Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Looking for tips/recommendations for storing DB9 outdoors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 AM
Chris P is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for tips/recommendations for storing DB9 outdoors

Hi all, I recently purchased a new home. Unfortunately it doesn't have a garage which was a major sticking point for me. In the end my wife won that argument but at least I get to keep my DB9. I'm considering having a garage built. But in the meantime my 06 Volante is in the driveway. I do have a cheap outdoor cover I bought for it off Amazon but I don't really feel like this offers good protection from the elements. I looked at the Aston outdoor cover but for $750 but it doesnt look any better than what I already have. Plus I can buy the outdoor car capsule for the same price. This looks like a pretty good option but I don't like the idea of plugging something in and leaving it running 24/7. Anyone have any tips or ideas? As a last resort i have considered selling it but only if it is really gonna kill it by leaving it outside. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:30 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I had an S2000 that never saw a garage for 4 years in New England weather. When I traded it in, the dealership thought it was garaged... Keep up with the Raggtopp or 303 for the convertible top and if you can at least have it somewhere shaded or shaded for part of the day also helps. Weekly washing and regular driving keep it up too. Not the end of the world in the short run. What's your ETA on a garage?

Can you rent a garage space if this isn't your primary car?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:35 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
I have the exact same dilemma. I bought a Connecticut house in November without a garage. I just ordered an outdoor cover from Cover Craft (i think that's the name). Looks to be very well made, out of Sunbrella fabric. I winter in Florida where I have a garage, so I hope for the best. I am a little creeped out leaving it outdoors where bugs and critters and neighbors can cause trouble.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I have a car collection problem so I'm constantly looking for new ways to store cars.

- Do you have land/space to build a covered car park? You don't necessarily need walls, just a roof
- Check your local craigslist for garages for rent. I've rented a 2 stall from a rental property.
- Shared garage rental is kind of a popular thing in bigger cities
- Move her outside, she got the house, you get the garage. I did this for a while but I made sure to clear the snow and ice off her car every day before I left for work.

I don't like outdoor covers. They still let water onto the car and then it sits there, dirty, rubbing against the car, ruining the finish until you can wash the car and the cover just to have it happen all over again.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:18 AM
There is a structure on my property that technically makes my property a 1 car detached garage setup. But the P.O. built it as a workshop so there is no garage door on it and it's located at the back of the property no where near the driveway. So we're considering different options either modifying the existing building or knocking it down and building a new one. Either way it won't be cheap or quick. Renting a storage unit isn' a bad idea either but it's another $200. a month just to put a roof over it and I'd rather have it where I can see it. But none the less still thinking about that too. Maybe just for the winter.

Since I'm on Long Island I can relate to our friend in CT. here. Winters can be rough as well as critters and teenagers. I'd love to do the snow bird thing and hang out in Florida from Dec. to March. I know several couples that do exactly that and one even has her car shipped down to FL for the winter. $1500. each way. Also seems like alot for a few months. Personally I'd just drive it down but that's just me.

Last edited by Chris P; 02-21-2018 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-21-2018, 10:24 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Honestly I think weather is least of your worries, I have buddies who have car collection problems and always have little critter problems with them chewing up various things in the engine bay. All it takes is 1 bored squirrel 1 night to get into some sort of electrical component

Some of them use these in their driveways during the non-winter months, usually winter months they store their vehicles in a rented space to protect form the elements

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/cat...QaAjBQEALw_wcB

Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lilseevs
Honestly I think weather is least of your worries, I have buddies who have car collection problems and always have little critter problems with them chewing up various things in the engine bay. All it takes is 1 bored squirrel 1 night to get into some sort of electrical component

Some of them use these in their driveways during the non-winter months, usually winter months they store their vehicles in a rented space to protect form the elements

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/cat...QaAjBQEALw_wcB

+1... Years ago when I sold my BMW 850 I told the eventual buyer I was selling it mainly because I didn't have a garage for it at the time and it was too nice to sit outside just covered. When I opened the hood for him there was a squirrel's nest and some chewed wires. Buyer totally bought my story... But I should have looked first!!! Cars that drive daily are not so much a problem... but anything that sits for a week or so could be. From my experience.

Try for the capsule!

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 02-21-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Yeah might do this:

https://www.carid.com/car-capsule/outdoor-bubble-car-cover-192-l-x-78-w-x-68-h-mpn-cco16f.html?view=894783&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIs AL0mqcyPfvi3fyJhU8jtLIdN_kuiUQrlGpuGCvo4y8W1M-eps6SE7n3KvIsaAn_REALw_wcB

Old 02-22-2018, 11:33 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Garage in a box

Originally Posted by Chris P
Hi all, I recently purchased a new home. Unfortunately it doesn't have a garage which was a major sticking point for me. In the end my wife won that argument but at least I get to keep my DB9. I'm considering having a garage built. But in the meantime my 06 Volante is in the driveway. I do have a cheap outdoor cover I bought for it off Amazon but I don't really feel like this offers good protection from the elements. I looked at the Aston outdoor cover but for $750 but it doesnt look any better than what I already have. Plus I can buy the outdoor car capsule for the same price. This looks like a pretty good option but I don't like the idea of plugging something in and leaving it running 24/7. Anyone have any tips or ideas? As a last resort i have considered selling it but only if it is really gonna kill it by leaving it outside. Thanks.
Take a look at Shelter Logic Garage in a box. They sell enclosed shelters made out of plastic tarp material. I put one over a swim spa and it has held up reasonably well. I have had mine about five years and just started getting some small holes in the roof. They sell replacement panels so I will pick up a new roof in the next year. Will definitely last a couple years until you get your garage built or figure out a long term solution. I put mine up by myself, no special tools required, put it on a concrete pad and anchored it with concrete blocks. They have a bunch of different options as far as sizes and styles, but for less than $500 you are enclosed. Far better than just a car cover.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 AM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
To keep out the squirrels and other rodents, I would get an ultrasonic rodent repeller and put it under the car. Or get two and put one under the car and one under the hood if you are really worried about it.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Drive the car daily should scare off pests. Never had a pest nest inside my cars that were 100% outside stored.

Mint oil on a cotton ball is supposed to ward off critters. I did this when storing an XK and Evora through the winter. Did not get any unwelcome guests, but don't know if the the mint oil played a part.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Drive the car daily should scare off pests. Never had a pest nest inside my cars that were 100% outside stored.

Mint oil on a cotton ball is supposed to ward off critters. I did this when storing an XK and Evora through the winter. Did not get any unwelcome guests, but don't know if the the mint oil played a part.
I'm really curious how many owners in the North East daily drive their Astons even in winter. I would honestly love to, but the thought of salt corrosion eating at every metal part just makes me think of evaporating dollar signs.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Chris P
I'm really curious how many owners in the North East daily drive their Astons even in winter. I would honestly love to, but the thought of salt corrosion eating at every metal part just makes me think of evaporating dollar signs.

You'd be surprised how many do. My dealer has a few sets of Vantage snow tires and wheels in stock. They told me several DB11 owners they sold cars to are putting snows on as they like driving the car too much to store.

I just bought snow wheels for my Rapide. If you wash your car in the winter, the salt can be mitigated by a large degree and I don't plan to own any once car for a lifetime.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I had this problem with a Porsche I needed to keep outside in the NE for 4 years. I used to travel overseas a lot, and most of the cars there are always outside, and they are just fine. We Americas are sometime over the top with perfection (me included).

Car covers are OK, but not for daily drivers, imo. If storing it for a month or so, its fine, especially when it is secured properly, it does get windy and will scratch the paint when it rubs if not tight at all times. Plus it gets dirty underneath from the rain, and then a mess to take off when it freezes.

If was me, I would keep it well waxed, make sure there are no trees nearby that could blow branches near the car, or worse.. Could clear film the whole car to protect the paint, but if waxed and washed properly, you'll be fine. Congrats with your new home.

Back to by black 911 without the garage, got used to it outside and used for 4 seasons. Snow tires in winter. Then, spring and summer, it looked fine and even won local concours awards.

Last edited by mto; 02-23-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 AM
Just thought I'd follow up on this. I had my car covered for the last 2 months with an aftermarket DB9 cover. The fitting wasn't the best and unfortunately some sand and debris blew under the cover in high winds and caused some minor scuffing in parts of the clear coat. I'm pretty good with a wheel so I was able to get out 90% of it. I'm done with covers and decided to go a different route for now and picked up the car capsule. It's not cheap but cheaper than the AM exterior cover and its 100% enclosed. Heres a few pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for tips/recommendations for storing DB9 outdoors