Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Finally taking the Aston Martin plunge, Advice or Input is appreciated !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:44 AM
Intrazel is an unknown quantity at this point
Finally taking the Aston Martin plunge, Advice or Input is appreciated !!

So I've been lurking all over on this forum and PistonHeads for the last two weeks since I totaled my Viper-ACR. I first fell in love with Aston Martin's when I saw the Vanquish in a Magazine and I was awe struck, this was about 20 years ago !! As most would agree the Vanquish is still just as beautiful and I would love to own one but I can't afford the Vanquish right now as the values of those cars really shot up, but I can afford the DB9 which is a beauty. From what I was able to ascertain and correct me if I'm wrong but the ticking was from oil starvation for early production 2005's, if the oil level was maintained the engine should be solid.

Are their any other issues I should look for with this 2005 ?

Is this a good buy and priced right ?
https://www.teamonemotorcars.com/200...-30067/6634152
I can't get KBB to give me values for 2005-2009 DB9's

Any help or info is appreciated, Cheers !
-Justin

Old 06-18-2019, 07:12 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Intrazel
Is this a good buy and priced right ?
https://www.teamonemotorcars.com/200...-30067/6634152
I can't get KBB to give me values for 2005-2009 DB9's

Any help or info is appreciated, Cheers !
-Justin
How much less expensive do you want a DB9 to get?

Old 06-18-2019, 07:18 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
The cause of the damage that results in ticking is unknown. Low oil results in an engine failure. If you want an engine that doesn't tick, then you need to listen to it when hot, or have the seller guarantee that it doesn't when hot. Ticking affects v12 engines at least up to around 2008, maybe later, so at least 8 years worth of production.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:08 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Nadaguide.com

I would be looking for quality instead of price. That's on the low side of the market.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:37 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The wood looks in great shape - seems to have been garaged - no sun damage - but I'd ask for more pictures of anywhere there is leather wear and under hood picts.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:59 AM
Ozzir is on a distinguished road
What year ACR did you have? Any reason for wanting the DB9 instead of the Vantage? You are going to miss the Viper torque and power that's for sure. Also being used to the manual in the Viper Id think you would prefer the manual in the Aston? Ive had 3 Vipers. Amazing cars. I still miss having one in the stable. Some day.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:10 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
That is a LOT of car for the money. I'd think its worth a look in person for sure.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:32 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Looks to be a good value. I'd opt for a 09 or later if I were in the market. BTW- Virages are somewhat under appreciated and often offered at a good value. Good luck

Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzir
What year ACR did you have? Any reason for wanting the DB9 instead of the Vantage? You are going to miss the Viper torque and power that's for sure. Also being used to the manual in the Viper Id think you would prefer the manual in the Aston? Ive had 3 Vipers. Amazing cars. I still miss having one in the stable. Some day.
2001 ACR, Frankly I'm a bit tired of shifting in every car I own, I like the V12 VantageS, but they are a bit pricey,I love the VanquishS but they are a bit pricey, I already have a 96-993 TurboS, Saleen S7, Maserati Quattroporte GTS, BMW Z4 (wifes), and a Saleen XP8, I need the Grand Touring experience, and yes the Viper will be surely missed, I would stare at that beautiful snake every day!

Originally Posted by Prefurbia
The wood looks in great shape - seems to have been garaged - no sun damage - but I'd ask for more pictures of anywhere there is leather wear and under hood picts.
I got 20 more pics from the seller in Georgia, they just got it from a wealthy builder in Atlanta on a new DB9 Carbon, it's pristine with all the dealer service records, seems like a good deal, just concerned with the tick issue.

I can go higher in price, just having issues finding it in AM Titanium Silver, if you see any for sale elsewhere please let me know.

Originally Posted by 07sportspack
Looks to be a good value. I'd opt for a 09 or later if I were in the market. BTW- Virages are somewhat under appreciated and often offered at a good value. Good luck
I was thinking the same, I'm losing about 40k on the Viper Total so it's hard to justify spending so mush, I like the Virage as well, trying to spend between 35-47k, I will keep my eyes pealed, does anyone sell cars on these or other forums ? Only see Vantages for sale.. Thanks.

Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
That is a LOT of car for the money. I'd think its worth a look in person for sure.
Agreed !!

2001 ACR, StopTech BBK, Chassis Tuned by Eric Metzger, Engine Tuned by Dan Cragin, 600whp, All Motor, She was my Dream Car, She bit me, now I'm going the English GT route, less bite !!

Old 06-18-2019, 10:28 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all

I agree on this! I wouldn't take anything less than 60k for my 05" DB9. But of course its a 1 of 20 6-spd manual in better than factory condition. So way different. For 35k why not. Drive the crap out of it and dont worry about miles. Appears decent. Surprised they show main photos of the car with the wheels dirty pretty badly.

My DB9 05 has 35k for miles and runs great. No issue with he motor. The leather appeared pretty nice and not worn much, I would though see how it drives. It may not be tight and need shocks. I would bet that they haven't been replaced and possibly need to be. If you do, go with the 09 model ones and Velocity AP lowering springs. Plus get rid of those awful wheels.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 PM

This is the DB9 im considering, wheels are cleaned up now!
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
I agree on this! I wouldn't take anything less than 60k for my 05" DB9. But of course its a 1 of 20 6-spd manual in better than factory condition. So way different. For 35k why not. Drive the crap out of it and dont worry about miles. Appears decent. Surprised they show main photos of the car with the wheels dirty pretty badly.

My DB9 05 has 35k for miles and runs great. No issue with he motor. The leather appeared pretty nice and not worn much, I would though see how it drives. It may not be tight and need shocks. I would bet that they haven't been replaced and possibly need to be. If you do, go with the 09 model ones and Velocity AP lowering springs. Plus get rid of those awful wheels.
My thinking precisely, it seems to be in great shape, I will text the salesman about the shocks, how much are they from AM ? aftermarket options thru Velocity AP ? Agreed about the wheels, the later pics they actually cleaned the wheels, I will be changing them ASAP, funny you should mention the wheels because I read alot of your posts about wheels and offsets and loved your wheels on your DB9, your part of the reason I went with the DB9 over the Vantage, I don't recall, who makes your wheels, sizes and offsets? they look perfect !!

And what is the DBS like front diffuser your running ? Looks great too!!

I'm gonna be removing the front license plate bracket ASAP and I was told the 05's are a ***** to remove. Do you or anyone know if this is true ?

Thanks for the Input- Justin

Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 AM
JPS-ATL is on a distinguished road
I'm in Atlanta and went to the same dealer to look at a Vantage when I was in the market earlier this year (wasn't the rigt car for me). They seem like decent guys, not the sort that would try to knowingly rip you off. But of course, caveat emptor. I could take a quick look at it later this week if you're serious as my office is fairly close by. But of course my amateur eye does not equate to a PPI. Motorcars of Georgia is the Atlanta AM dealer, unfortunately the local AM independent just went out of business.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by JPS-ATL
I'm in Atlanta and went to the same dealer to look at a Vantage when I was in the market earlier this year (wasn't the rigt car for me). They seem like decent guys, not the sort that would try to knowingly rip you off. But of course, caveat emptor. I could take a quick look at it later this week if you're serious as my office is fairly close by. But of course my amateur eye does not equate to a PPI. Motorcars of Georgia is the Atlanta AM dealer, unfortunately the local AM independent just went out of business.
Thanks JPS, yea if you have some free time I would be most appreciative, I'm all the way across the country so it would help me make my decision, you could hear the engine and possibly take it for a quick drive and feel if the shocks/bushings and transmission are all tight and smooth !! Much obliged !!

Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Intrazel
My thinking precisely, it seems to be in great shape, I will text the salesman about the shocks, how much are they from AM ? aftermarket options thru Velocity AP ? Agreed about the wheels, the later pics they actually cleaned the wheels, I will be changing them ASAP, funny you should mention the wheels because I read alot of your posts about wheels and offsets and loved your wheels on your DB9, your part of the reason I went with the DB9 over the Vantage, I don't recall, who makes your wheels, sizes and offsets? they look perfect !!

And what is the DBS like front diffuser your running ? Looks great too!!

I'm gonna be removing the front license plate bracket ASAP and I was told the 05's are a ***** to remove. Do you or anyone know if this is true ?

Thanks for the Input- Justin
My front splitter is from V-Collection as is my rear diffuser and tail lip. Their Carbon Fiber work is stellar but not cheap.

Not sure expense of the shocks etc......I would most likely actually just to the BC Forged coilover set which are not that expensive. Solves the shock issue (If there is one or when) and lowers it a bit all in one.

Wheels are BC Forged ---------If you buy the DB9; then message me and I will put you in touch with a person there. They have the specifics on my wheels. They were a first for that style and pushed their limits getting either 10in or 10.5 wide on the rear for me. ie....that forged wheel to get the offset they pushed the limit. They sit perfect on my car.

Ok, here are a bunch of pictures of various changes. This 05' is a 6-speed manual which Aston did NOT offer in 05. They didnt offer it till 06. My mine is a March build in 05. Factory said they made no more than 20 in manuals and they think less than 12 exist today. So I guess pretty darn rare with a factory non option for that year. So i want to keep any modification basically a bolt on where the vehicle can be returned to OEM like new at any time.

1. Caliper color change from black to a stupid brown then to yellow
2. Steering wheel recovered and stitched in the white thread/ alcantara on the sides
3. DBS shifter installed
4. DBS center console retrofitted and installed
5. Front splitter, rear diffuser, and rear tail lip ( I have a Volante 2013 DB9 trunk lid for anyone who wants one to make thier early DB9 look like the DBS rear lip)
6. Velocity AP lowering springs
7. VAP tune
8. Airbox delete
9. Licence Plate rear bumper delete-----I DID NOT fill in the holes. I can't. So covered them up with initial clear PPF, then final Gloss Black PPF. you can see the holes at angles but I dont care.
10. Headliner in diamond stitched alcantara----but I have two cow hides in Obsigdian Black---willl possibly sell one, but use the other to redo the headliner in leather like the new ones.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
My front splitter is from V-Collection as is my rear diffuser and tail lip. Their Carbon Fiber work is stellar but not cheap.

Not sure expense of the shocks etc......I would most likely actually just to the BC Forged coilover set which are not that expensive. Solves the shock issue (If there is one or when) and lowers it a bit all in one.

Wheels are BC Forged ---------If you buy the DB9; then message me and I will put you in touch with a person there. They have the specifics on my wheels. They were a first for that style and pushed their limits getting either 10in or 10.5 wide on the rear for me. ie....that forged wheel to get the offset they pushed the limit. They sit perfect on my car.

Ok, here are a bunch of pictures of various changes. This 05' is a 6-speed manual which Aston did NOT offer in 05. They didnt offer it till 06. My mine is a March build in 05. Factory said they made no more than 20 in manuals and they think less than 12 exist today. So I guess pretty darn rare with a factory non option for that year. So i want to keep any modification basically a bolt on where the vehicle can be returned to OEM like new at any time.

1. Caliper color change from black to a stupid brown then to yellow
2. Steering wheel recovered and stitched in the white thread/ alcantara on the sides
3. DBS shifter installed
4. DBS center console retrofitted and installed
5. Front splitter, rear diffuser, and rear tail lip ( I have a Volante 2013 DB9 trunk lid for anyone who wants one to make thier early DB9 look like the DBS rear lip)
6. Velocity AP lowering springs
7. VAP tune
8. Airbox delete
9. Licence Plate rear bumper delete-----I DID NOT fill in the holes. I can't. So covered them up with initial clear PPF, then final Gloss Black PPF. you can see the holes at angles but I dont care.
10. Headliner in diamond stitched alcantara----but I have two cow hides in Obsigdian Black---willl possibly sell one, but use the other to redo the headliner in leather like the new ones.

She's a real beauty, thanks for the in depth reply, I now have more options to consider, I love how you basically created your own custom DB9 to DBS conversion, your car looks absolutely perfect !!
I know which direction I'm going when I get my DB9, I'm curious how the Volante 2013 DB9 trunk lid you have for sale would look, do you have any pics of it test fitted ? In my mind it would look great because the car needs more of the DBS function/form injected into it, either that or the CF diffuser your running, how much do those run ?

I'm now torn on which color to get, I've always owned Black cars and was gonna get a black DB9, but saw a silver one recently and Wow it really pops in person, now your swaying me back to the DarkSide, first world problems I guess !!
-Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally taking the Aston Martin plunge, Advice or Input is appreciated !!