Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Considering buying a new Vanquish - need some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM
gauntletfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering buying a new Vanquish - need some advice

Hello,

I'm considering buying an Aston Martin Vanquish S and had a few questions as I don't know much about the brand

I test drove two 2018 models this weekend.

- The first had about 5000 miles on it and was a press car or something but had some weird quirks.. first off it was SUPER quiet, like Prius quiet.. if you got the revs over 3-4000 it got a lot louder but never anything too crazy.. the dealer had no idea why it was so quiet.

- In the same car, I did an emergency stop at a red light and as I slammed down the brake pedal, it started stopping then accelerated me out through the red light.. I'm not kidding.. it accelerated with my foot on the brake. The dealer seemed to think the aggressive downshift pushed me forward but it was still unnerving.

- The second one I drove was brand new with only a few miles and it sounded great, and drove a lot better overall.

Here are some of my concerns though:

- The car is really expensive, considering the dated interior and electronics. That honestly seems super high for a car like this.. is there any wiggle room on the price in anyone's experience, especially as it's the last year?

- I'm reading that a new Vanquish is coming out later this year, what do you think will happen to the older models? will they become less desirable?

- If I got one, I would drive it a lot. Would I be in for a world of pain with repairs, upkeep etc..?

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2018, 03:06 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Press Car? I'd not trust the car was something other! I bought a used Aston 'Factory Certified' V12S which they conveniently lost ALL past records, claiming in a letter that it had been driven normally, which it was not. Run - do not walk away from a 'Aston owned' car. Used from an actual owner would be much safer. My Factory Certified car had many issues, some a blind person inspecting a car should have caught. In the end Aston traded the car for one I'm satisfied with.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:30 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
You beat me to it.

Press cars [if it was] get to do all the track day events when the "press" [and everybody the local dealer calls] can take it out on the track and have their way with it. Aren't you supposed to baby an engine for the first 2000 miles? Not "press" cars, demo's, they're thrashed from the time they're put into service. I would never recommend anybody buy one no matter how good the deal.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Yeah I never had any intention of buying the 'press car' but that is the one they use for test drives.. once I complained they got me into the new model.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:15 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
I can't speak directly as to the 2018 Vanquish S, but if buying from dealer stock you should have some wiggle room. FYI, I bought a 2014 Vantage out of dealer stock in September '14 and paid 20% under asking (and 30% under sticker). I was living in LA at the time and ended up buying from Penske in Scottsdale because I wanted a Vantage manual roadster. Excellent warranty service at Galpin btw.
And yes the Vanquish is very expensive and likely to depreciate, but what a car! Personally, I would wait for someone else to take the new car hit and pick up a nicely specced one in the secondary market, and maintain the warranty coverage for peace of mind. Marshall Goldman Motors had an amazing 2017 Vanquish in Cinnabar Orange with 1,100 miles and a lot of one off touches by Aston Q. The Brits on PistonHeads were put off by it but I thought it was one very cool Vanquish.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hedged
I can't speak directly as to the 2018 Vanquish S, but if buying from dealer stock you should have some wiggle room. FYI, I bought a 2014 Vantage out of dealer stock in September '14 and paid 20% under asking (and 30% under sticker). I was living in LA at the time and ended up buying from Penske in Scottsdale because I wanted a Vantage manual roadster. Excellent warranty service at Galpin btw.
And yes the Vanquish is very expensive and likely to depreciate, but what a car! Personally, I would wait for someone else to take the new car hit and pick up a nicely specced one in the secondary market, and maintain the warranty coverage for peace of mind. Marshall Goldman Motors had an amazing 2017 Vanquish in Cinnabar Orange with 1,100 miles and a lot of one off touches by Aston Q. The Brits on PistonHeads were put off by it but I thought it was one very cool Vanquish.
Nice, thanks. Yeah - I gave the dealership my “out the door” price I would do after taxes etc and they are going to get back to me. Good to know there is usually some wiggle room! I’ll update if it works out and I get one. Cheers

Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Are there any used Vanquish listed on Aston's "timeless" site?