Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Curse of New iPhone or Android? No Audio Sound!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:46 AM
dynamic101 will become famous soon enoughdynamic101 will become famous soon enough
Question Curse of New iPhone or Android? No Audio Sound!

I was excited to have a new iPhone XS Max over the weekend. However, I found that the audio system of my 2012 Cayenne was dead as soon as I connected the new iPhone XS to my Cayenne!
It should be a coincidence but I want to believe that it's the curse of iPhone since I have been an Android Fanboy for almost a decade. Or it might be a curse of Google's Android (e.g., old girlfriend?) since I betrayed her by switching to Apple!

The entire system including Radio (AM, FM), Bluetooth, GPS, etc. is working perfectly except SOUND.

NO SOUND AT ALL....

I checked the fuse for "PCM 3 - Radio" in the fuse box at the right dashboard but it looked fine.

I am wondering which option would be the best:

1. Upgrade the entire audio system including Apple Carplay - a local expert
2. Replace the BOSE Amplifier in the rear passenger side of the trunk - DIY
3. Visit one of the Porsche Stealerships - the last resort!

"No sound" is not fun since I can't even use a handsfree call!

Any recommendation would be highly appreciated. (including how to remove the Curse from Google and/or Apple).

Happy Halloween!

Thank you

Last edited by dynamic101; 10-29-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:02 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Assuming you have a 958 -

#1 - impossible. You can add an android module to the existing PCM3.1 - but it's intimately linked into many functions of the vehicle so replacement isn't feasable.
#2 - Why? How certain are you that's the problem? If you're going to troubleshoot by replacing parts it's gonna get mighty expensive rather quickly. There is more than 1 fuse involved (although I doubt that's the issue..)
#3 - By calling them a "Stealership" - I can tell this isn't going to be a mutually pleasant experience - so I'd suggest that you not consider that.

I don't know the magic reboot for the PCM3.1 - but if you had a Porsche capable diagnostics tool you probably can reset whatever went wrong. My WAG - the PCM thinks it want's to talk to the iphone - and is waiting for it to connect or something. Or thinks it is connected and on a call. Or something weird and apple-like. Maybe if you talk very nicely to a Service Adviser at the dealership they might be able to help you out - they're probably pretty familiar setting up PCM's to talk to iphones.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:25 AM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
I have a 2011 Cayenne S and recently purchased the iPhone XS Max and it works perfectly connected our via Bluetooth. I had absolutely no issues connecting it to my PCM after deleting my old iPhone 6S Plus from it. Make sure your Cayenne is NOT still looking for your old phone.