The Hunt for Cabin Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 02:52 PM
New991S is on a distinguished road
The Hunt for Cabin Noise

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I will ever get to the end of this - after multiple trips to the dealership, I still have cabin rattle noise.

Now, it seems to come from the driver's sun visor. If I push on it, the noise goes away and then back later. On inspection, nothing seems to be loose with the visor other than the normal play. If I flip it to the down position, no problem at all.

Anyone has the same problem? Would rather solve it myself as the dealership has not been that helpful.

Thx

Old 08-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
My noise is coming from the headliner behind the sunroof, same thing though I push on it and it goes away for a whole but comes back.

Good luck with the dealer, here in Phoenix they tell me where the rattle is, what's causing it, but never try to fix it... Hope you get better results.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:49 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Somewhere in the owner's manual it says, "this is a sports car. It's gonna rattle." But not quite as succinctly.

Some dealership mechanics are better than others at tracking down and fixing rattles. My last attempt, they couldn't hear it and didn't have the time to pursue it (I dropped in sans appointment).

Old 08-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
I hardly consider my 991 a sports car. It might as well be a Lexus that turns better.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:35 AM
New991S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by beemer guy
Somewhere in the owner's manual it says, "this is a sports car. It's gonna rattle." But not quite as succinctly.

Some dealership mechanics are better than others at tracking down and fixing rattles. My last attempt, they couldn't hear it and didn't have the time to pursue it (I dropped in sans appointment).
Well - I'm not sure that I would accept a $100K+ car that rattle. Yes, it is a sport car. If I want an inferior product, I would pay much less for something like a Scion.

I pay premium for a product and expect it to perform like one.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:16 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
I wrote:

Originally Posted by New991S
Well - I'm not sure that I would accept a $100K+ car that rattle. Yes, it is a sport car. If I want an inferior product, I would pay much less for something like a Scion.

I pay premium for a product and expect it to perform like one.
Hey, I'm with you brother. I didn't say it was right, I was just sharing what I remember reading. I also remember reading in the manual that you shouldn't take your $100K+ car on the racetrack either, because it's not designed for that. Huh?

No, I agree that the car shouldn't rattle, and it should be able to survive a weekend at the track. Which is partly why I sold mine after a year. The whole experience was a major disappointment. And it was my fifth 911.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:03 PM
beaverlake is on a distinguished road
I've had a number of rattles and buzzes in my C2s cab. The dealer has tracked down all but one and the remaining noise is very intermittent and depends on the road surface. I did have one noise that was traced to headliner clips. Interestingly - between yesterday and today I spent about 8 hours detailing the car and I discovered an ocean of felt tape pieces in all kinds of places. I'm not exaggerating if I estimate 40+ "tabs" both under the frunk hood, behind the windscreen bar, etc. Perhaps the quest for light weight is inconsistent not only with sound proofing materials but also with rigid panels and solid connections. In any case, while I love spirited driving and what Porsche brings to the performance table, an MB SL550 has crossed my mind more than once as a performance GT cab (with an older Boxster on the side for PCA club events and just horsing around). Our 981 Boxster S and this 991 C2s are two of the noisiest rattle/buzz cars I've owned. The dealer stuck with me and got all the BS noises and all but the last 991 buzzes but it is very frustrating given the level of performance engineering and purchase price.

Last edited by beaverlake; 08-27-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
what drives me crazy are the seat belt covers on the B pillars.....they buzz....I seem to recall a fix mentioned on this board but I can't find it

Old 08-31-2015, 05:22 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
I know felt can be your best friend when trying to pin down noises in a car. I'd try putting in different places to see of it gets rid of the noise.

As far as rattles in a car I used to get myself crazy over every single noise a car made and my obsessiveness really took away from my enjoyment of the car. Finally one day stopped listening for noises.

I don't know if it is possible to get rid of all of the noises cars make plus with all of the sound deafening materials now used on new cars they have made them so quiet inside that the little tiny noises can be heard instead of covered up like the olden days.