Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2005 DB9 Volante - Roof Movement Paused

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 05:16 AM
Hamodi is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 DB9 Volante - Roof Movement Paused

Hi all,
DB9 has recently started to show "Roof Movement Paused" error every time I try to raise and lower the roof.

The roof still lowers completely fine but when it reaches the end of the cycle it doesn't say "Movement Complete" as it normally should, and once I release the switch it will come up with the "Roof Movement Paused" error.
When trying to raise the roof back up, everything functions normally but when the roof is about 2 inches away from the windscreen it stops, but if I release the switch and press again, it fully completes the cycle. But again, it doesn't say "Movement Complete" and eventually when I release the switch it will come up with the "Roof Movement Paused" error.

The only way I can get around having this error show on the screen and it constantly beeping as I drive is to lower the roof, lock the car, unlock it again after a couple of minutes then drive it with no errors showing.

I would appreciate any pointers or troubleshooting steps if anyone has come across this before. I've seen a few threads on the forum where either the motor wasn't working, the roof latch wasn't clicking in place, the windows weren't going up, etc. but it seems like my issue is different from those as everything is working as it should but it's registering this error.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hamodi; 04-27-2024 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:11 PM
MikeD will become famous soon enough
Have you reset the windows? That's a common problem. Low voltage or a battery change can mess up the roof movement. I'd make sure you have a good battery, fully charged, and reset the windows. If that doesn't help, your roof module may be on the fritz. Mine failed over a period of 10 or so drives. Other weird errors appeared and eventually my roof (and some instruments) didn't work. A new roof module cured everything.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:16 AM
Hi Mike, thanks for the pointers. I did notice last week that the passenger window was stopping about an inch from the top and I had to let go and pull the switch again to make it reach the top. I did reset the window after noticing that and that has fixed the passenger window issue. I was really hopeful that would fix the roof error but unfortunately not.

Thanks for letting me know about the roof module. Could you let me know where this is located and are there any troubleshooting steps or is it just a matter of swapping it out for a new one and hoping that resolves the issue?

Old 04-29-2024, 11:20 AM
Something I just noticed which might help in troubleshooting this...

As previously mentioned, after closing the roof and letting go of the 'roof close' button, it says "roof movement paused". However, if I pull the 'roof close' button again, I notice that for a split-second it will try to raise the passenger window, almost as if it thinks it isn't fully closed but it already is. I notice that it will keep doing this whenever I release and re-engage the 'roof close' button. The driver's side window does not react in the same way.

I've already tried re-calibrating/resetting the windows on both sides but thought I would mention this in case it means anything to anyone?

Old 04-29-2024, 05:59 PM
When my roof module began to fail, there were additional symptoms that I presume you haven't experienced (like the instruments not working intermittently).

Sounds like your windows need to be reset. Do this when you have the roof up and latched. Put the driver's window down and continue holding the switch for several seconds, then raise the window, again holding the switch for several seconds. Do the same with the passenger's window. Then, using the roof button, do the same for all the windows together. I think that might solve your problem. Fingers crossed.

If and when you need to replace your roof module (which is probably just a matter of time), you'll find it behind the driver's side rear fender liner, which is accessible after removing the wheel.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:48 PM
Thanks MikeD. The car isn't displaying any other symptoms. I tried the window reset again on both sides but unfortunately no difference. I didn't understand the bit you mentioned about using the roof button to do the same for all the windows together? Do you mean close the roof but hold down the button to also reset the system? If so, I have tried that also. As soon as I eventually let go of the button, the error message will display.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:09 PM
I looked back at an old post of mine and it refreshed my memory.

The roof switch is the only means of raising and lowering the rear windows. You need to get the rear windows all the way up before you reset the front windows.