Question About Registering Car Where Engine VIN Doesn't Match Car Vin...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 AM
SFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of light
Question About Registering Car Where Engine VIN Doesn't Match Car Vin...

I searched around to try and find the answer but couldn't find one, so hopefully someone here has input. I am going to have a car built for me, and it will involve a motor swap. When DMV does a check to register your car is there going to be a problem if my motor VIN does not match my car VIN?

- I can't register the car before the swap because the car is motorless and in a different state.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 AM
ishmerc will become famous soon enough
If your car is not salvage ,I don't even think they check .If your car is salvage ,they usually want you to take it to CHP to get it check out before they let you register it .Just make sure you have receipt for the motor ,they just want to make sure that the part is not stolen .

Old 01-08-2010, 01:12 AM
SFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ishmerc
If your car is not salvage ,I don't even think they check .If your car is salvage ,they usually want you to take it to CHP to get it check out before they let you register it .Just make sure you have receipt for the motor ,they just want to make sure that the part is not stolen .

Hmmm, I am buying the motor and the shell from the same guy. Shell is clean title, so ok there. But I am not sure if I could come up with a receipt for the motor.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 AM
ishmerc will become famous soon enough
What kind of car is it ? From my experience ,they don't usually check if your car has a clean title .That was 10yrs ago when I use to work at a body shop ,I don't know about now .

Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
It's an '87 BMW 325.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Banned
Skylin818 has a spectacular aura aboutSkylin818 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SFdreamer
It's an '87 BMW 325.

call up Los Angeles county CHP harbor division / south division ask for Officer Hammond who does the really technical inspections.

should give you a lot of info on what to do

just remember any swap from the OE motor is a blah blah blah with the EPA but if all items are the same its no issue or if the motor is from a newer car you should be ok but then you need to talk with CARB.