996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone have experience with the Alpine iLX-W650

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:31 PM
wab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud of
Anyone have experience with the Alpine iLX-W650

Who’s running this head unit? What are your opinions?
Likes/dislikes?
thanks,
BB

Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Rvpps2rocks is on a distinguished road
I have the ilx 207 and love it. Super responsive compared to any other head unit I've owned. I'd presume this is similar

Old 05-18-2019, 09:17 PM
wab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rvpps2rocks
I have the ilx 207 and love it. Super responsive compared to any other head unit I've owned. I'd presume this is similar
Thank you for the feedback.
BB

Old 05-18-2019, 09:23 PM
slowlude22 will become famous soon enough
I have a similar model. The ILX007. The Apple CarPlay one. The shallow mounting depth meant for an easy install with the metra kit. It’s got everything you would need.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by slowlude22
I have a similar model. The ILX007. The Apple CarPlay one. The shallow mounting depth meant for an easy install with the metra kit. It’s got everything you would need.
Thats what I wanted to see.
thanks,
BB

Old 06-22-2019, 11:06 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
Installed the iLX-W650 this week. Relatively straight forward on my 2001.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:16 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Good looking unit, i've been needing to change my headunit. Any of you guys have the factory DSP? What did you do with it?

Old 06-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
Good looking unit, i've been needing to change my headunit. Any of you guys have the factory DSP? What did you do with it?
No DSP in mine.
BB

Old 06-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
The DSP needs to be plugged in for the factory amps and speakers to get signal. This was clear in the instructions, I tried it to make sure - confirmed.

I tucked in the DSP behind the head unit so I could retain the storage bin. There is tons of room in there with the W650.

If you are considering the unit, I recommend purchasing the parking brake bypass.

Also , running the mic to the headliner is best handled by proper plastic some interior removal tools.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:43 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sourcerock
The DSP needs to be plugged in for the factory amps and speakers to get signal. This was clear in the instructions, I tried it to make sure - confirmed.

I tucked in the DSP behind the head unit so I could retain the storage bin. There is tons of room in there with the W650.

If you are considering the unit, I recommend purchasing the parking brake bypass.

Also , running the mic to the headliner is best handled by proper plastic some interior removal tools.

excuse my ignorance, what's a parking brake bypass? How well does the mic work? People able to hear you, etc?

Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
excuse my ignorance, what's a parking brake bypass? How well does the mic work? People able to hear you, etc?
I learned during the install that there is a braking brake line coming from the 650. Turns out the head unit needs a signal from the parking brake to activate certain connectivity functions. This appears to be a alpine safety feature. With some research found a simple aftermarket bypass that eliminates the need for the parking brake signal -$20.

The Mic is very good.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:11 AM
solid! thanks!

Old 06-27-2019, 11:46 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I learned during the install that there is a braking brake line coming from the 650. Turns out the head unit needs a signal from the parking brake to activate certain connectivity functions. This appears to be a alpine safety feature. With some research found a simple aftermarket bypass that eliminates the need for the parking brake signal -$20.
Any new head unit with navigation is required to have this. Some functions are only available when you are stopped (with the parking brake engaged). I have tried to just lift the brake far enough to turn on the brake light, but since the system has nav, it is smart enough to know I was still moving and told me I have a parking brake failure instead. So, not so easy to get around.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:36 AM
Rvpps2rocks is on a distinguished road

I found the built in mic was clearer to the end user than the external mic

Old 08-03-2019, 12:06 PM
jsimon77 is on a distinguished road
I just installed the Pioneer avh-w4500nex last week in my ‘04 and so far super happy with it.

I had had an older (4 year old) pioneer unit with nav avic-z140BH that I took out. It was perfect but really wanted wireless carplay. I use Waze as my nav 99.9% of the time anyway.

Good luck all.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-03-2019 at 02:56 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the Alpine iLX-W650