will do, thanks

Old 11-17-2017, 08:55 AM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
Call Sam.. You won't be disappointed.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:00 AM
STK996T is an unknown quantity at this point
I am MAFless with a Cobb custom tune and bigger turbos and love it! Going with a Cobb was a no brainer for me personally.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:43 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
I run Cobb MAFless tune from Sam. Love it. Can't see going any other way.

Launch control/boost off the line was "in development" per conversation with Mitch a while back. Not heard anything else on it and I'm assuming we probably won't get it/not holding my breath. Hopefully I'm wrong.

In the meantime, I've got a 2-step that a friend gave to me that I've been playing with and it does help with launching and builds a couple psi. Total pain in the *** to install and get working right especially since I don't drag race, I wouldn't do it again. Supposedly has a no lift shift ability as well, and seems to work in testing it without actually shifting, I'm just afraid to actually attempt the no-lift shift on a stock gearbox and I know my stock clutch wouldn't hold it anyway.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:35 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
it shouldnt be that hard to develop. i had 2 step and no lift shifting 4 yrs ago from epl and that tune was likely one of the worst tunes i ever had. but the 2 step and nls was fun as can be!
I figured it would be easy to implement, just didn't get the response I hoped when I asked. Even offered to use my car as the test bed for it. Story of my life haha.

I've got the piggyback controller for it that works, just would've rather not gone that way. Ill eventually make it to the drag strip to see what the car would do with a road course setup, but with my main purpose being road course I was more excited for NLS. I've considered going ProEFI but my build is so mild (Relatively speaking) and the car runs so well on Cobb right now it is hard to make the jump.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:15 PM
talk to todd at protomotive. he also had both of those features yrs ago.maybe he can use the cobb to install it. may not be cheap but that man has forgotten more than most of the so called tuners on here ever knew. for dme tuning there isnt anyone better. srm moved away from the proefi in favor of the maxx ecu. robotic built harnesses for perfection assembly everytime and super easy tuning from sweden
Standalones (IMO) are such a huge investment of time, no matter how good the assembly is. It is more so a time sink in tuning and getting everything to run as it should than actual hardware install. I definitely don't wanna be a guinea pig on anything, but more options are always good. I've got a Motec ECU from a previous car in my shop, but it is such a daunting amount of work to get it dialed in to be as seamless as factory for all driving situations that I don't wanna cross that bridge yet. Plus not having a harness for the Motec is a big hold back. ProEFI seemed more viable to me because of the self-learning features, but again... just so much work when the car runs so good already.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Although it can be fun and it sounds exciting it’s really not that effective. A lot of tuners stance on it is that it’s not worth potentially harming hardware as it’s hard on everything. Especially depending on what turbo chargers and exhaust are on the car. Maybe on a really built car with open exhaust or something which is usually the case at that level. Brake boosting is useful and that’s there.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Although it can be fun and it sounds exciting it’s really not that effective. A lot of tuners stance on it is that it’s not worth potentially harming hardware as it’s hard on everything. Especially depending on what turbo chargers and exhaust are on the car. Maybe on a really built car with open exhaust or something which is usually the case at that level. Brake boosting is useful and that’s there.
True. The problem with brake boosting is can't do it on the line in a 6 speed car. My exhaust is catless and no mufflers. A couple psi out of the hole is better than coming out at vacuum and having a consistent rpm is one less thing to focus on. If I was more serious about drag racing it would be a bigger deal I guess. As I said earlier, I'm incredibly happy with your tune

I need to talk to you about some injectors and eventually a re-tune to compensate for that for my winter updates actually... I'm excited to push the K16s to the max...

Old 11-23-2017, 03:18 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Cobb Mafless here too. Tuned by Jon HEBBLN remotely. Cobb Tuning is the way to go!

Old 11-23-2017, 05:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
were is he located at? always nice to see another tuner that handles porsche turbos with good safe results.
Jon is one of the founders of Cobb I believe. I know he tunes professionally for IMSA, Pike Peak etc. He resides in Texas though but flies all over for tuning gigs. Dude can spot exact pinpoint location of a boost or vacuum leak from a Dyno run. Ridiculous skills.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.