Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Replace wheels at dealership?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 01:40 AM
aarongobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace wheels at dealership?

I have a 2012 cayenne base and need new tires. Really happy with the current rims. Would anyone recommend against going to my local discount tire shop to get a new set of tires? I obviously want the psi monitors to be installed correctly but I'm wondering if this is worth doing at a dealership? Any data points on the cost to mount four tires? Appreciate your wisdom!

Old 04-03-2018, 09:09 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Where are you located? In the past I’ve tried to do business with th dealership when possible, specifically if the price were similar to a discount chain tire shop. When it is not similar I have used Discount tire in Dallas to mount new wheels and also for my tire needs without any issues at the best prices around. Here in the northeast Town Fair tire has been fine too for the best prices.

Another thought is your dealer depending on where you are located Kay be a tire rack dealer, meaning you can buy online and have them drop shipped for install at your dealer.

If the dealer is more expansive go elsewhere.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Tom M will become famous soon enoughTom M will become famous soon enough
When I needed new tires a while back I got them at a local Discount Tire shop. The install went fine and they had the best price of the tires I was installing. I also just had new TPMS sensors I purchased installed by them for $40 and that included a tire rotation and re-balance.

I've also done tires at a dealer that would work with me on the price but where I am now that's definitely not an option.

As noted, shop around. However there's no reason to pay a premium for the dealer to do the work if you've got a decent independent shop nearby.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:36 PM
quickster2 is an unknown quantity at this point
My local Discount tire shop did fine with wheels on the Porsche and my friends Corvette. Get them road force balanced and you will be good to go. The Manager typically does these types of cars at the local store.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:30 PM
porscheconvert is on a distinguished road
Shameless plug warning: Or...for about the same price as a new set of tires ($750), you can get new tires and a back up set of oem wheels!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...le-1850-a.html

Side note, no tpms included in this price. For 40 a wheel, NTB can install your old tpms on these.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:38 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Many dealerships will match price on tires with the discounters. They don't like seeing that money walking out the door. They also are skilled in working with expensive wide rims, and have up to date balancing equipment. Get a price from the discounter and go talk to your dealer.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:16 AM
ronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud of
What Don said. Boston area is very competitive so my dealer can work with its customers.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
DT prices are good and some of them have road force machines, if you have larger wheels, just make sure to check your wheels and tell them to be careful, they F***up my 22" RRS wheels when dismounting the wheels, the clamps scratched the interior of the wheels, if you have time and can pay a little more dealer go to your local dealer.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 AM
aarongobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Ended up shopping around for the Scorpion Verde A/S plus 19" -- thought I'd share for others that are looking (includes 10% sales tax):

Discount Tire started at ~$1k online
Dealer ~$1.3k

Went to discount and got the certificates added for $1k total, plus they had some rebates, so just had them do it... couldn't justify $500 for such an easy job

Old 10-29-2018, 10:39 AM
mep1811 is on a distinguished road
I've purchased my last two sets of tires from Discount Tire. They have the best road hazard coverage and free rotations.

​​​​​​

Old 10-29-2018, 03:31 PM
Boostaddiction is on a distinguished road
I found that at least some dealers are competitive with tire prices. While on a trip near Nashville, Porsche of Nashville was able to provide- on short notice, and on a weekend- two Porsche-spec 21" tires, and at competitive pricing. I was happy with the entire experience.

I don't think my local dealers are as accommodating, though.

The lesson is to give your dealer a chance before you assume they are applying the Porsche tax to everything they sell,