Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Igntional Coil Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 03:41 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Igntional Coil Replacement

Hey all,

2 weeks in a row after a heavy rain I have dealt with a rough idle and each time the check engine light came on. I cleared the codes once it didn't rain for a week then today here in Pittsburgh we got hit with a monsoon and again the CEL came on.

Codes were as follows...

P1362
P1361
P0133 02 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1363
P1372

I am being told it looks like bad ignition coils and my '11 Cayenne S just hit 74k miles. What is your average cost of replacement of all 8 coils? Does 800 bucks sound about right from the dealership?

Thanks!

T.J.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 AM
DrBillyD is an unknown quantity at this point
From Pelican, OEM coils are about $50/each so if you did it yourself, it'd be about $400 in parts. Factor in dealer markup for the parts and labor, and $800 from a dealer is about what I'd expect.

If you're even a little bit handy, coil and spark plug replacement isn't that bad on a 958. You'll need a torx socket (E12, IIRC) and some extensions/articulations. There are helpful guides on DIY sections of rennlist and maybe here for all I know.

Be careful with bolts that hold coils to cylinder heads as they're aluminum so if you drop one in the engine bay, a magnet won't help you and they snap off very easily with minimal torque (ask me how I know....).

Old 10-09-2018, 08:58 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DrBillyD
From Pelican, OEM coils are about $50/each so if you did it yourself, it'd be about $400 in parts. Factor in dealer markup for the parts and labor, and $800 from a dealer is about what I'd expect.

If you're even a little bit handy, coil and spark plug replacement isn't that bad on a 958. You'll need a torx socket (E12, IIRC) and some extensions/articulations. There are helpful guides on DIY sections of rennlist and maybe here for all I know.

Be careful with bolts that hold coils to cylinder heads as they're aluminum so if you drop one in the engine bay, a magnet won't help you and they snap off very easily with minimal torque (ask me how I know....).
Those little aluminum bolts are supposed to be one-time-use according to Porsche.. but I know that dealers reuse them. Tighten them just snug, and then let the screw holding the beauty cover down lock them in place.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Thanks fellas. She goes in the shop tomorrow I am HOPING that is the cause of the rough idle issue. I'll report back after my trip!

Old 10-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Just an update the coils were not bad and that is the bad news. Porsche went ahead and replaced the 74371 Cel Bank 1 Valve Control Solenoid for the rough idle issue. Test drove for a while and no codes. I get in my car make it 3/4 of a mile down the road and the CEL comes back on with the same damn codes. The next day I take it back to Porsche and the car is awaiting a new diagnosis.

What happens when you usually pay for a part that wasn't needed at the dealership? Am I screwed out of my 600 plus dollars for this? I wanted to ask you all before I asked the dealership. Thanks.

UPDATE: The wrong solenoid was replaced in my Cayenne. Porsche realized the problem, owned up to it and fixed it without any addition cost. My local Porsche dealership is always 5 star. My Cayenne is now running like a brand new one and I am a happy camper on this Friday afternoon.

Last edited by TJtheDJ; 10-19-2018 at 02:08 PM.