Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

ECU vs EVOMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
gasmanavo is on a distinguished road
ECU vs EVOMS

I am getting a 2013 CTT and want to add some hp and torque. Which is the better system to get, ECU or EVOMS? I have both available in my area. Is ECU GIAC? Please explain the difference? Will either effect my warranty.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Panguard is on a distinguished road
EVOMS uses a piggyback (external hardware) to make power.

GIAC is a proper full-recalibration flash for the ECU/DME.

Check out AWE's page for their comparison for "a" piggyback vs. the GIAC flash. It's a Panamera, but it's got the same engine and will yield same results with the Cayenne TT (in terms of difference in power).

http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/p...era-turbo.html

They're both the same price but after reading the page that I posted above, make your own decision.

Also keep in mind that there are many Porsche dealerships choose GIAC as their primary tuner that they get to flash in-house. You're in South Florida right? Champion Motorsport will be more than happy to help you. After all, they ARE the biggest Porsche dealer in the world. Though, if I recall correctly, your ECU will need to be sent out to GIAC for flashing.

G.I.A.C. versus the piggyback module

We had the opportunity to pit G.I.A.C. Software against a main stream, highly popular piggyback module. The results are worth a read. As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions at all.

The car

Multiple tests were conducted on a 2010 Panamera Turbo w/Sport Chrono Package. AWE Tuning Track Edition Exhaust. 93 octane pump fuel. And just so this isn’t only about power… the car also had 22” ADV.1 wheels.

How it works

A piggyback module is able to produce power increases by bypassing the factory DME. Let’s take a closer look at what this means: In order to make the factory DME increase boost output, the piggyback module intercepts the boost signal going to the DME and makes it look lower than it actually is. The factory DME then increases boost output in an attempt to compensate for the “under boost” condition it is sensing. However, because the DME never sees the true boost amount going to the engine, and only an artificially lower value, the DME modes designed to protect the engine in the case of an abnormal overboost condition are rendered useless.

Since piggyback modules alter the sensor voltage outputs going to the DME by use of resistors, complete 3D map recalibration/reshaping impossible. Things like air/fuel ratio and boost can only be rescaled, they cannot be re-curved. Re-curving is especially critical on the Panamera Turbo as it has a boost related Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) protection dip, richening the air/fuel ratio (AFR) only at high rpms. If the piggyback module is programmed to richen the AFR, in addition to increasing boost, it does so linearly throughout the entire power band, including at high rpms, and consequently the AFR becomes excessively rich as the rpms climb. Conversely, if the piggyback module does not address AFR, then AFR becomes dangerously lean at high rpms as the DME never enters the EGT protection mode, since it is receiving an artificially low boost signal due to the piggyback module manipulation. Additionally, ignition timing maps are not directly adjustable when using a piggyback module, and fuel injector duty cycles, and High Pressure Fuel Pump duty cycles are at the mercy of what the DME can accommodate based on the manipulated sensor signals it receives.

In contrast: G.I.A.C. programs the DME directly, ensuring all systems will function as the factory intended. The G.I.A.C. Software has a clear performance advantage due to the fact that boost, AFR, and ignition maps are individually reshaped, while all protection systems are left intact.

For the record, relative reliability evidence has been anecdotal, found in the public domain and not studied in a controlled environment . We recommend that you do your own research on reliability before making the decision to modify your Panamera.

The outcome

You can make power with the piggyback module. You can make much more power with G.I.A.C. software.

The horsepower advantage

Piggyback module: 568HP/490WHP over the stock 508HP/438WHP
Giving you 60HP/52WHP over stock.
G.I.A.C. Software: 614HP/529WHP over the stock 508HP/438WHP
Giving you 106HP/91WHP over stock, and 46HP/39WHP over the piggyback module.
The torque advantage

Piggyback module: 582TQ/502WTQ over the stock 546TQ/471WTQ
Giving you 36TQ/31WTQ over stock.
G.I.A.C. Software: 604TQ/521WTQ over the stock 546TQ/471WTQ
Giving you 58TQ/50WTQ over stock, and 22TQ/19WTQ over the piggyback module.
Below are the dyno sheets of the G.I.A.C. Software versus the piggyback module

G.I.A.C. Software has produced

Power to the crank

106HP over stock, and 46HP over the piggyback module along with 58TQ over stock, and 22TQ over the piggyback module.
Power to the wheels

91WHP over stock, and 39WHP over the piggyback module along with 50WTQ over stock, and 19WTQ over the piggyback module.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 AM
gasmanavo is on a distinguished road
Great answer. It's really clear now. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Make sure you look into some bypass pipes for your secondary cats. That alone will give you an additional 30hp, will speed up turbo spool, and give a better V8 rumble.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 PM
hoovdini is on a distinguished road
I thought it's already been established that secondary cat bypass pipes on CTT's actually lose power, not gain it? Also, how about a review or synonym comparison between a GIAC flash and an EVOMS flash (non piggyback unit)? Of course a proper flash is going to outperform a piggyback solution...but let's compare apples to apples, shall we?

Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 AM
littodevil is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by hoovdini
I thought it's already been established that secondary cat bypass pipes on CTT's actually lose power, not gain it? Also, how about a review or synonym comparison between a GIAC flash and an EVOMS flash (non piggyback unit)? Of course a proper flash is going to outperform a piggyback solution...but let's compare apples to apples, shall we?
Wouldn't apples to apples be.. a GIAC flash with another ECU remap and... EVOMS with another piggyback unit?

EVOMS is a piggyback unit from what I understand.

Well I think the only people that can actually be able to have a review is a owner that has spend the time and money to get both.. which is rare or a supplier or distributor that has a CTT in stock from a customer to do both.. Not easy but maybe if we're lucky we'll come across a review like that ..

Do you have a link or something about the power being lost when getting rid of the second cat? I'm curious since.. it seems like your making the turbos breathe easier. I tried searching to no avail ..

Larry

Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 AM
EVOMS offers a reflash as well, that's what I meant by a fair comparison. I'm having it done on Tuesday @ sharkwerks.

See here for bypass pipes: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...-bypass-pipes/

Like many others here, I'm wary of any performance gains without a solid looking dyno sheet showing before and after numbers. I can't find a single example of this proving power gains, for any manufacturer. If you've seen one, now's the time to post a link, people!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM
From the above posts from AWE:

G.I.A.C. Software: 614HP/529WHP over the stock 508HP/438WHP
Giving you 106HP/91WHP over stock.

From in a post from GIAC themselves: Stage 1 programming showed gains of 51 hp & 63 ft lbs of torque at the wheels with the factory intercoolers and exhaust, on 93 octane fuel. Estimated crank horsepower and torque gains are 61 hp and 77 ft. /lbs. Link is here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...available.html

So which one is it? Apparently the same GIAC flash, same engine, but almost 2x the power is claimed by AWE? Something is fishy here....why would GIAC claim less power gain if it was really as much as AWE claims?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
joefadams is on a distinguished road
Great thread

Thanks for the info

Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 AM
ammar.malik is on a distinguished road
po234 - 11 cayenne Turbo.

hello, my 2011 Cayenne turbo has the symptoms described above. and has the overboost error code but only when the vehicle is started. It drives fine, though when initially started it’s a tiny bit rough, but the rpm is very steady. The owner before me was a very big enthusiastic he paid MSRP of 142k for it and always dealer maintained it. I am wondering if a software tune is giving a over boost msg. Is if dangerous go drive it every day? How can I fix it?
What do I tell my Mecanic or dealer to look for?

does some onboard computer heed to reset. What kind of labor am I looking for the two scenarios