Dealership to Dealership Sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Bluesilv is on a distinguished road
Dealership to Dealership Sale

Hello All

Currently own a Porsche Cayman and I decided to upgrade to a 991.

I am finishing up a 3 month business trip and heading back to Cali soon but looking over the inventory there I can't really find one I like. I looked over the cars across the country and found a couple that have interested me.

When I head back I was thinking of going to my local dealer and going through them to get a car I like from another state. Having never done this I was wondering if anybody could answer my questions?

If I do that will I still be able to get a decent discount?

Let's say I do sign all the paperwork and the car gets damaged in transit is there no recourse for me?

Also is it better just to work with the dealer in another state and have them ship it for me and I take care of the paperwork when it gets to Cali?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
if you find something outta state that you'd buy then why not fly there, do the deal and make a roadtrip outta the return home ? couldn't add more than 3000 miles and that could be the break-in (if buying new).. tho shipping is safe (almost always) if you're concerned, drive it home yourself

one thing to look for is the sales tax obligation for buying outta state (vs buying in Kalif)(I screwed up buying in Az and living in Tx - cost me almost 4% additional)

Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
The dealers involved should be able to easily make a swap of cars for you. this is done on a regular basis between dealers.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 19hole
The dealers involved should be able to easily make a swap of cars for you. this is done on a regular basis between dealers.
100% agreed.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 19hole
Bingo. Although I think it is also fine to work with the non-local dealer directly, as well. There are some reputable transport companies who specialize in high-end luxury autos that do a nice job. Either dealer should have some good suggestions for you regarding transport.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Bluesilv
Hello All

I am finishing up a 3 month business trip and heading back to Cali soon but looking over the inventory there I can't really find one I like. I looked over the cars across the country and found a couple that have interested me.

When I head back I was thinking of going to my local dealer and going through them to get a car I like from another state. Having never done this I was wondering if anybody could answer my questions?

Let's say I do sign all the paperwork and the car gets damaged in transit is there no recourse for me?

Also is it better just to work with the dealer in another state and have them ship it for me and I take care of the paperwork when it gets to Cali?

Thanks in advance
just bc you see on the inventory it doesn't mean it's for sale. some you see there have been ordered by customers. you should check with the sales ppl if the one you like is available for sale.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bluesilv
Hello All

Thanks in advance
Are you trading in the Cayman?

I agree your dealer should be able to facilitate a swap with another dealer......and I think its better whenever you can continue a relationship with your local dealer, which it seems you may already have.

Don't forget you can always order exactly what you want

Old 06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
Sure dealers swap cars...if they have the inventory. Call where ever to negotiate your best deal and get it from them. Closed transport is the safest and you can't get out of paying taxes.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Bluesilv is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replies

I'll get back Friday and Saturday I'll head into my local dealer.

If a trade can't be work out with the other dealers, which are in Nashville and Florida, or I don't like the costs associated with the sale I'll think about custom ordering one. I just didn't want to wait 2 months or more for my 991

To the member who sent the pm I can't pm back since my post count is low. Can you PM me your email.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 AM
7SPEED991 is on a distinguished road
Think about what you would rather do, buy locally or possibly travel to get a better discount. I can assure you if a dealer gets activity on a car they will not trade it unless the competing dealer has a car that will make a deal for them which isn't always the case. good luck

Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
If money is not an issue, find the one you want and buy it- even the demos that are currently available. If money is a priority, but you have a little time and patience, order it, get exactly what you want and save some money.

ChuckJ

Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Poults is on a distinguished road
If you are willing to wait a little bit then you might want to talk to you local dealer to see if they will swap a car for a close build slot. That is what I did....I specd a car and agreed on price....and told them that I would do it if they can get me a production date of X....they got on the horn and found a high volume dealer willing to give up a build slot for a Porsche my dealer had on the lot....they made the swap and ordered my car for me. This way you get what you want, from your local dealer and don't have to wait the normal waiting time.